Author Topic: Faith, belif and freedom of choice.  (Read 67 times)

• Formerly known as Gloucester
  • Guardian of Reason
Faith, belif and freedom of choice.
« on: March 11, 2018, 10:15:48 AM »
Having  looked carefully at the descriptions of the "Religion" and "Philosophy" categories I decided that the latter was closest.

Listening to the treatment of those of the Baha'i faith in Iran in a World Service prog I had a little think. We atheists decry belief in the supernatural. We humanists, perhaps because we have a sort of internationally agreed set of tenets regarding the nature of mankind, are possibly a little more flexible. Personally I feel that a "belief" is essential in civilised life - just that it should be based on something that has a concrete effect on this world. If a person's belief encourages them to act in a charitable or courageous way, with no strings attached, for the benefit of mankind it, surely, has to be applauded.

Anyway, I came to the conclusion, the distillation in my mind, that I do not give a toss what a mature person believes or has faith in but that he or she should be allowed to reach that state in an educated manner. That they should have been offered, in an unbiased, unprejudiced, objective way, every alternative belief or unbelief system (that espouses civilised ends) and then allowed a free choice.

Nothing new here, really a review and a reiteration, but such are needed occasionaly to keep an edge on one's thoughts. And beliefs.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.