News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Britain faces beer shortage in hottest part of summer!

Started by Dave, June 26, 2018, 05:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

OK, so does the rest of Europe.

Seems there is a drastic shortage of CO2 since most of the plants supplying it have closed for maintenance. The gas is mainly a by-product of the fertiliser industry and farmers don't want fertiliser in the summer.

But, but, why all of a sudden this year? Surely that reason applies to all years, there must be some other factor. Supplies are being reserved for medical and "animal welfare" purposes, that latter is a euphemism for usibg CO2 to stun animals before slaughter and actually slaughter chickens.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jun/20/co2-shortage-could-hit-uk-beer-and-chicken-supplies-during-world-cup

Later: listening to the BBC it seems that the plants did not "phase" their shutdowns, just went ahead on their own schedule.  The aftermath of this might be interesting to flies on walls as takings dive and shoppers and drinkers go short.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on June 26, 2018, 08:12:35 PM
No beer shortage here in Leeds yet.

It's only going to be the fizzy stuff, the real gravity pump stuff should be safe.

Might hit the curry market if it goes on too long, no chicken tikka massla, biriani or vindaloo washed fown with fizzy lager whenever England . . . do whatever they manage in this cup thing.

Icarus

The damned Russians have imported all the British beer because of the World Cup football tournaments.   There are millions of visiting  fans who need beer in order to properly root for their team.

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on June 26, 2018, 11:30:55 PM
The damned Russians have imported all the British beer because of the World Cup football tournaments.   There are millions of visiting  fans who need beer in order to properly root for their team.

Or to insulate them if the team effort goes tits-up!

Bad Penny II

No shortage here, over forty weeks worth.
My own pet yeasty beasties do the carbonation.

Greyed out has been consumed.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bluenose

Quote from: Bad Penny II on June 27, 2018, 11:01:41 AM

Ha, ha!  I agree.  I was reading about this beer shortage and thought, no shortage here, my son makes his own and the yeast makes its own CO2.  It's damn fine stuff too, although I think you beat us in the quantity you're making - good job!

I should think that any "proper beer" should be OK as well and for the same reasons.  Only the mass produced not-actually-beer would be in trouble.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Bluenose on June 27, 2018, 11:55:55 AM

Ha, ha!  I agree.  I was reading about this beer shortage and thought, no shortage here, my son makes his own and the yeast makes its own CO2.  It's damn fine stuff too, although I think you beat us in the quantity you're making - good job!

I should think that any "proper beer" should be OK as well and for the same reasons.  Only the mass produced not-actually-beer would be in trouble.

People that use kegs instead of bottles use CO2.
Kegs would save a lot of stuffing around, cleaning bottles is time consuming.
I'd need quite a few kegs though to do a stock of year old stout.

xSilverPhinx

Whoa, that's what I call organised!  :o

I really should start using Excel to tabulate stuff as well. :P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on June 26, 2018, 05:16:07 PM

Seems there is a drastic shortage of CO2 since most of the plants supplying it have closed for maintenance. The gas is mainly a by-product of the fertiliser industry and farmers don't want fertiliser in the summer.

But, but, why all of a sudden this year? Surely that reason applies to all years, there must be some other factor. Supplies are being reserved for medical and "animal welfare" purposes, that latter is a euphemism for usibg CO2 to stun animals before slaughter and actually slaughter chickens.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jun/20/co2-shortage-could-hit-uk-beer-and-chicken-supplies-during-world-cup

Later: listening to the BBC it seems that the plants did not "phase" their shutdowns, just went ahead on their own schedule.  The aftermath of this might be interesting to flies on walls as takings dive and shoppers and drinkers go short.

:rofl:

I don't know if this is supposed to be funny but it is. :P

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 27, 2018, 02:52:24 PM

Well, it was intended as a "light hearted look" rather than a rant. My fave eating/drinking place has guest beers and ales in non-pressure on the bar. Used to be wooden barrels but metal jobs last longer - the "aging" is still done in wooden tuns in the local craft brewery.

I am always delighted to give anyone a laugh!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on June 27, 2018, 03:38:18 PM

Well, it was intended as a "light hearted look" rather than a rant. My fave eating/drinking place has guest beers and ales in non-pressure on the bar. Used to be wooden barrels but metal jobs last longer - the "aging" is still done in wooden tuns in the local craft brewery.

:grin:

Pardon my ignorance but does it take a long time to brew beer?

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 28, 2018, 02:25:00 AM

Yes and no. It depends how rough you are prepared to drink it. :grin:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tank on June 28, 2018, 07:48:30 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 28, 2018, 02:25:00 AM

Yes and no. It depends how rough you are prepared to drink it. :grin:

You can possibly brew it in a week at 22-24C but taking two weeks at 19C for ales is considered better.
When the yeast has consumed all the sugars you bottle/keg it.
For bottles you add a little bit of sugar which fuels the carbonation.
Ageing minimum 2 weeks, 8 is better, 12 is better still.  Stouts benefit from a year.

Ecurb Noselrub

Just my luck. I'm leaving for the UK (Wales, specifically) tomorrow for a week. Hope the shortage has not hit Hay-on-Wye yet.