News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Introvert? Extrovert?

Started by Amicale, May 09, 2012, 12:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Space Pope Approved

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 10, 2012, 06:05:49 AM
I wonder how many introverts find a partner of a similar nature or are pried out of their hiding places by marauding extroverts.

I think it's harder for introverts to find each other 'cause we're, ya know, introverts.  But we're better suited to one of those half-intro-half-extroverts than a full-on extrovert, in my opinion.  I've met extroverts who truly do not believe that there are people who don't want to be surrounded by others all the freaking time!!!

Tank

Quote from: Space Pope Approved on May 10, 2012, 10:09:59 PM
I wonder how many introverts find a partner of a similar nature or are pried out of their hiding places by marauding extroverts.

I think it's harder for introverts to find each other 'cause we're, ya know, introverts.  But we're better suited to one of those half-intro-half-extroverts than a full-on extrovert, in my opinion.  I've met extroverts who truly do not believe that there are people who don't want to be surrounded by others all the freaking time!!!
Well I'm an extrovert but if I don't get some quality 'me time' I turn into a right grump!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Velma

Quote from: Tank on May 10, 2012, 10:19:01 PM
Quote from: Space Pope Approved on May 10, 2012, 10:09:59 PM

Well I'm an extrovert but if I don't get some quality 'me time' I turn into a right grump!
We wouldn't want that to happen!  Grumpy admins can be dangerous!
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Amicale

I've heard a LOT about that book -- on a facebook group, in a couple different podcasts, from a couple different people I know, and now here. :)

I believe I'll get my hands on a copy and give this one a go, soon.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

jumbojak

This thread has left me pondering web forum demographics. Is anyone aware of such research on this subject? I am scouring the web for any resources, however my initial querries turned up nothing, with the oddly ironic exception of an article on school prayer. The article cites a letter by Rabbi David Seidenberg which makes what seems to be a strong case against any mandated moment of silence in public schools.

I was looking into a collumnist named Reuven Lerner, who is researching online learning communities. I am nearly certain there have been numerous studies conducted in exactly this area, given the prevalence of data mining social media for marketing purposes. Then again forums may not be considered hip enough for such an effort to be justified.

And I am quite introverted myself.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Jimmy

You know, I think I may be an introvert who has become more extroverted with age., but not enough to make me an extrovert. In fact, I used to be incredibly shy. Although I now feel pretty comfortable around people, it is probably because I have to work with strangers and new acquaintances on a daily basis and may have developed some half-way descent social skills. But I'm also pretty easy going and friendly and empathetic and I think that helps. After thinking about it all a while, as introverts would do, I talked to someone at work the other day and suggested that I am an introvert and they seemed pleasantly suprised, whereas my parents could have told me that already. Extrovert at work, introvert at home? Sounds about right. I'm also a rather deep thinker and do spend a lot of time alone without the need to go out and socialize, but at the same time I love being around people so I can share ideas and discuss and have become rather good at small talk. But, I can remember sucking at that long ago. I even researched the Myers/Briggs personality test this weekend, and although I'm rather skeptical of them for numerous reasons, I would have to say that INTP fits me pretty well. Does anyone else know their type from this particular personality assessment?
For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

Amicale

Jimmy, depending on the mood I'm in when I take it, I'm either an INFP or an INFJ. Go figure.  :D Either fit with being reasonably but not exclusively introverted, though.

INFJ, the 'protector': http://www.personalitypage.com/INFJ.html

INFP, the 'idealist': http://www.personalitypage.com/INFP.html

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

markmcdaniel

Definitely an introvert. I am more comfortable in my own mind than being with others. I like other people well enough but I do not want to spend all my time with them. I suspect that atheists are inclined to be introverts. If we were not comfortable with our own thoughts and did need to be with other people all of the tie I doubt that many of us could make that final step.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Hector Valdez

My extroversion is like a switch. I can flip it on and off, but usually only do so when the situation demands extroversion. It's quite useful.  8)

54Quix45

I'm pretty much an Introvert. I've been called quiet & shy. In some situations that is true. I've always considered myself an observer. I'll never be the life of the party type of guy. I try to avoid bringing too much attention to myself. Although, there have been nights where the drinks were flowing and stuff just happened.....LOL. All Introverts probably have at least that ONE night....you know.....LOL.

I believe I have some Extrovert qualites though.I have no problem being around groups of people. I have no problem going to small or large events. I don't really like going to small events where I only know one person there and everyone else knows everyone else. I don't feel like I mesh well in those situations. I actually love going to large events. I've planned and worked large events. I run my own Mobile DJ Service. I don't like speaking in front of strangers though. If I book events such as weddings, where I'll have to make lots of announcements, I'll hire a friend.

I have a ton of acquaintances and friends. I hardly go many places without knowing at least one person. In my day job, I deal with the public. I try to make eye contact and speak to everyone. Even outside of work I try to do the same. It's funny how many people I come across, that I speak to, that look at me crazy for speaking to them.....LOL. I don't understand those types of people. They must be Introverts or something......LOL......or just A$$holes......LOL.

Firebird

I definitely tend to be more introverted. I kind of hate that word, though; it always seemed to have some negative connotation and implied being anti-social as well, which I most certainly am not. I definitely need "down time" at the end of each day just to myself, but I also love to go out, whether with my wife or a group of my close friends. I don't really enjoy big parties where I don't know many people and am probably quiet when meeting someone new, but once I'm comfortable with you, I'm definitely outgoing.
Part of the reason I have issues with "introverted" is because my parents always told me I was the shy, quiet kid who always followed the rules, and that made me feel crappy about myself, sort of implying I was boring. Then I told this to some of my friends and my eventual wife, and they laughed their asses off because it didn't describe me at all in their eyes. This was a revelation to me. Eventually realized thanks to them and some therapy that my parents just didn't understand me at all, nor did I understand them, so I do tend to be quieter around them. Don't get me wrong, I love them to death and was very lucky to be their child, but they see a very different side of me than my friends/wife
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"