News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Queen's Diamond Jubilee

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, June 04, 2012, 04:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

I watched the River Pageant live on BBC America. I agree that it's a shame that it rained, but in another way it was evocative of Great Britain; rain in early June certainly isn't unheard of, and the choir singing as they got drenched was a nice touch of perseverance, I thought. At least it didn't rain for the entire time.  ;)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

OldGit

As well as the big London events there were thousands of local celebrations all over the UK.

Our village had planned a big celebration out of doors, but we had to hold it in the village hall instead - the rain was piddling down.

Still, we had a good time; lots of people turned up in a good spirit.  I was on the local history display which attracted a lot of inquiries.

So, not so bad after all.

DeterminedJuliet

Badass.

My Grandmother, when she was alive, always reminded me of the Queen. I'll probably always think fondly of her for that reason.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Ali

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on June 04, 2012, 04:02:48 PM

This is epic.  The white kid gloves pulling the trigger of that big gun is a wonderful visual metaphor.

Ecurb Noselrub

The queen is not a wuss. She was a mechanic in WWII.  She came to the throne the same year I was born (1952), so I've grown up with her, even though I'm no longer a subject.  It's nice to have a Great Britain as a relative.  She (Britain) was the USA's mother, so to speak.

McQ

She is about the most amazing woman in the world. Congratulations, best wishes, and all that good stuff!

:)
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

En_Route

Quote from: McQ on June 04, 2012, 10:17:44 PM
She is about the most amazing woman in the world.

:)

Far from it.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Crow

I swear Americans like the Queen and royal family more than the English, most people I meet are indifferent about them or like me and like them but not really that bothered (a bit more since Kate has been added as she is something very nice to look at and amazingly well dressed). I was watching the news before when they were talking about the Duke of Edinburgh being taken to hospital and the entire crowd seemed to be made up solely of American tourists, I thought it was great.

That picture is fantastic.
Retired member.

Crow

Retired member.

markmcdaniel

Quote from: Crow on June 04, 2012, 10:50:31 PM
I swear Americans like the Queen and royal family more than the English, most people I meet are indifferent about them or like me and like them but not really that bothered (a bit more since Kate has been added as she is something very nice to look at and amazingly well dressed). I was watching the news before when they were talking about the Duke of Edinburgh being taken to hospital and the entire crowd seemed to be made up solely of American tourists, I thought it was great.

That picture is fantastic.
Of course we do. They are the safest kind of aristocracy. One that isn't ours and is respectable as well as entertaining. Throw in the historical tie and they become irresistible.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Guardian85

Is the Queen of England a leftie? Looking at that awesome picture she appears to be pulling the trigger with her left.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

OldGit

No, it's the forefinger of her right hand - the one you can see.  Seems the trigger on that weapon is far forward.

Tank

Quote from: OldGit on June 06, 2012, 02:14:48 PM
No, it's the forefinger of her right hand - the one you can see.  Seems the trigger on that weapon is far forward.
She's not holding the weapon it's in a clamp. It's an SA80.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.