News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

Quote from: jumbojak on July 11, 2018, 03:52:45 PM
What species of deer is that Pudding... I mean, Penny?

I have no idea.

QuoteFive species of deer are reported to be wild in Port Macquarie (in order of decreasing
abundance):
1. Rusa Deer (Cervus timorensis)
2. Fallow Deer (Dama dama)
3. Red Deer (Cervus elaphus)
4. Chital (Axis axis)
5. Hybrids (Rusa x Sambar)

I assume it's one of those.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

jumbojak

The focus isn't perfect on the upright chick but it's not a bad photo.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on July 12, 2018, 08:37:49 AM
Lovely lighting. What time of day was it shot?

That was right around 10:00. I made some adjustments because the Browns were blending together a bit much in the original photo. I'd like to soften the shadow on the pylon cut line but haven't figured out how to do that yet.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

jumbojak

It's not very good but I thought you folks might like to see it.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Getting a bit more used to my new Nikon, the D5300 is just a tad different to the D5100. Slightly better results from last walkabout, more beasties about. However that delay between pressing the button and the actual shot (whilst mirror flips, can see attraction of mirrorless slrs) is critical, amazing number of shots of invisible flying beasties, even with multiple sequential exposures!

This is the shot of a dragonfly as taken:

And fuzzy zoom-in-crop via an editor:

Not improvable with my editor. Now thinking that old 250mm lens was useful over this 140mm, even if it is better quality. Will be looking for another editor than the Serif one.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

I wish that I had gotten just a touch more detail in the wings but the light has left me.

jumbojak

Dave

What lens are you using, JJ, and what exposure detaiks?

I could get no closer to my beastie, it was way down in a stream cutting below a bridge and I can't get down on the deck like I used to!

jumbojak

This is the lens: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00005Y3OM?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t2

I'm not sure on the exposure. The darker photo was taken in manual mode and I'm still figuring out how to use this thing. Whatever I had it set to seemed to work reasonably well.

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on July 16, 2018, 12:39:54 PM
This is the lens: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00005Y3OM?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t2

I'm not sure on the exposure. The darker photo was taken in manual mode and I'm still figuring out how to use this thing. Whatever I had it set to seemed to work reasonably well.

Thanks, JJ, I was wondering about that one myself. I took a walk to the spot where I took that dragonfly picture with my Panasonic, the 30x optical lense on that would have given me a frame about the same size as the cropped image - the lower resolution (18mp) would not have been a problem. But for general "about town" stuff I like the 18mm bottom end of current Nikon lense.

Maybe I will check how much interest I have left on my savings and current account - that has funded my toys so far! There is a Nikon 24 - 300mm, but that if about twice the price of the camera!

If you took on NEF/RAW I thought the metadata was embedded in the file and a RAW editor makes it available. I assume you used the "intelligent" or the P setting? But I know what you mean, there are enough differences (improvements?) between the old and new to require a bit of practice.

jumbojak

I still have to go through the raw footage. Yesterday was a rough day and I was messing with the camera to take my mind off some things. My next lens will likely be a wide angle, though that'll have to wait a bit. I'm trying to be more responsible financially and get myself into a better place. Toys will have to wait.... *sigh*

Bad Penny II

As I've said I use the free Faststone image viewer, if you press the letter I key you get an attributes window.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

hermes2015

Quote from: Bad Penny II on July 17, 2018, 10:49:32 AM

As I've said I use the free Faststone image viewer, if you press the letter I key you get an attributes window.

Yes, the EXIF data are stored automatically in the JPG and NEF files.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames