News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

The God Delusion

Started by keithpenrod, March 30, 2012, 05:23:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweetdeath

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on April 05, 2012, 03:27:40 AM
You seem easily frustrated.

Would it bother you if Christians claimed that religion makes the world a better place? Is it really so surprising that atheists tend to believe that it makes the world a poorer place?

I'm seriously unsure if he is sarcastic or not.  o_o;
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

DeterminedJuliet

he's posted a few "ARGGHH!!/GRRRR!!" posts in response to these sorts of things.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

technolud

This is sort of an old thread, but I've been searching for "atheism as a religion", I've heard that term used a few times and it confounds me.  This thread seems to touch on this.  Are there any others which go into more depth?

Also:
QuoteIn Christianity, it is immoral not to believe.
Stevil posted this, where does this reference come from?

Stevil

Quote from: technolud on May 25, 2012, 06:50:19 AM
Also:
QuoteIn Christianity, it is immoral not to believe.
Stevil posted this, where does this reference come from?
Kevin Crady, a very intelligent, Bible literate articulate atheist has posted some fantastic (but long) posts, which I adore.

Here is one relevant to my comment you quoted above.
Yes.  "Law" depends on coercion.  Without police, jails, etc. "law" would be nothing but impotent words.  Morality would continue to exist.  A moral person is someone who chooses the good and refrains from the evil even if they could "get away with" doing otherwise.  Of course, law and the coercion it entails is necessary in any organized society.  But notice what it is necessary for: to deter--or failing that, to retaliate against and/or confine--those who would otherwise make evil choices. 

Morality, on the other hand, stems from choice.  Apart from choice, morality ceases to exist.  The person who refrains from embezzling money at work only because they're afraid they'll get caught is not considered morally praiseworthy.  The person who refrains from embezzling money even when they're certain they could get away with it, is.  Once coercion enters, morality vanishes.  If someone embezzles money because someone has kidnapped his little girl and threatened to kill her if he didn't, we consider him a victim, not immoral.  If you walk up to somebody on the sidewalk, say "I'm taking donations for the United Way," then pull out a gun and say "DONATE 50 BUCKS OR I BLOW YOUR BRAINS OUT!" the "donor" does not receive moral praise for her charity.

We assign moral credit or blame to others for their choices precisely because morality is inherently autonomous.  It is their virtue or vice.  A person who refrains from some evil act only out of fear of punishment has no moral virtue1.  They act "good" only because their free will has been violated by external coercion.  Christians commonly bring up the "free will" argument to explain why God does such a fine job of acting like he doesn't exist.  If God healed amputees, or did any other unambiguously miraculous or divine thing, they tell us, we would not be free to choose whether or not to believe in him.  This choice-to-believe then, is held as a moral act.  This is why Christians who believe that only Christians are "saved" think that atheists and believers in other religions "must" be immoral.  To disbelieve in Christianity is not merely a mistake, like thinking that the sun goes around the Earth or that a mirage in the desert is a pool of water, but a sin. 

If God's existence were self-evident, then the choice to believe and worship would cease to be moral and become legal.2.  Since A) God's existence is not self-evident3, and B) guilt-tripping is much more effective than threats of force4, turning the question of God's existence into a moral issue rather than a factual one is an extremely powerful adaptation of the Christian meme-set.  Hence the importance, to me, of depriving Christianity of the weapon of morality.

waitin4godot

I remember having read a book by Dawkins but i remember that his arguments attacked people's actions rather than ideologies/doctrines/philosophies and that wasn't what i wanted to read...maybe it was God is not great..don't remember..

Tank

Quote from: waitin4godot on May 25, 2012, 07:45:26 AM
I remember having read a book by Dawkins but i remember that his arguments attacked people's actions rather than ideologies/doctrines/philosophies and that wasn't what i wanted to read...maybe it was God is not great..don't remember..
God is not Great is by Christopher Hitchens. The God Delusion is the only polemic by Dawkins.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

waitin4godot

Quote from: Tank on May 25, 2012, 08:04:41 AM
Quote from: waitin4godot on May 25, 2012, 07:45:26 AM
God is not Great is by Christopher Hitchens. The God Delusion is the only polemic by Dawkins.
yep you're right ..thank you..it was Hitchens then..

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Hector Valdez

Dawkins? Oh great, the british are light years ahead of us. The sad thing is that british atheism is a bit too dry for my tastes... I do love the top hats, though. ;)

Asmodean

Atheism can be... Wet?

I suppose there are differences, as most atheists here are pretty... Bland. Comes with living in a place where religion is a secondary concern at best. Atheists in more religious areas have a bit more passion against the divine... But what exactly is dry atheism?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Hector Valdez

Wow. I just looked over my previous posts in this thread, from before I had deconverted. Talk about entering the twilight zone...