News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Why Are There Gay Men?

Started by AnimatedDirt, June 12, 2012, 09:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevil

Anyone else have any theories on why we desire good looking people?
Make it real, don't just say natural selection, why are you personally attracted to a good looking person? What goes through your conscious mind?

Tank

Quote from: Stevil on July 16, 2012, 08:46:41 PM
Make it real, don't just say natural selection, why are you personally attracted to a good looking person? What goes through your conscious mind?
But natural selection is real. One can't simply dismiss it or we're into woo and lala land speculation.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

I think it has as much to do with ugly people being aesthetically repulsive as with the pretty people being aesthetically pleasing.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

DeterminedJuliet

To a point, I have no idea. One of my friends has a thing for olive-skinned guys. I tend to like broad, scruffy guys with dark features. I had a prof who likes red-heads of both genders. Why do we have these preferences? Who knows. Why do we have a favourite kind of food? Why does one painting appeal to us over another? I'm sure there are evolutionary factors, but I doubt we'll ever be able to figure what they all are any time soon.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Ali

Quote from: Asmodean on July 16, 2012, 08:50:49 PM
I think it has as much to do with ugly people being aesthetically repulsive as with the pretty people being aesthetically pleasing.

Ouch!

Stevil, I kind of think it has to be some sort of natural selection or subconscious thing (like Tank was talking about, where a symetrical face is more pleasing because it signifies good healthy genes.)  Otherwise, why is anything attractive at all?  Like, why would we find one trait (let's say a straight nose) more attractive than another (let's say a hooked nose.)  It seems totally arbitrary if it isn't somehow built into our genes.

En_Route

I think to myself she looks like a healthy, efficient child- bearer who can be trusted to propagate my  invaluable genes . I owe it to humanity to give her a good seeing to.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Stevil

Quote from: Tank on July 16, 2012, 08:49:35 PM
But natural selection is real. One can't simply dismiss it or we're into woo and lala land speculation.
On an individual level, why do we select? Why won't just any partner do? Why do we dream of sexy people? Why do some of us see a sexy person and wonder how great it would be to have sex with them? Yet we see an unattractive person and don't think about sex at all.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: En_Route on July 16, 2012, 08:55:54 PM

I think to myself she looks like a healthy, efficient child- bearer who can be trusted to propagate my  invaluable genes . I owe it to humanity to give her a good seeing to.

Such a romantic!  :D
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Asmodean

Quote from: Ali on July 16, 2012, 08:54:05 PM
Ouch!
What? Crimson is red, a car is a vehicle and ugly is repulsive.  ???
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

Quote from: En_Route on July 16, 2012, 08:55:54 PM

Humanity thanks you for taking one (or many) for the team.

Ali

Quote from: Asmodean on July 16, 2012, 08:57:47 PM
Ouch!
What? Crimson is red, a car is a vehicle and ugly is repulsive.  ???

Repulsive is an adjective that goes much deeper than merely "ugly."  "Ugly" simply means "not physically attractive."  "Repulsive" is something that makes your skin crawl, or disgusts you.  I've seen plenty of unattractive people in my 32 years, but very few of them have actually made my skin crawl.

En_Route

Quote from: Ali on July 16, 2012, 09:00:43 PM

Humanity thanks you for taking one (or many) for the team.

That is good. I resent it bitterly, but it is good.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Stevil

Stevil, I kind of think it has to be some sort of natural selection or subconscious thing (like Tank was talking about, where a symetrical face is more pleasing because it signifies good healthy genes.)  Otherwise, why is anything attractive at all?  Like, why would we find one trait (let's say a straight nose) more attractive than another (let's say a hooked nose.)  It seems totally arbitrary if it isn't somehow built into our genes.
But on a personal level. Conscious level.
What is it that you want to do to a beautiful person, but not necessarily what you want to do to other beautiful things (like a new pair of shoes)

We have sexual desires don't we? Can you not admit that superficially we want to have sex with beautiful people? (even if it is just an urge). I know when we go that step further into reality we assess other things as well e.g. personality, career, wealth...

But if we tend towards beautiful then they have an advantage, they get more opportunity with regards to people breaking the ice and getting to know them.

Ali

Quote from: Stevil on July 16, 2012, 09:11:42 PM
But on a personal level. Conscious level.
What is it that you want to do to a beautiful person, but not necessarily what you want to do to other beautiful things (like a new pair of shoes)

We have sexual desires don't we? Can you not admit that superficially we want to have sex with beautiful people? (even if it is just an urge). I know when we go that step further into reality we assess other things as well e.g. personality, career, wealth...

But if we tend towards beautiful then they have an advantage, they get more opportunity with regards to people breaking the ice and getting to know them.

Maybe I'm a big weirdo, but I really don't want to have sex with "beautiful people."  At least not right off.  When I see a gorgeous man (or woman) I will of course notice that they are attractive, but "Oh man, I really want a piece of that ass" doesn't usually cross my mind.  Wanting to have sex with someone is a state I have to work my way up to, and that involves a lot more than noticing their symetrical features.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Stevil on July 16, 2012, 09:11:42 PM

I think it's a pretty well documented fact that attractive people get treated better and have more advantages than non-attractive people in many areas of life. It's not fair, and I certainly try to treat everyone the same when I should, but it is true.