News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

You must be this small to ride this ride....

Started by Ali, May 18, 2012, 11:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

DJ - Yes, yes, and yes. 

Scissorlegs - I am not arguing against physical attractiveness as a starting point for the beginnings of an attraction.  Again, I have a type, I know my type, and if that makes me superficial, then so be it.  I just so happen to like big tall guys.  That doesn't mean that I would never or have never dated smaller men, but I do like a big man, just as some men like a small woman.  I get that, and that's not the part I find puke worthy.  As DJ said, I find the exacting measurements and standardization to be the disturbing bit, and it's disturbing that women feel the need to buy into that.

I think that your metaphor of buying a car is perfect.  Because a car is an object, as opposed to a living breathing human being.

Crow

Quote from: Ali on May 19, 2012, 02:21:53 AM
I think that your metaphor of buying a car is perfect.  Because a car is an object, as opposed to a living breathing human being.

Some people are seriously messed up though.
Retired member.

DeterminedJuliet

I was just thinking that they should have all of the guys wear badges with their exact penis size on it. Then the party will get really interesting (and yes, for the record, I think that idea is just as silly as the clothes-size idea.)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sweetdeath

Everyone changes. Everyone ages.
An accident may even happen to leave you in bad shape. Or sickness.

Superficial people make me sick.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Scissorlegs on May 19, 2012, 02:01:23 AMbut if you've got your heart set on the Silver Nissan...

It is much simpler if you can find a woman who can tell you what you want.
I used to think I liked peanut butter, tuna, avocado, peas and not beans so much. 
It is quite liberating not having to worry about these things though that picture of me in the canary yellow pants and budgie blue shirt is disturbing, what was I (told to be) thinking?

There could a problem if you are filtering for what is a trivial characteristic.
What if a desire for skinny girls originates from some early teen love lost or never attained?  She moves on attains healthy proportions but you're left with a fetish for a physical ideal most likely filled by someone with a mental disorder.
  Teal=Sigmund Pudding

Siz

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on May 19, 2012, 02:14:37 AM
Because standardization makes sense when you're talking about a static product made in a factory but not so much when you talk about a living organism?
Humans change. Even hot ones. Forgetting about objectification or superficiality or whatever - it just doesn't make sense to me to make the distinction that specific because, unlike a car, you don't get a warranty with a person. It seems silly to me to try and place a "custom order" that specific.  How many men or women stay the exact same size (up or down)? How do the numbers help in a way that your eyes don't?

Numbers within a range are helpful. In this case, maybe a 9 would work, but definitely not a 12. By starting out with an 8 you're less likely to end up with a 16.

I'm not so picky myself (within a range and notwithstanding the ankle issue) and agree with what you say here. But I just don't see a problem with someone who wants to be more specific. If they believe that they'll not be happy with a 10+ then who are we to judge? For some, Love is less of a priority than wealth, or looks.... or size. Who says we have to prioritise love? That's a value judgement not befitting free thinkers.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Scissorlegs on May 19, 2012, 02:42:10 AM
If they believe that they'll not be happy with a 10+ then who are we to judge?

I don't. Though, if I knew someone personally, I might wonder to myself if they want kids. It's the rare woman that can have a baby and stay under a size 10. But that's a different kettle of fish.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Crow

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on May 19, 2012, 02:30:44 AM
I was just thinking that they should have all of the guys wear badges with their exact penis size on it. Then the party will get really interesting (and yes, for the record, I think that idea is just as silly as the clothes-size idea.)

Getting the exact size is kinda hard though as they change size due to lots a variables.

----

It also might be a fetish type thing where people are obsessed by skinny people, like those who are obsessed by morbidly obese people.
Retired member.

Amicale

While I agree that most people do have a 'type' (I know I have at least a few types I prefer over others), I agree that getting very specific about a certain dress size is going too far, perhaps. Just like only dating people who are a certain height, or skin colour, or hair colour. While you may have a preference for a specific look, if you're looking to date only people who fall into your teeny tiny narrow range, you need to accept the fact that you might get the look you want, but it's less likely you'll also find a personality that matches yours well.

I suppose it depends on what you're looking for. If someone's looking for a hook-up, one night stand, etc, and they'd rather treat someone like an object rather than a person, I can see why they'd be so specific about who they got together with. If you're looking for something way less superficial though (ie, a relationship), you need to look for way more than just measurements. And if you can't find very many partners who have the measurements and the personality you prefer, you shouldn't be surprised. It's rare to find someone with the entire 'package'. And it seems odd to me that anyone would think humans are built the same way a custom computer is -- right down to every specification you require for optimal 'performance'. We really aren't built that way. Even if we are physically, our physical build is temporary and fleeting, at best. To say nothing of how we are mentally, emotionally, socially, etc.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Scissorlegs on May 19, 2012, 01:38:13 AM
What exactly is distasteful here?

Some men have priorities, so what?! Is this any less valid than choosing a mate for their above-average intelligence, stable means or a six-pack? There's nothing to stop the women setting up speed dates where the male participants lay down their Amex at the door. And good luck to them. Live and let live.

I agree with this.  Everyone has a type, some types are more superficial than others and the superficial need love (or their approximation of it) too.  I say good for them that they're aren't wasting their own and other peoples time in pretense.  Being able to state clearly what you want is the first step to getting it, and women who don't want to be judged on weight will know which men not to give a second glance.  Everybody wins.

Frankly I'm a little envious of people who can not only pare what they want down to something as simple as dress size, but to something as easily verifiable as dress size.  My basic type is intelligent, funny, good-natured and easy-going -- do you realize the time and hard feelings that could have been saved if I'd been able to confirm that with nothing more than a label check when I was on the market?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Siz

Quote from: Amicale on May 19, 2012, 05:40:45 AM
While I agree that most people do have a 'type' (I know I have at least a few types I prefer over others), I agree that getting very specific about a certain dress size is going too far, perhaps. Just like only dating people who are a certain height, or skin colour, or hair colour. While you may have a preference for a specific look, if you're looking to date only people who fall into your teeny tiny narrow range, you need to accept the fact that you might get the look you want, but it's less likely you'll also find a personality that matches yours well.

I suppose it depends on what you're looking for. If someone's looking for a hook-up, one night stand, etc, and they'd rather treat someone like an object rather than a person, I can see why they'd be so specific about who they got together with. If you're looking for something way less superficial though (ie, a relationship), you need to look for way more than just measurements. And if you can't find very many partners who have the measurements and the personality you prefer, you shouldn't be surprised. It's rare to find someone with the entire 'package'. And it seems odd to me that anyone would think humans are built the same way a custom computer is -- right down to every specification you require for optimal 'performance'. We really aren't built that way. Even if we are physically, our physical build is temporary and fleeting, at best. To say nothing of how we are mentally, emotionally, socially, etc.

Absolutely!

But so what?! Why are these people worthy of disdain?

Let's not judge them against our own prejudices.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Siz

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on May 19, 2012, 02:30:44 AM

...and that would be equally valid if that is the criteria by which they wish to choose a mate. And a fairly successful criteria for those more interested in carnal pleasure, I assume.

En_Route

Because standardization makes sense when you're talking about a static product made in a factory but not so much when you talk about a living organism?
Humans change. Even hot ones. Forgetting about objectification or superficiality or whatever - it just doesn't make sense to me to make the distinction that specific because, unlike a car, you don't get a warranty with a person. It seems silly to me to try and place a "custom order" that specific.  How many men or women stay the exact same size (up or down)? How do the numbers help in a way that your eyes don't?

That's a value judgement not befitting free thinkers.

Which is of course itself a value judgement
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

En_Route

Quote from: En_Route on May 19, 2012, 11:49:24 AM
Humans change. Even hot ones. Forgetting about objectification or superficiality or whatever - it just doesn't make sense to me to make the distinction that specific because, unlike a car, you don't get a warranty with a person. It seems silly to me to try and place a "custom order" that specific.  How many men or women stay the exact same size (up or down)? How do the numbers help in a way that your eyes don't?

That's a value judgement not befitting free thinkers.

Which is of course itself a value judgement

I'd also add this is a forum for atheists not freethinkers. All freethinkers are atheists but not all atheists are freethinkers.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).