Author Topic: Photography technical advice, questions, tips and techniques.  (Read 13861 times)

Bad Penny II

• Not Defeated by the Dark Night of the Soul
  • Idiot Symmetrician
Re: Photography technical advice, questions, tips and techniques.
« Reply #315 on: July 11, 2019, 04:51:45 PM »
I'd personally rather have a variety than a hoard of duplicates. If one dies on you then you will be out the cost of a replacement, this is true. But you might be able to justify a better piece of glass in the same focal range if and when that time comes if you have to find a replacement.

Think about it, if you wear out a lens - unlikely, I know - then that lens and its capabilities are important to the work you do. Hell, if you damage it at the beach because that's the lens you always have with you it comes out to the same thing. It gives the opportunity to upgrade the workhorses should something bad happen.

You've convinced me, I'll sell my third set of 18-55 & 55-250 kit lenses for a pittance.
I'm not buying nothing though.
Certainty disturbs me

hermes2015

• Touched by His Noodly Appendage
« Reply #316 on: August 02, 2019, 06:48:54 PM »
I've decided to try the technique of back button focusing, since a lot of photographers swear by it. I will keep my camera set up to do it for a week or two, then report back on my experience.

jumbojak

• Chandler's Pale Cock Slurper
  • Wears a Colander Hat for Special Occasions
  • The Iconic Iconoclast
« Reply #317 on: August 04, 2019, 02:40:47 PM »
What's the advantage of that method?

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub
" Please hold your high school or college math books in higher esteem than
your copy of the KJV. " - Icarus

hermes2015

« Reply #318 on: August 04, 2019, 03:41:37 PM »
What's the advantage of that method?

It separates focusing and shutter release into two separate operations, instead of the usual half-press on the shutter release button to focus. That means you can put the focusing point on the object of interest, press the back button to focus, release the back button, and then you can point the camera anywhere to recompose the shot without losing the desired focus when you press the shutter release button to take the shot. You also don't have to do the operation of moving your focus point around with the multi selector on the back of the camera, which I always find fiddly to do and hate it.

hermes2015

« Reply #319 on: August 04, 2019, 03:48:31 PM »
Oh, I forgot to mention that it also eliminates having to use the AE/AF lock button on the back of the camera, which I also hate doing.

jumbojak

• Chandler's Pale Cock Slurper
  • Wears a Colander Hat for Special Occasions
  • The Iconic Iconoclast
« Reply #320 on: August 05, 2019, 12:43:59 AM »
I'm going to have to try this out. Half press can be annoying when the camera decides to hunt for focus. 

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub
" Please hold your high school or college math books in higher esteem than
your copy of the KJV. " - Icarus

Bluenose

• Buddies With Uncle Bert
  • Final approach to HMAS Melbourne CVS-21 (1980)
« Reply #321 on: August 05, 2019, 03:04:07 AM »
Hmm...  maybe it's my photographic beginning with a Minolta 35 mm SLR, but I'm sure with my Canon DSLR I can focus using the focus ring on the lens, which seems most natural to me.  I'l  have to check now, when I get home, to see if I remember this correctly...  LOL
“The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”

― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

« Reply #322 on: August 05, 2019, 04:59:58 AM »
Hmm...  maybe it's my photographic beginning with a Minolta 35 mm SLR, but I'm sure with my Canon DSLR I can focus using the focus ring on the lens, which seems most natural to me.  I'l  have to check now, when I get home, to see if I remember this correctly...  LOL

That is a feature of some lenses; some do it, some don't. The lens I use most often allows one to focus manually as well, but these days I rarely do that, unless I have to for some reason.

Bluenose

• Buddies With Uncle Bert
  • Final approach to HMAS Melbourne CVS-21 (1980)
« Reply #323 on: August 05, 2019, 08:18:38 AM »

That is a feature of some lenses; some do it, some don't. The lens I use most often allows one to focus manually as well, but these days I rarely do that, unless I have to for some reason.

Fair enough, I guess it's whatever you're used to. I would never think to use the back panel for focus.  As I said, just ingrained habit from decades of doing it that way.
“The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”

― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett