News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

I'm back!

Started by Bluenose, November 27, 2017, 12:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluenose

Been away, for no good reason, for a while.  Those who are on Facebook will have seen a few of my posts there, but I have sadly neglected this site for a while.

For those who do not know me, I am a mad Australian, you can hold that against me if you like, I don't give a toss!  Been an atheist for a long time, since I was 14 (circa 1971).  Since I was last on this site I did in fact travel to Pommy Land and got to visit Tank, OldGit Clairliontamer and Griffin, plus visited the fair isle of Islay where I conducted some quality control testing at the laphroaig distillery.  I am an ex-Navy aviator (Observer to be precise) and I love fishing.  All else is subject to change, including all the forgoing, if I can come up with a better story.

Happy HAFing to you all!
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dave

Hi, Bluenose, I must have joined since you went ajourneying. Interesting name, I have circulation prob that gives my nose a blue tone in cold weather. Scares the medics more than me!

Nowt wrong with being Australian, tell you a tale from an old RAF pal about their effect on one German cop sometime.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bluenose

Hi Dave, Bluenose comes from one of my favourite fish, the bluenose cod (aka trout cod), a close relative of Murray cod.  These fish are officially listed as endangered, but due to the efforts of Native Fish Australia, an organisation I'm a long time member of and that of several government fisheries agencies they are making a come back.  Actually, it's not fair to still have them listed as endangered, but if they are downgraded, certain people in the government agencies will lose control and so they remain.  Hmm, better stop now before my soapbox gets too big a work out!

GNU Terry Pratchett

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Recusant

Glad to see you here again, Bluenose:welcomeback:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Magdalena

Welcome back, Bluenose:computerwave:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Sandra Craft

Yay, you're back!  I was about to ask where "Bluenose" came from too.  So many things to learn in life.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Bluenose

Thanks for the welcome back guys.  It makes me wonder why I was away.  I guess RL gets in the way sometimes!

GNU Terry Pratchett

Ecurb Noselrub

Never heard of "Pommy Land", so I looked it up.  Poms are Brits who immigrate to Australia, and the sun turns their skin red like a pomegranate, thus "Pom ".  Pommy Land is England.  Learn something new every day.

Bluenose

Well us Aussies (pronounced "ozzies" BTW) are far more inclusive than that, all residents of Great Britain are Pommies.  Also, an alternative derivation of Pommy is from POME, Prisoner Of Mother England, a reflection perhaps on our convict history.  You mileage may vary. Oh, and in most Aussie's eyes, at least in casual conversation, England includes Scotland and Wales, and all citizens of the USA are Yanks.  But it's all OK, you're all welcome to come over and visit and we'll give you good advice on how to avoid drop-bears!

GNU Terry Pratchett

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 29, 2017, 12:45:56 PM
Never heard of "Pommy Land", so I looked it up.  Poms are Brits who immigrate to Australia, and the sun turns their skin red like a pomegranate, thus "Pom ".  Pommy Land is England.  Learn something new every day.

I haven't  heard that, don't necessarily believe that. I thought, assumed it had to do with the way they talked.
I've read/heard of the black fellas seeing the interlopers venturing inland as pink/red.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dragonia

Nice to read your intro, Bluenose. I've never met an Aussie I didn't like! (Ok, I've only met a few, but still...) And your country scares the crap out of me, with all the Most Deadly______ In The World. -- just fill in the blank with your favorite venomous creature.
I look forward to hearing more of what's in your brain!  :)
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)