Author Topic: "Let's stop pretending Christianity is actually relevant, okay?"  (Read 110 times)

Sandra Craft

• Surprisingly OK
  • Global Moderator
  • The Cure for Boredom is Curiosity. There is No Cure For Curiosity.
Don't let the title fool you, this is a pro-Xtian article by a young, progressive evangelist type.

I found his opinion interesting, altho I'll admit that by the end of the 4th paragraph I was half expecting to see "and then everybody clapped".  I also don't think he was always on the mark about what could make Xtianity more attractive, but I'm probably nit-picking: 

Let's stop pretending Christianity is actually relevant, okay?
Sandy

"I think this is the prettiest world -- as long as you don't mind a little dying, how could there be a day in your whole life that doesn't have its splash of happiness?"  from The Kingfisher, by Mary Oliver

Icarus

• The wise one.
  • Guardian of Reason
Re: "Let's stop pretending Christianity is actually relevant, okay?"
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 09:55:40 PM »
At first read it seems that the guy is riding off in several  directions at once.

He is doing the normal Christian thing that involves believing in the authenticity of "the" bible................ Jesus did this, Jesus said that, Jesus died for my sins, and so on.  How can he be so confident that the written word is a reliable description of what actually happened or whether it happened at all? 

Essie Mae

• Free to think.
  • Not Defeated by the Dark Night of the Soul
  • I Hope Uncle Bert is still my friend.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 10:04:36 PM »
I get what he’s saying but it’s a lot harder to be compassionate now than of was then. I heard a talk about  NGOs trying to help out in crisis-hit countries and a huge amount of their income is used in paying governments for ‘permits’ etc to do their work. Even in their home countries there are safeguarding rules; health and safety concerns and insurance issues before you can even run a food bank. There’s a huge volunteer recruitment drive here by the NHS at the moment, but the new volunteers can’t start their duties until they have had criminal background checks. A bit of a tangent, just a ramble.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Ecurb Noselrub

• No Wall in my name!!!
  • Wears a Colander Hat for Special Occasions
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 05:54:20 PM »
I get what he’s saying but it’s a lot harder to be compassionate now than of was then. I heard a talk about  NGOs trying to help out in crisis-hit countries and a huge amount of their income is used in paying governments for ‘permits’ etc to do their work. Even in their home countries there are safeguarding rules; health and safety concerns and insurance issues before you can even run a food bank. There’s a huge volunteer recruitment drive here by the NHS at the moment, but the new volunteers can’t start their duties until they have had criminal background checks. A bit of a tangent, just a ramble.

Nothing strangles compassion and good will like red tape and over-regulation.

Bluenose

• Sprach mit Zarathustra
  • Final approach to HMAS Melbourne CVS-21 (1980)
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 12:17:48 AM »
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like he's just trying to put lipstick the pig of christianity.
“The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”

― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Sandra Craft

• Surprisingly OK
  • Global Moderator
  • The Cure for Boredom is Curiosity. There is No Cure For Curiosity.
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 09:57:12 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like he's just trying to put lipstick the pig of christianity.

Not just you. 
Sandy

"I think this is the prettiest world -- as long as you don't mind a little dying, how could there be a day in your whole life that doesn't have its splash of happiness?"  from The Kingfisher, by Mary Oliver

No one

• Not Defeated by the Dark Night of the Soul
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 12:07:58 AM »
Is pretending the foremost fundamental foundation of christianity?

Icarus

• The wise one.
  • Guardian of Reason
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 02:17:27 AM »
^ Devout Christians do not believe that they are pretending.