Author Topic: D Day  (Read 289 times)

Icarus

• The wise one.
  • Guardian of Reason
D Day
« on: June 05, 2019, 11:43:08 PM »
 June sixth is the 75th anniversary of the Normandy invasion.  That was the event that affected the history of the world but it was more than that. It was the final act of courage, resolve, and dedication to duty of brave men on both sides.

General Dwight Eisenhower was the chief commander of that epic battle.  It was up to him to give the go ahead, or to cancel the event.  He knew that countless humans would die as a result of that attack on a foreign shore.  Try to imagine the weight of that decision by that general.  What if the mission had failed and all that blood and destruction was for naught.  Even as a success it had enormous cost in lives and treasure.

The invasion was carefully planned and it did eventually lead to the defeat of the German powers.  That battle could not have been even considered today because of the emergence of the internet and its' ability to transfer information in a matter of microseconds.   No way in hell that a fatal information leak could have be avoided.  We live in a whole different world now.

I was a kid at that time but I do remember the event and its' eventual outcome.  Had there been a different outcome we might have an entirely different sociopolitical structure today.

Do salute those Americans and Brits and all the other allies  who put their lives on the line...... many of them lost their lives.  Heroes by any account.

Ecurb Noselrub

• No Wall in my name!!!
  • Wears a Colander Hat for Special Occasions
Re: D Day
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 11:56:27 PM »
My father commanded a PT boat in D-Day.  I grew up with the stories.