News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

A New War In The Middle East

Started by xSilverPhinx, January 03, 2020, 03:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Qasem Soleimani: US kills Iran Quds Force leader, Pentagon confirms (BBC)

Statement from the Pentagon:

QuoteAt the direction of the President, the US military has taken decisive defensive action to protect US personnel abroad by killing Qasem Soleimani. This strike was aimed at deterring future Iranian attack plans. The United States will continue to take all necessary action to protect our people and our interests wherever they are around the world.

(My bold).

There's obviously intelligence information that they're not sharing on 'future Iranian attack plans' but I question just how smart this move was. Qasem Soleimani will become a martyr and Iran will retaliate. The US will throw billions of dollars into trying to win another protracted war but will ultimately lose.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ecurb Noselrub

Right now, there is a chance for Trump to simply stand down, as no Americans were killed in the retaliation.  We will see if he is smart enough to do that.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 08, 2020, 05:02:32 PM
Right now, there is a chance for Trump to simply stand down, as no Americans were killed in the retaliation.  We will see if he is smart enough to do that.

It seems like he's trying to deescalate the added tensions he caused, which looks more like a self-serving political move. Maybe he isn't as dumb as he looks.

I still doubt moderate words will translate to moderate actions, though. When the need arises he will escalate things again and leave the entire world on the edge of their seats, like a good reality show.   

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 09, 2020, 01:37:07 AM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 08, 2020, 05:02:32 PM

It seems like he's trying to deescalate the added tensions he caused, which looks more like a self-serving political move. Maybe he isn't as dumb as he looks.

I still doubt moderate words will translate to moderate actions, though. When the need arises he will escalate things again and leave the entire world on the edge of their seats, like a good reality show.

Yeah, it's impossible to predict what he will do.  He goes on instinct and impulse, and there is no way to determine what his impulses will be, other than what he perceives to be his own self-interest.

Tank

Looks like it's mostly blown over in public.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

You have seen either in person or on the TV the gum ball machines.  Those are the machines that blow a bunch of different numbered balls around inside a container. They are Bingo or lottery random output machines. An operator pushes a button and a random ball falls out of the container. No telling what the number on the ball is until it is revealed by the operator.   That is trumps brain cavity and its contents explained.

Dark Lightning

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on April 18, 2020, 05:27:42 AM
You have seen either in person or on the TV the gum ball machines.  Those are the machines that blow a bunch of different numbered balls around inside a container. They are Bingo or lottery random output machines. An operator pushes a button and a random ball falls out of the container. No telling what the number on the ball is until it is revealed by the operator.   That is trumps brain cavity and its contents explained.

Scathing and fitting description. :tellmemore: Love it.