News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

For the US/Texan motor sports fans here.

Started by Tank, June 11, 2012, 04:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

Could that be a little bit of snobbery, do you think?  Kind of like the pictures of the European woman and the American woman, as if there are no heavy Europeans, and no attractive Americans?  ;)

Crow

Quote from: Ali on June 23, 2012, 02:59:31 PM
Just curious about what makes NASCAR "the lowest form of motor racing"?  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a NASCAR fan.  To me, watching cars race around a track is a completely charmless and boring proposition.  But I feel that way about all car racing, not just NASCAR.  What makes NASCAR "lower" than any other form.  Aren't they all just people driving cars around a track for entertainment purposes?

Well it takes considerable skill way beyond the norm for racing such as F1 or MotoGP, and peek physical conditioning. The reason I say its the lowest form is the entire point of NASCAR is to try and not crash but they pretend its about something else, everything about the design of the cars is to create a crash. It does take skill but its skill in avoiding a crash. I just find it rather twisted that someone would rather watch a crash rather than watch someone of outstanding talent.

I wrote crash a lot, cant be arsed editing it.
Retired member.

Ali

I guess I don't know enough about racing, but it would seem to me that whenever one is driving like 200mph, avoiding a crash would be a priority, and would take a lot of skill and training.  But I'm certainly not the expert, as I don't follow either kind of racing.

Crow

Quote from: Ali on June 23, 2012, 03:47:20 PM
I guess I don't know enough about racing, but it would seem to me that whenever one is driving like 200mph, avoiding a crash would be a priority, and would take a lot of skill and training.  But I'm certainly not the expert, as I don't follow either kind of racing.

Crashing is part of racing, every other high end format of racing does as much as possible to reduce the risk of it, it usually something you don't want to see happen as its very likely to be very serious injury or death. But in NASCAR its format is going to cause more crashes than driver or mechanical fault.
Retired member.

Tank

Quote from: Ali on June 23, 2012, 03:35:14 PM
Could that be a little bit of snobbery, do you think?  Kind of like the pictures of the European woman and the American woman, as if there are no heavy Europeans, and no attractive Americans?  ;)
My 'dig' with the photo was aimed at Happy_is_Good. And was aimed at the type of cars used.

F1 

The aerodynamisist are one of the most highly paid positions at an F1 team.
F1 drives carbon fibre and composite research not aircraft design.

NASCAR

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ali

Oh sure, pick the M&M car to prove your point.   ;D  There has to be more serious looking NASCAR cars out there. 

Crow

Retired member.

Tank

Quote from: Ali on June 23, 2012, 04:54:20 PM
Oh sure, pick the M&M car to prove your point.   ;D  There has to be more serious looking NASCAR cars out there. 
I never noticed it was M&M !!!!

It was just the right sized image  :D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Ali

Quote from: Tank on June 23, 2012, 05:11:25 PM
Quote from: Ali on June 23, 2012, 04:54:20 PM
I never noticed it was M&M !!!!

It was just the right sized image  :D

As an American, my eye was drawn immediately to the paid advertisement, and then my brain went "M&M's,  that sounds delish.  I should go out and buy some...." :D

Crow

Quote from: Ali on June 23, 2012, 05:13:52 PM
As an American, my eye was drawn immediately to the paid advertisement, and then my brain went "M&M's,  that sounds delish.  I should go out and buy some...." :D

Wish we got peanut butter m&m's over hear they are amazing.
Retired member.

technolud

I dunno if the non-Americans are aware of it, but Nascar has lately lost a lot of its commercial luster.  Common belief is that it is due to all the cars becoming essentially identical and having absolutely zero to do with "stock" cars.  30 year ago a chevy was based on a chevy and a ford on a ford.  More like the european sedan races I guess.

I'm not a particularly big fan of oval track racing but I think you have to give all the drivers thier due. 

And while Tank is correct in saying this year is exceptional for F1, there have been many years that has not been the case and the only passing during the race was happening in the pit stops.  I watched the F1 race at Indy some years back and I don't think there were three passes in the whole race and if I recall Schumacher's team mate slowed down at the end to let Shumacher pass and win.

Speaking of Schumacher, he really is a turd.  Him and his mentor Senna.  I think both did great damage to the sport.

Tank

The F1 rules changed last year and introduced a modification to the cars called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_reduction_system it has worked very well indeed and increased the number of passes. In addition Schumacher had such a horrid psychological effect which has now gone. Loads of drivers know they can win and do!

Crow

Quote from: Tank on June 23, 2012, 06:58:55 PM
The F1 rules changed last year and introduced a modification to the cars called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_reduction_system it has worked very well indeed and increased the number of passes. In addition Schumacher had such a horrid psychological effect which has now gone. Loads of drivers know they can win and do!

Yeah it changed drastically and for the better, I think the Button race in Canada last year was my favorite F1 race so far.

Since Schumacher broke his back he hasn't really been on top form. But every now and again he shows a spark of brilliance.
Retired member.

technolud

Well maybe I need to give it another vid. 

On some of the other threads they are talking about morals again, asking it be defined.  Maybe if we start with "immoral = Schumacher"  (at least limited to race car driving, maybe he's a really nice guy off track) we could get somewhere.

Am I over doing this?

Schumacher would be the one forcing the other car onto the grass.

Tank

Quote from: technolud on June 23, 2012, 08:11:35 PM
Well maybe I need to give it another vid. 

On some of the other threads they are talking about morals again, asking it be defined.  Maybe if we start with "immoral = Schumacher"  (at least limited to race car driving, maybe he's a really nice guy off track) we could get somewhere.

Am I over doing this?

Schumacher would be the one forcing the other car onto the grass.

He was a cheat no doubt about that whatsoever.