Author Topic: Objects of Desire  (Read 3387 times)

hermes2015

• Knows Who'd Win a Fight Between Superman and Batman
Objects of Desire
« on: April 04, 2018, 07:43:08 AM »
I don't think we have a thread like this at HAF. I think it would be nice to see some physical objects like works of art, furniture, cars, etc., that we love, similar to the Music That Moves You thread. As a dyed in the wool materialist, I have a very strong physical response to some beautiful objects: I feel it as a weakening of the knees and butterflies in the stomach; sometimes it is so strong that tears well up in my eyes.

Here are three examples.

A Lalique car mascot.

More at http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2268415/Incredible-collection-glass-mascots-displayed-car-bonnets-1920s-France-set-raise-100-000-auction.html

Ceramics by Hans Coper. One of my very favourite ceramic artists.

The Tizio lamp by Richard Sapper, designed in 1972. I just finished restoring one of the original ones that was dropped, and it is now as good as new. I will probably use it as a bedside lamp.

If there is a good response to these, I will post some more objects that move me.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 09:18:02 AM by hermes2015 »

Dave

• Formerly known as Gloucester
  • Wears a Colander Hat for Special Occasions
Re: Objects of Desire
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 08:55:20 AM »
Amongst my favourites are art deco figures, the detail, grace and energy of these is beautiful

Then almost anything by Rennie Macintosh

And, just to be a bit different, something that simply fascinates me

That is a simple example of the 'visionary' Richard Buckminster Fuller's concept of 'Tensegrity', a 3D structure whose integrity relies on tension (and compression). There are far more complex structures but this, similar to the one I own, shows the principle.

There's a lot more . . .

And I thought I would add Japanese carving, especially the fun often expressed in netsuke

« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 09:12:19 AM by Dave »
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.

hermes2015

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 09:09:05 AM »
Amongst my favourites are art deco figures, the detail, grace and energy of these is beautiful

Then almost anything by Rennie Macintosh

And, just to be a bit different, something that simply fascinates me

That is a simple example of the 'visionary' Richard Buckminster Fuller's concept of 'Tensegrity', a 3D structure whose integrity relies on tension (and compression). There are far more complex structures but this, similar to the one I own, shows the principle.

There's a lot more . . .

I also love Mackintosh. Unfortunately, I did not get the chance to see anything by him when I visited Glasgow.

That figure is beautiful; I'm pretty sure it is by Erté and worth a fortune. I am always on the lookout for one of his pieces at antique shops, hoping they would not know the value. That happened to me some years ago when I found a large signed Lalique vase for about £15. I was subsequently offered £6000 for it, which I refused.

Dave

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 09:19:28 AM »
This example may not actualky be from the period, it is available on Amaxon but is still a good example of the style.

It is actually within my price range for utter mad money!

hermes2015

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 09:34:09 AM »
This example may not actualky be from the period, it is available on Amaxon but is still a good example of the style.

It is actually within my price range for utter mad money!

Maybe not by Erté, but Chiparus is still a good buy I think. You only live once!

I had a good dealer in Johannesburg who always alerted me to Lalique pieces. I managed to buy quite a few over the years, and although they were "mad" purchases at the time, I have never regretted any of them. I made an early decision to collect Lalique and not Gallé, which was just a matter of preference. Probably a good thing, because original Lalique pieces have increased hugely in value and currently fetch insane prices at auction.

Tank

• Fed up with stupid.
  • Administrator
  • Excellent and Indefatigable Guardian of Reason
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 09:57:58 AM »

FE 100-400mm G Master super-telephoto zoom lens
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
“Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt.” ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 10:00:01 AM »
I went to some friends for dinner, which included a tossed salad. I was standing talking to my hostess in the kitchen as she tossed the salad, with stainless steel tools, in a large, heavy, very "sculptural" glass bowl. After the meal I helped wash up and got a close look at the bowl,

Yes, it was marked Lalique!  It was also heavily scored inside, it had been the family salad/fruit bowl from when Carol was a small kid . . .

Asmodean

• The Grumpy Lumpy
  • Administrator
  • Luxembourg Trembles!
  • The GrayGod
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 10:00:11 AM »
I want a 1999-ish Opel Omega sedan in good condition to have as my "hobby wheels"

It was the first car I owned, which I was sad to let go when its time came. The crap I had before it was merely adequate. My Omega, however, I liked. I know it was a sponge cake, even with a relatively big engine, but... It was a tasty sponge cake.

So, call it nostalgia, I suppose, but I do want one for good-weather motorway cruising.

In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dave

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 10:09:08 AM »
"Sponge cake" . . . Interesting if it refers to the shape, we used to call that "rounded" style "jelly mould".

No one

• Thou Art God
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 10:12:32 AM »

Asmodean

• The Grumpy Lumpy
  • Administrator
  • Luxembourg Trembles!
  • The GrayGod
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 11:11:06 AM »
"Sponge cake" . . . Interesting if it refers to the shape, we used to call that "rounded" style "jelly mould".
Suspension, actually  :P Jelly works too. I suspect it may have something to do with it being developed to also be a Cadillac.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

hermes2015

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 01:45:34 PM »
I went to some friends for dinner, which included a tossed salad. I was standing talking to my hostess in the kitchen as she tossed the salad, with stainless steel tools, in a large, heavy, very "sculptural" glass bowl. After the meal I helped wash up and got a close look at the bowl,

Yes, it was marked Lalique!  It was also heavily scored inside, it had been the family salad/fruit bowl from when Carol was a small kid . . .

If the bowl had the old man's signature, it would be worth a lot today. As much as I like the originals, I would not buy any modern Lalique. I now prefer Kosta Boda, IItala, and Orrefors pieces.

hermes2015

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 01:51:42 PM »
I want a 1999-ish Opel Omega sedan in good condition to have as my "hobby wheels"

It was the first car I owned, which I was sad to let go when its time came. The crap I had before it was merely adequate. My Omega, however, I liked. I know it was a sponge cake, even with a relatively big engine, but... It was a tasty sponge cake.

So, call it nostalgia, I suppose, but I do want one for good-weather motorway cruising.

I am not much into cars, but that one is very nice. This is one is one of those "mad" purchases: not very practical, but nice in summer with the top down.

Bad Penny II

• Sprach mit Zarathustra
  • Nice Borderline Troll
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 02:37:19 PM »
How are you sinners ever going to get to heaven, burdened as you are with all this shit?

Certainty disturbs me

Asmodean

• The Grumpy Lumpy
  • Administrator
  • Luxembourg Trembles!
  • The GrayGod
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 02:46:20 PM »
How are you sinners ever going to get to heaven, burdened as you are with all this shit?
Mine has wheels and an engine... Duuh!  ;)

Hermes will be OK too, I think. We can race, have an accident... Go through the Gates™ in a rolling fireball of total automotive carnage.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.