Author Topic: All things brain...  (Read 6642 times)

Recusant

• Miscreant Erendrake
  • Administrator
  • Guardian of Reason
  • infidel barbarian
Re: All things brain...
« Reply #135 on: November 05, 2018, 03:33:48 PM »
Here's an article that puts forward the idea that consciousness is produced by an ongoing complex feedback loop of energy in the brain. The paper written by the author of the article is also linked below.

"How a trippy 1980s video effect might help to explain consciousness" | The Conversation

Explaining consciousness is one of the hardest problems in science and philosophy. Recent neuroscientific discoveries suggest that a solution could be within reach – but grasping it will mean rethinking some familiar ideas. Consciousness, I argue in a new paper, may be caused by the way the brain generates loops of energetic feedback, similar to the video feedback that “blossoms” when a video camera is pointed at its own output.

I first saw video feedback in the late 1980s and was instantly entranced. Someone plugged the signal from a clunky video camera into a TV and pointed the lens at the screen, creating a grainy spiralling tunnel. Then the camera was tilted slightly and the tunnel blossomed into a pulsating organic kaleidoscope.

Video feedback is a classic example of complex dynamical behaviour. It arises from the way energy circulating in the system interacts chaotically with the electronic components of the hardware.

[. . .]

Video feedback may be the nearest we have to visualising what conscious processing in the brain is like.
Still from video feedback sequence. Image Credit: Robert Pepperell, 2018

[Continues . . .]

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • Administrator
  • Luxembourg Trembles!
  • "Fire together, wire together"
« Reply #136 on: November 05, 2018, 06:59:11 PM »
^ An interesting idea.
Give no mercy to your fear.

Recusant

• Miscreant Erendrake
  • Administrator
  • Guardian of Reason
  • infidel barbarian
« Reply #137 on: November 05, 2018, 07:26:28 PM »
^ An interesting idea.

:sidesmile: I am a happy pup.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • Administrator
  • Luxembourg Trembles!
« Reply #138 on: November 05, 2018, 10:27:29 PM »

Icarus

• The wise one.
  • Guardian of Reason
« Reply #139 on: November 06, 2018, 10:52:40 PM »
Superdog who is happy to do his thing.  Note the wagging tail.   That gif makes me smile

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • Administrator
  • Luxembourg Trembles!
« Reply #140 on: November 07, 2018, 08:39:51 PM »