News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Told my date...

Started by daddyferrari, June 12, 2012, 03:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevil

You can be a mass murderer, a child rapist, a con artist or a drug dealer those a person can look past.

But an Atheist, not even god forgives that one.

AnimatedDirt

I have no clue what this female's ideals are concerning God or her Christianity.

But I think there's a thread somewhere on HAF Athiests, would you marry a religious person?

In the least, the concensus seems to be that of caution.  What's the difference?  A religious person simply acknowledges a higher code to live by, not that that code is kept perfectly.  We are human and still have human emotions and human failings.

Sure, we are hypocrites...its human nature to do what feels good.

Quote from: Stevil on June 14, 2012, 09:19:36 PM
You can be a mass murderer, a child rapist, a con artist or a drug dealer those a person can look past.

God can and does forgive...even the atheist in the same manner He forgives the murderer...

You haven't been zapped dead have you?

Ali

Quote from: fester30 on June 14, 2012, 08:39:23 PM
As for why he would continue seeing her if he didn't see it going anywhere long term... why not?  If you have nothing else going on, there's more to life than just love.  Just dating and hanging out with someone (and, of course, what red-blooded American male wouldn't want to knock boots when given the opportunity to be used for such purpose?) can be a very positive experience, even if there isn't love involved.

Sure, but he doesn't even really sound like he likes her.

Stevil

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on June 14, 2012, 09:32:31 PM
Quote from: Stevil on June 14, 2012, 09:19:36 PM

God can and does forgive...even the atheist in the same manner He forgives the murderer...

You haven't been zapped dead have you?
If I believe what you tell me, your god is going to burn me into oblivion, (after I'm dead of course, in the "afterlife"), can't wait for that one.

En_Route

Quote from: Ali on June 14, 2012, 10:03:49 PM
As for why he would continue seeing her if he didn't see it going anywhere long term... why not?  If you have nothing else going on, there's more to life than just love.  Just dating and hanging out with someone (and, of course, what red-blooded American male wouldn't want to knock boots when given the opportunity to be used for such purpose?) can be a very positive experience, even if there isn't love involved.

Sex with someone you thoroughly dislike can be a very beautiful thing.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

daddyferrari

You all are awesome!! 
Update.  We're both very open and up front with one another and, honestly, are really using each other for companionship.  We get along good, on most levels.  She's really pretty open minded and that's a plus.  We know that this is not a "love connection", but we are having a good time and enjoying each others company, while we can.
I was a little nervous, at first, because of her past, but I feel alright about it.  Either she's a really good liar or she's genuinely a good person, with a rough past.  Regardless, we'll enjoy our time together, debate over religion, go to the movies and hang out until one of us decides to move on. 
Thanks again all, I think I'm in love with this website, oh and thechive.com!
Take care all!

Hector Valdez

Huh. I admit to lacking particular insight into such a situation. The last time I revealed an admission of nonexistent faith, the nature of brevity in the relationship became somewhat...exacerbated.

Then again, I do remember another relationship that exemplifies a reversal of roles in light of such an admission. It was I who abandoned her.

Stevil

Quote from: RenegeReversi on June 23, 2012, 09:23:13 PM
Then again, I do remember another relationship that exemplifies a reversal of roles in light of such an admission. It was I who abandoned her.
You where religious at the time?
Couldn't stand her not being Christian?

Hector Valdez

Pretty much, yeah. Though she technically was a christian. Just belonged to a small cult of, like, 15 members.

cncracer

I found it was always good to be up front when asked directly. I might start by saying I was a Strong Agnostic, but most people recognize that as an Atheist. When I was in the dating part of my life I was in college, and that time period made being an Atheist or Agnostic almost acceptable.
I found a person who is a deist, and has been able to put up with my endless bitching on Religion or the Catholic Church yet still see other layers of my personality. I guess I was lucky.
I would suggest you look in areas with higher education levels for your girlfriends. It will make life a lot easier. 

cncracer

Quote from: En_Route on June 15, 2012, 12:02:34 AM

I don't fully agree with this. Sex with someone you don't like can be a physical release, and can be good. Same can be said of masturbation, but sex with someone who you care about can be a mind blowing experience. I have had both and once you find the mind blowing experience it would be hard to return to Just sex.   

En_Route

Quote from: cncracer on June 25, 2012, 12:50:14 PM

I don't fully agree with this. Sex with someone you don't like can be a physical release, and can be good. Same can be said of masturbation, but sex with someone who you care about can be a mind blowing experience. I have had both and once you find the mind blowing experience it would be hard to return to Just sex.   

Maybe, but it can turn messy. There is something to be said for separating sex from your personal life.

Ali

Quote from: En_Route on June 25, 2012, 02:19:52 PM

Maybe, but it can turn messy. There is something to be said for separating sex from your personal life.

I don't hold any romantic notions that you have to be "in love" with every person you sleep with, but I can't fathom sleeping with someone that I don't even like.  Laughing during sex is like the best thing ever. (Because it combines two best things ever) and so I have made it a rule that I will never sleep with someone that doesn't make me laugh.  It's a moot point nowadays since I also don't sleep with anyone other than my husband (who, not coincidentally, makes me laugh more or less constantly) but I still think it's a good rule.

En_Route

Quote from: Ali on June 25, 2012, 04:16:12 PM
Quote from: En_Route on June 25, 2012, 02:19:52 PM

I don't hold any romantic notions that you have to be "in love" with every person you sleep with, but I can't fathom sleeping with someone that I don't even like.  Laughing during sex is like the best thing ever. (Because it combines two best things ever) and so I have made it a rule that I will never sleep with someone that doesn't make me laugh.  It's a moot point nowadays since I also don't sleep with anyone other than my husband (who, not coincidentally, makes me laugh more or less constantly) but I still think it's a good rule.

There is no mirth in my boudoir. Well apart from me and that is more of a manic cackle.

Ali

That's a terrifying mental image.  :D