News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Sabbath = Sunday??

Started by TeresaBenedicta, May 11, 2011, 07:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

Quote from: TeresaBenedicta on May 12, 2011, 06:46:45 PM
Quote from: Ihateyoumike on May 12, 2011, 06:36:28 PM
I wish you two could see the ridiculousness of arguing this point from an atheist's perspective.

Having said that, it's quite funny watching two people who are supposed to believe in the same god arguing about which day of the weekend they get to take off.

And for further ridiculousness... I don't think that we even disagree about which day...  :o

Actually...you do disagree....AD is a seventh day Adventist; they worship on Saturday because they believe it is the true sabbath.

Tank

I wish you two could see the ridiculousness of arguing this point from an atheist's perspective.

Having said that, it's quite funny watching two people who are supposed to believe in the same god arguing about which day of the weekend they get to take off.
I was thinking exactly the same thing. Do you think we can get iSoK to join in? He's Muslim for those that don't know.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Stevil

I'm sure it is important to them

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: TeresaBenedicta on May 12, 2011, 06:29:32 PM
But what I want to emphasize, once again, is that this piece that you've quote is not some end all or be all.  It's a single person's interpretation about the issue.  It was published in a diocesan magazine.  It does not speak for the Church.  It would be a different story if we were talking about an actual document written and published via the Magisterium (the teaching body of the Church).  But it's not.  It's a magazine article.  It makes some interesting points... but it certainly isn't the only argument out there.  Nor do I think it's the best one.  The fact that it is titled "Rome's Challenge" does not mean it somehow comes from Rome.  It doesn't.  It's merely a clever title.
I understand.  I'm not attempting to argue the worship days.  In fact, I stand with you on the RCC grounds that she has openly changed the day (while I think it's important concerning Scriptural backing which I agree with the article, there is none.)  What I'm trying to figure out with some sort of certainty is whether this stance is firm or if the RCC is now (or always has) stood on there being scriptural evidence of a change or a thinking TO change.  As I mentioned, it is my belief that the RCC claims of being "God" on earth would make such a stance easily and readily stated.  What fear would the RCC have if it truely has God's permission to do as "He wishes" and speaks for Him here on earth?  None.

Now, the title, "Rome's Challenge" is not the original title.  It is the title given after the fact.  Way after.  The original title is as I posted just prior to this post.

Quote from: TeresaBenedictaSo I wouldn't be making any assumptions about the Catholic Church by reading this article.  It does not speak authoritatively.  In fact, I'd imagine that many in the higher-ups would disagree with the article concerning certain points.  I can't really tell you because there is not official document that talks about this issue.
Basically what I'm hoping to figure out.  Why wouldn't there be?

Quote from: IhateyoumikeI wish you two could see the ridiculousness of arguing this point from an atheist's perspective.

It's hardly an argument...or at least I'm not taking it that way.  The argument, IMHO, would better be with a Protestant.

TeresaBenedicta

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on May 12, 2011, 09:04:44 PM
Quote from: TeresaBenedicta on May 12, 2011, 06:29:32 PM
But what I want to emphasize, once again, is that this piece that you've quote is not some end all or be all.  It's a single person's interpretation about the issue.  It was published in a diocesan magazine.  It does not speak for the Church.  It would be a different story if we were talking about an actual document written and published via the Magisterium (the teaching body of the Church).  But it's not.  It's a magazine article.  It makes some interesting points... but it certainly isn't the only argument out there.  Nor do I think it's the best one.  The fact that it is titled "Rome's Challenge" does not mean it somehow comes from Rome.  It doesn't.  It's merely a clever title.
I understand.  I'm not attempting to argue the worship days.  In fact, I stand with you on the RCC grounds that she has openly changed the day (while I think it's important concerning Scriptural backing which I agree with the article, there is none.)  What I'm trying to figure out with some sort of certainty is whether this stance is firm or if the RCC is now (or always has) stood on there being scriptural evidence of a change or a thinking TO change.  As I mentioned, it is my belief that the RCC claims of being "God" on earth would make such a stance easily and readily stated.  What fear would the RCC have if it truely has God's permission to do as "He wishes" and speaks for Him here on earth?  None.

Now, the title, "Rome's Challenge" is not the original title.  It is the title given after the fact.  Way after.  The original title is as I posted just prior to this post.

Quote from: TeresaBenedictaSo I wouldn't be making any assumptions about the Catholic Church by reading this article.  It does not speak authoritatively.  In fact, I'd imagine that many in the higher-ups would disagree with the article concerning certain points.  I can't really tell you because there is not official document that talks about this issue.
Basically what I'm hoping to figure out.  Why wouldn't there be?

Quote from: IhateyoumikeI wish you two could see the ridiculousness of arguing this point from an atheist's perspective.

It's hardly an argument...or at least I'm not taking it that way.  The argument, IMHO, would better be with a Protestant.

Gotchya.

Let me do a little more research and get back to you. 
All men by nature desire to know. -Aristotle

The study of philosophy does not mean to learn what others have thought but to learn what is the truth of things. -St. Thomas Aquinas

AnimatedDirt

While you are doing research:
Scan of --pages 49 and 50-- of the book entitled: --The Convert's Catechism of Catholic Doctrine--
by Rev. Peter Geiermann, C.SS.R., copyright 1910 by Joseph Gummersbach, published by B. Herder, St. Louis Mo., and Freiburg (Baden).

If the links get lost or do not work, the first is a scan of pages 49 and 50.
and the link for the book is a scan of the book cover and title page.

On page 50 it reads (in part);

Q. Which is the Sabbath day?
A. Saturday is the Sabbath day.

Q. Why do we observes Sunday instead of Saturday?
A. We Observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church, in the Council of Laodecia (A.D. 336) transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday.

Q. Why did the Catholic Church substitute Sunday for Saturday?
A. The Church substituted Sunday for Saturday, because Christ rose from the dead on Sunday, and the Holy Ghost descended upon the Apostles on a Sunday.

Q. By what authority did the Church substitute Sunday for Saturday?
A. The Church substituted Sunday for Saturday by the plentitude of that divine power which Jesus Christ bestowed upon her.

Stevil

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on May 13, 2011, 11:07:34 PM
Q. By what authority did the Church substitute Sunday for Saturday?
A. The Church substituted Sunday for Saturday by the plentitude of that divine power which Jesus Christ bestowed upon her.
OK, now I'm starting to get interested.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: TeresaBenedicta on May 12, 2011, 09:09:16 PM
Let me do a little more research and get back to you.
I'm still interested in your findings.  :)

Twentythree

Quote from: Tank on May 12, 2011, 08:43:59 PM

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Do you think we can get iSoK to join in? He's Muslim for those that don't know.

I could not agree more. It's odd that this is not striking any of these poster as wholly ironic, posting a debate on an atheist forum about not being able to agree on your own faith. Give them enough rope....

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Twentythree on May 25, 2011, 06:01:26 PM
I could not agree more. It's odd that this is not striking any of these poster as wholly ironic, posting a debate on an atheist forum about not being able to agree on your own faith. Give them enough rope....
Maybe if you would actually read the thread or pay attention to the thread, you'd see that it is hardly a debate.  Rather it is an inquiry to a stance on the matter.

Thanks for your useless input though.