News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Queen's Diamond Jubilee

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, June 04, 2012, 04:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guardian85

Quote from: OldGit on June 06, 2012, 02:14:48 PM
No, it's the forefinger of her right hand - the one you can see.  Seems the trigger on that weapon is far forward.

Yeah, you're right. I must have been semi-delirious when I commented.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

En_Route

Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

En_Route

I was amused by the description by Steve Richards of the UK Independent newspaper of the Queen as a woman who has never said anything interesting in public. He added that he found the celebration of a dysfunctional family which survives on the basis of the hereditary principle an extreme example of irrational worship. In fairness, that kind of blind veneration is largely confined to the older generation, in particular the over- 60s. However, it is  worthy of note that a woman born into immense wealth and privilege, who has never done or said anything memorable or admirable, should be so feted and drooled over by some sections of the community.

Ali

Quote from: En_Route on June 06, 2012, 11:17:25 PM
I was amused by the description by Steve Richards of the UK Independent newspaper of the Queen as a woman who has never said anything interesting in public. He added that he found the celebration of a dysfunctional family which survives on the basis of the hereditary principle an extreme example of irrational worship. In fairness, that kind of blind veneration is largely confined to the older generation, in particular the over- 60s. However, it is  worthy of note that a woman born into immense wealth and privilege, who has never done or said anything memorable or admirable, should be so feted and drooled over by some sections of the community.

QuoteWe lost the American colonies because we lacked the statesmanship to know the right time and the manner of yielding what is impossible to keep.
- Elizabeth II
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/e/elizabeth_ii.html#pXu4dcMaGGohFczd.99

*Nods knowingly*  That was smart.  Kind of a "If you love it, let it go..." sort of thing. 

En_Route

Quote from: Ali on June 07, 2012, 12:26:38 AM
Quote from: En_Route on June 06, 2012, 11:17:25 PM

QuoteWe lost the American colonies because we lacked the statesmanship to know the right time and the manner of yielding what is impossible to keep.
- Elizabeth II
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/e/elizabeth_ii.html#pXu4dcMaGGohFczd.99

*Nods knowingly*  That was smart.  Kind of a "If you love it, let it go..." sort of thing. 

I notice you didn't mention the previous gem about the bible. And anyway have you ever heard of speechwriters?

Ecurb Noselrub

Well, in defense of the Queen (from a Texan who has no allegiance to her or to her queendom), royalty does provide a sense of stability and continuity that is important to national identity and survival.  Every nation needs institutions that promote a sense of permanence and security.  In America we have a written Constitution, in the UK you have the Queen.  The advantage of royalty is that there is a human face to represent the institution.  The Constitution is a document, not a human.  I could write a few more paragraphs about this, but my wife (Queen) wants to take a walk. 

Crow

I would say the Independent article is correct, but the monarchy doesn't really have any power and is more a marketing tool for Britain which if you look at international perceptions is still very successful at doing its job. Personally I like that position but I would like the constitution to be shaken up a bit, they can get rid of "Dieu et mon droit" as I don't think even the Christians believe that one and the lyrics to the national anthem is awful so they can do with a change as well.
Retired member.

Firebird

I'm sure she's a good person and all, but I just don't understand the insane amount of attention that the royals get. At least the Constitution is still relevant today. What do the royals ultimately do?The way people were fawning over the wedding, the amount of stories that get written about every facet of their lives, I just find it wasteful. There are so many more important things to worry about than what Kate Middleton wore or how nice Pippa's butt looks.
I don't mean to offend those in the UK. This is not a reflection of how I feel about your country; hell, I loved visiting the UK. I just don't get this.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Beachdragon

Quote from: Firebird on June 07, 2012, 05:00:12 AM
I'm sure she's a good person and all, but I just don't understand the insane amount of attention that the royals get. At least the Constitution is still relevant today. What do the royals ultimately do?The way people were fawning over the wedding, the amount of stories that get written about every facet of their lives, I just find it wasteful. There are so many more important things to worry about than what Kate Middleton wore or how nice Pippa's butt looks.
I don't mean to offend those in the UK. This is not a reflection of how I feel about your country; hell, I loved visiting the UK. I just don't get this.

Meh, it's just like here in the states where hollywood and the politicos get gossiped and written about ad nauseum. 

En_Route

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 07, 2012, 01:20:18 AM
Well, in defense of the Queen (from a Texan who has no allegiance to her or to her queendom), royalty does provide a sense of stability and continuity that is important to national identity and survival.  Every nation needs institutions that promote a sense of permanence and security.  In America we have a written Constitution, in the UK you have the Queen.  The advantage of royalty is that there is a human face to represent the institution.  The Constitution is a document, not a human.  I could write a few more paragraphs about this, but my wife (Queen) wants to take a walk. 

The days of near-universal veneration of the Royal Family have long gone. The UK is devolving power to Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland; in the latter case there is the possibility, though currently looking unlikely, that it will become fully independent. Significant sections of society are alienated and disaffected as witnessed by the recent riots; many are indifferent and I for one wouldn't mourn the passing of patriotism.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: En_Route on June 08, 2012, 11:13:03 PM

The days of near-universal veneration of the Royal Family have long gone. The UK is devolving power to Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland; in the latter case there is the possibility, though currently looking unlikely, that it will become fully independent. Significant sections of society are alienated and disaffected as witnessed by the recent riots; many are indifferent and I for one wouldn't mourn the passing of patriotism.

To each his own. I, on the other hand, am a patriot.  Love of country is an important aspect of my sense of self.  Even if the royals just end up being the royals of England, so be it. They are a connection to the past, which provides a sense of continuity and stability.   But, that's your issue, not mine.  I'm a Texan.  For me, remember the Alamo!

Tank

You're Irish right?  ;)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

En_Route

Quote from: Tank on June 09, 2012, 07:09:03 AM
Well, in defense of the Queen (from a Texan who has no allegiance to her or to her queendom), royalty does provide a sense of stability and continuity that is important to national identity and survival.  Every nation needs institutions that promote a sense of permanence and security.  In America we have a written Constitution, in the UK you have the Queen.  The advantage of royalty is that there is a human face to represent the institution.  The Constitution is a document, not a human.  I could write a few more paragraphs about this, but my wife (Queen) wants to take a walk.  

You're Irish right?  ;)

Do I detect an ad hominem argument in the offing? I'm no proponent of Irish nationalism either.

Tank

Quote from: En_Route on June 09, 2012, 12:05:59 PM
Quote from: Tank on June 09, 2012, 07:09:03 AM
Well, in defense of the Queen (from a Texan who has no allegiance to her or to her queendom), royalty does provide a sense of stability and continuity that is important to national identity and survival.  Every nation needs institutions that promote a sense of permanence and security.  In America we have a written Constitution, in the UK you have the Queen.  The advantage of royalty is that there is a human face to represent the institution.  The Constitution is a document, not a human.  I could write a few more paragraphs about this, but my wife (Queen) wants to take a walk.  

You're Irish right?  ;)

Do I detect an ad hominem argument in the offing? I'm no proponent of Irish nationalism either.
No. Just a wind up  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Amicale

I've always had an interest in the British monarchy. That interest probably comes from my grandmother, who has loved the Queen since her coronation. I'm not sure I can say I share the 'love' exactly, but I have a lot of respect for the queen. She's done a lot throughout her life, and when I think about it, she's probably the most famous elderly female in the world that I can think of. Her son Charles, I don't have as much respect for. As for the younger generation... William's cute. His wife Kate even moreso. ;)

Anyhow, I'm glad that those who attended the Diamond Jubilee festivities had a good time!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan