Author Topic: HAF Book Club: September poll and discussion  (Read 190 times)

Sandra Craft

• Surprisingly OK
  • Global Moderator
  • The Cure for Boredom is Curiosity. There is No Cure For Curiosity.
HAF Book Club: September poll and discussion
« on: August 19, 2019, 07:42:40 AM »
Genesis: The Scientific Quest for Life's Origin, by Robert M. Hazen.  Life on Earth arose nearly 4 billion years ago, bursting forth from air, water, and rock. Though the process obeyed all the rules of chemistry and physics, the details of that original event pose as deep a mystery as any facing science.

The Invention of Nature, by Andrea Wulf.  The forgotten life of Alexander von Humboldt, the visionary German naturalist whose ideas changed the way we see the natural world—and in the process created modern environmentalism.

Miss Leavitt’s Stars, by George Johnson.  The untold story of the woman who discovered how to measure the universe.

Monster of God, by David Quammen.  The significance of alpha predators (specifically, in this book, the Asiatic lion, crocodiles, tigers and brown bears) and the humans who live alongside them. 

The Sky's the Limit, by Anna Magnusson.  In 2004, Vicky Jack completed the Seven Summits - the highest mountains in each of the seven continents. Whilst pursuing her climbing dream, she also carried on a high-flying career. This book tells her story.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

• The wise one.
  • Guardian of Reason
Re: HAF Book Club: September poll and discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 12:15:17 AM »
Monster of God might be an interesting one but it may become a bit gory.....I live in Florida, I hate alligators, the mindless dominant predator in our lovely state.  Of course we have  Trumpster type mindless mental predators too

I would vote for Miss Leavitt's stars. 

Sandra Craft

• Surprisingly OK
  • Global Moderator
  • The Cure for Boredom is Curiosity. There is No Cure For Curiosity.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 07:00:44 PM »
OK, we have a clear winner in Miss Leavitt's Stars.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

• The wise one.
  • Guardian of Reason
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 01:27:11 AM »
Dammit Sandy I do not want to be the only one who sways the selection.   

I salute your efforts. They may have gone unappreciated judging by general response  .  Just Sayin'.

Davin

• Don't Pray in My School, and I Won't Think in Your Church
  • (o°-°)=o o(o*-°)
    • DevPirates
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 04:29:09 PM »
The sequel to Handmaid's Tail is out now:

The Testaments

Margaret Atwood's dystopian masterpiece, The Handmaid's Tale, has become a modern classic—and now she brings the iconic story to a dramatic conclusion in this riveting sequel.

More than fifteen years after the events of The Handmaid's Tale, the theocratic regime of the Republic of Gilead maintains its grip on power, but there are signs it is beginning to rot from within. At this crucial moment, the lives of three radically different women converge, with potentially explosive results.

Two have grown up as part of the first generation to come of age in the new order. The testimonies of these two young women are joined by a third voice: a woman who wields power through the ruthless accumulation and deployment of secrets.

As Atwood unfolds The Testaments, she opens up the innermost workings of Gilead as each woman is forced to come to terms with who she is, and how far she will go for what she believes.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.