News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

ACDC River Plate

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, June 14, 2012, 04:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Ecurb Noselrub

Buddy

I loved ACDC when I was little. Still do. I think my favorite song of theirs is Shoot to Thrill.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tom62

I loved AC/DC when Bon Scott was still alive. After his death, I didn't really care about the band any more.   
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Ecurb Noselrub

I do understand the devotion to Bon Scott - I know many people who had no use for the band after his death. But life goes on.  Here's the case for Brian Johnson:

1) the first album with Johnson was Back in Black, which is, at last count, the third most successful album in history (after Thriller and a U2 album).  This is when they became the best rock band in history, a feat they never achieved with Bon.

2) their last tour, Black Ice, with Johnson, lasted two years and was the third highest grossing tour of all time, bringing in almost 1/2 billion dollars.  This is when they were all in their 50's and 60's, still rocking stadiums with 100,000 young people in several continents.

3) Johnson has been with them for 32 years. That's staying power and dependability. Bon lasted 6 years and died in his own vomit. You can't depend on people who die in their own vomit.

Bon was good and it's a pity he killed himself with excess.  That's lost potential.  Side by side, he may have been better.  But Johnson is money in the bank. 

Firebird

I saw them on the Black Ice tour, and they kicked ass, even though they were playing the same songs they've been doing since Bonn Scott. Angus did a 20-minute solo that blew the stadium away. Definitely one of my favorite shows.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Tom62

I believe that the band has matured over the years, but that Brian's voice is missing some substance. He is doing OK, but he will never be one of my favourite rock singers. Unlike Angus, who is [and will ever be] my guitar hero. That guy really, really rocks your socks off.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Ecurb Noselrub

The Magic Pudding

Ah now I get it, River Plate is a Buenos Aires Stadium, I didn't think you'd get much of a crowd down at the tip of South America.  River Plate does sound more exotic than the Bexley North Hotel I suppose.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on June 17, 2012, 07:05:32 AM
Ah now I get it, River Plate is a Buenos Aires Stadium, I didn't think you'd get much of a crowd down at the tip of South America.  River Plate does sound more exotic than the Bexley North Hotel I suppose.

Argentinian youth apparently love rock, and especially ACDC.  This concert was one of the most energetic I've ever seen (I only saw it on video, but if you look at the entire concert, the crowd was phenomenal.)

Sandra Craft

I'm still grooving on this one: Dirty Deeds.  Altho I have to admit the guy in the school boy outfit creeps me out a little.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on June 20, 2012, 02:58:05 AM
I'm still grooving on this one: Dirty Deeds.  Altho I have to admit the guy in the school boy outfit creeps me out a little.

Angus Young's school boy outfit is his signature uniform. It was suggested back in the 70's by his older sister. She, by the way, is the one who also came up with the name "ACDC."  Typically, as the show goes on, he sheds the top part.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 20, 2012, 03:28:49 AM
Angus Young's school boy outfit is his signature uniform. It was suggested back in the 70's by his older sister. She, by the way, is the one who also came up with the name "ACDC."  Typically, as the show goes on, he sheds the top part.

Even creepier.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

MadBomr101

AC/DC is one of my absolute favorite rock bands ever.  The fact that you love them as well shows that there can still be common ground for atheists and Xians to share.  I'm especially pleased that you've chosen AC/DC because of several Xians I've met in the past who considered their music satanic.  They're an awesome band.

Speaking of satanic, here's my favorite AC/DC song -  Hells Bells

Also, Bon may have been a good fit for the band initially but it took Johnson for them to reach their full potential.  It was his songwriting skill and distinctive, powerful vocals that made all the difference.  I've never believed they would've become so successful and lasting with Bon.
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Stevil

I like ACDC, they are a bit of fun. I prefer metal to hard rock because it is more complex and hence longer lasting, but hard rock is easily accessible and has an enjoyable level of energy to it.

The Razor's Edge is my favourite ACDC album and I like Brian Jonston's voice, it is very distinctive. I prefer his voice over Bon's.

My favourite vocal styles are smooth though like Bruce Dickinson, Michael Kiske, Rob Halford, Ronnie Dio, they tend to exhibit more vocal range and versatility.

But great bands don't have to have great singers, Megadeth for example, Annihilator etc.

Angus ain't the best guitarist in the world, but he has a distinctive style and is fun to watch.