News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Texas: Poteet School Takes Religion Out Of Graduation Ceremony

Started by joeactor, June 01, 2012, 02:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Interesting. Nice to see people trying to simply balance the playing field while still acknowledging that everybody has a right to use the playing field. Good lad IMO.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

joeactor

Quote from: Tank on June 01, 2012, 04:14:08 PM
Interesting. Nice to see people trying to simply balance the playing field while still acknowledging that everybody has a right to use the playing field. Good lad IMO.

I found it interesting that the school's motivation seemed to be more about avoiding a lawsuit (since a nearby one wasted $$$$ on one).

Not sure why it's so difficult to understand that government or tax-supported institutions should not promote religion.  Plenty of churches and private schools for that...

Tank

Quote from: joeactor on June 01, 2012, 04:20:34 PM
Quote from: Tank on June 01, 2012, 04:14:08 PM

I found it interesting that the school's motivation seemed to be more about avoiding a lawsuit (since a nearby one wasted $$$$ on one).

Not sure why it's so difficult to understand that government or tax-supported institutions should not promote religion.  Plenty of churches and private schools for that...
They do understand the issue. They just don't like it and thus try to ignore it.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Hector Valdez

Firebird

I'm a proud member of Americans United for the Separation of Church and State. They're always one of the first organizations quoted whenever the media wants to here from the "secular" side, and for good reason. In fact, a lot of their members are clergy.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Firebird on June 05, 2012, 01:07:25 AM
I'm a proud member of Americans United for the Separation of Church and State. They're always one of the first organizations quoted whenever the media wants to here from the "secular" side, and for good reason. In fact, a lot of their members are clergy.

It figures, since it was religion that first fervently pushed for a secular State to protect itself :D Kind of ironic for some religious people to want the opposite these days...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey