NC Pastor Wants Gays Behind an Electric Fence

Started by Dobermonster, May 24, 2012, 11:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 25, 2012, 04:18:44 AM
Ye but I don't think we'll starve out by being separated from these dark age creeps. 

Just to clarify, they aren't intending to starve us, we're expected to die off from lack of reproduction.  Which is so blindingly stupid it actually negates the heartlessness of the fencing off idea for me.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Harmonie

The ex-Progressive Christian in me wants to rip this guy's words apart.

But I need not to, because his logic is already so astoundingly stupid (Lets send all of the current homosexuals to camps and they'll die because they can't reproduce, and we won't have anymore homosexuals!).

Although, I think what bothers me is some of the Christians' responses I have seen to this. I literally saw one say "Big deal. Yes there are extremists in this world. There are extremist homophobes and then there are also extremist homosexuals."

Right... Because there are totally extremist homosexuals who want to take rights away from heterosexuals and send them to camps to die. And because those extremist homosexuals are totally in positions of power. They totally have a powerful concept over the masses like God to claim to speak for, and, of course, their views are totally widely accepted so they have influence over the government and law.

It's just not even comparable, I'm sorry.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Asmodean

The colorful pony hath spoken. His Infernal Gayness agrees with the wisdom

Eh... Grayness. Of course, He meant Grayness.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

Quote from: Asmodean on May 25, 2012, 04:34:59 PM
The colorful pony hath spoken. His Infernal Gayness agrees with the wisdom

Eh... Grayness. Of course, He meant Grayness.

;D ;D ;D  I like you so much.

Anyway, yes, the hate and stupidity of that comment is completely over the top.  I love that he thinks that homosexuals will die in a couple of years if they "can't reproduce."  All of the obvious answers aside (like, gay people can reproduce the good ol' fashioned way too, and gay people are overwhelmingly born from straight parents), I just think it's hilarious that he apparently assumes that reproducing is like eating and breathing.  If you don't make babies constantly, you totally curl up and die! 

This is one of those situations where "fuck" is appropriate.

Crow

So stupid in so many ways I don't even know where to begin.
Retired member.

OldGit

This is just begging for a really grotesque parody.  Mockery - that's the way to defuse this kind of stuff.

Guardian85

I wanted to make a joke about this pastors stupid remarks, but then I realised I don't have to do anything with it. It's already in joke form! I can't say anything that makes it sound more stupid then it already is.

If I didn't know this was an actual preacher, I would put legal tender on him being a poe.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Stevil

...but again, I am not so worried about the pastor, the world is full of crazies.
What worries me is that the congregation stick around through the crazy, and either justify or support it.
Would our Bruce or AD stick around through this if it were their paster? Is this typical (acceptable) Christian behavior?

Asmodean

If it was The Asmo's pasta, He would feed it to pigs.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dobermonster

Quote from: Stevil on May 25, 2012, 08:50:44 PM
...but again, I am not so worried about the pastor, the world is full of crazies.
What worries me is that the congregation stick around through the crazy, and either justify or support it.
Would our Bruce or AD stick around through this if it were their paster? Is this typical (acceptable) Christian behavior?

The problem (besides the obvious) is that Christianity is so subjective that while decent folk like Bruce or AD would say that such people are not 'true Christians', Pastor Worley and his ilk would likewise say the same of them. I've heard that a lot: 'Oh, you can't blame the faith - those guys aren't real Christians'. Everybody has their own definition of what true Christianity means. Think of driving; anyone who speeds more than you is a maniac, and anyone slower should get off the road. Everybody think they have it 'right'. And quite frankly, the Bible can be used to support this craziness as easily as it can be used to teach charity.

Stevil

Has there ever been a case of the congregation leaving a sermon or a church due to the craziness of a pastor?

I know some have left when a church gave women equal rights, but in terms of intollerance, have people left? ever?

Ali

Quote from: Stevil on May 25, 2012, 09:12:29 PM
Has there ever been a case of the congregation leaving a sermon or a church due to the craziness of a pastor?

I know some have left when a church gave women equal rights, but in terms of intollerance, have people left? ever?

I know that a couple of people left my ILs Synagogue in the middle of a sermon against homosexuality (just referenced that incident in another thread!)  But it was a guest Rabbi, so they didn't leave the congregation for good, just for that sermon.  They also expressed to their normal Rabbi as a community that they did not wish to ever have him come and speak again.  I believe the Rabbi concurred, and the guest Rabbi has not and will not be back.

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

I heard some ignorance yesterday about homosexuality when I was on the bus.  There was a man preaching for about oh say the entire damn time he was on it. So he starts right out with Jesus is coming back.  After a while he started talking about prejudice and how evil people are.  He then turned around and said gays want rights now? Gays don't get rights.  I was really trying to stay out of it so I just looked at my friend and said yep women too. you know what how about nobody gets rights.  Lock everybody up. At one point I told my friend thank god I'm an atheist. That got a laugh.  People were jumping up and running to get off that bus.  Seems not even other Christians want to hear such ignorance. 
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

Hector Valdez

Actually, it seems like things are starting to change for the better. One could say that excessively vicious rants like this are a reaction against losing traditional hold on people.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dobermonster on May 25, 2012, 12:49:00 AM
Quote from: Stevil on May 25, 2012, 12:27:19 AM
Quote from: Dobermonster on May 25, 2012, 12:01:36 AM
Quote from: Stevil on May 24, 2012, 11:50:59 PM
Do people walk out on these sermons or do the sheep just go along with what they are told?

I watched the video and heard a few 'amens'. Peer pressure alone, I think, would keep most everybody from walking out, whether they agreed with him or not.
Is peer pressure different in a church to any other organisation?
I am not one to be politically active myself, but I would certainly walk out of any speech like this. I would quit any organisation that holds this position.
I'm stunned that the congregation don't quit otherwise they are condoning this position aren't they?

I think peer pressure is quite different in a church setting. In most settings, you might be afraid of being mocked or disliked; in church, you risk damnation and excommunication. Not to mention a lot of people grow up in a church - building relationships and reaffirming beliefs that have intertwined for generations. Leaving a church, for many, would mean not only losing face but losing a large part of what makes up their life. Comments from the members also seem to indicate that the congregation generally approves of his anti-gay message, but perhaps think he went a little far in suggesting homosexuals should be a concentration camp. All in all, easier to 'forgive' what they perceive as an overly-passionate sermon and read some Psalms to make themselves feel good about religion again.

Not to mention it seems that moral courage is not for everybody...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey