Community > Parenting Beyond Belief

Regretting parenthood

(1/6) > >>

Michael Reilly:
I'm not sure if anyone is interested in this topic, but I found this article highly interesting and very brave: this is an issue that dare not be spoken (in my experience, at least). It would be the rare homo sapien who did not have the urge to procreate, but having children in our culture (Western culture in particular, American culture for me specifically) is very, very challenging. Give a read, new friends.

Link to article

Edit: Tank, sorted link.

Ecurb Noselrub:
My advice is to skip kids and go straight to grandkids.

Tank:

--- Quote from: Michael Reilly on March 10, 2018, 12:09:20 PM ---I'm not sure if anyone is interested in this topic, but I found this article highly interesting and very brave: this is an issue that dare not be spoken (in my experience, at least). It would be the rare homo sapien who did not have the urge to procreate, but having children in our culture (Western culture in particular, American culture for me specifically) is very, very challenging. Give a read, new friends.

Link to article

Edit: Tank, sorted link.

--- End quote ---
Don't worry natural selection weeds out the genes those men and women who choose not to have kids. Those that do have kids are the future of humanity, whatever that may be.

Icarus:
National Geographic magazine, February issue, has a relevant article about children.  It is the story about 9th grade kids in a school in Tame' Colombia.  They range in age from 13 to 16.  They have a serious program that they call Bebe?, Piensalo bien. which loosely translates to; Baby? Think it over.

Latin American countries have a disproportionate number of teen pregnancies.  These kids, with their parents consent, undergo a 30 hour course that includes sex education, contraceptive use, and discussions of gender prototypes, domestic violence, and family budgeting. Part of the course requires the student to spend 48 hours with "Estiven".  Estiven is a robotic baby that has to be fed every two hours or so, it cries, he needs his diapers changed and must be given loving attention or otherwise he cries.  The kids with the robot, which looks every bit like a baby, do not get much sleep, they must use what little money they have to buy formula and diapers................... If they neglect the care that should be given, Estiven will shut down and the kid will fail the course.  The course is extended to both boys and girls. That education is working.  One of the pictures accompanying the article, shows three thirteen year olds correctly applying a condom to a plastic penis.  One of the three is a pretty little girl who seems unembarassed about the process.

I have heard of other, US based, programs, aimed I think unfairly, only at girls.  They have to wear a heavy bulge strapped around their bellies such that they look and feel pregnant.  The girl must keep that thing strapped to her for a six week time interval. She must live with it while sleeping, while in the shower, at the dinner table, the movie theater, and everywhere else.  Just like a real pregnancy.  The device has sensors that reveals whether it has been removed at any time, just like ankle bracelets for parolees. That gets the message across no doubt.

The brilliance of either of these programs is often, even usually, prohibited by parents who are more influenced by religious beliefs about propriety, than by affective teaching methods. 

Anne D.:
My husband and I deliberately chose not to have kids. I feel reasonably happy in life and don't regret our decision. My closest friends chose to have kids. Theirs are currently very young, and at the moment, my friends are pretty stressed and stretched thin. But hey, they have beautiful children that won't be needy creatures forever. At the moment the kids can be demons or little heartbreakers. I so enjoy interacting with them as an auntie. Who knows which of us, me or my friends, will be happier long term. I suspect my friends will have a richer life experience for having been parents, but I still have no regrets about choosing to be child free. Parenthood wasn't right for me or my spouse.
And nope, no point here. Just rambling. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version