Author Topic: All things gardening  (Read 2662 times)

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • Administrator
  • Luxembourg Trembles!
  • Twinkle, twinkle little star
Re: All things gardening
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2018, 02:02:06 PM »
xSP,  you should definitely give this a whirl and give us updates from time to time!
The commitment is too daunting to me, but I would love to live vicariously through you  ;)

Heheh, I just might! I just woke up last morning really wanting to own one of these beautiful little trees, but to be honest I have no idea how to keep one from dying. If I were to keep an online erm...log of my gardening progress I'm afraid it would be nothing but cataclysmic disaster. :lol:

Does any living being deserve my "care"? I don't know. It would probably suffer greatly. :(

:secrets1: There's a reason why I stick to cacti...

The results are so beautiful!

I know right? :tellmemore:
Give no mercy to your fear.

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • Administrator
  • Luxembourg Trembles!
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2018, 07:02:36 PM »

I think maybe dandelions are more my type of plant. :snicker:

Dragonia

• Not Afraid of the Exorcist
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2018, 12:28:57 PM »
And dandelions are useful little flowers!
You can eat every part of the plant and folklore says that it's good for lots of ailments, from Urinary Tract infections to liver problems  ;)
It's a good plant to have around.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • Administrator
  • Luxembourg Trembles!
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2018, 02:45:39 PM »
Heh, I've never eaten a flower before. There is potential for a bad pun, right there! :grin:

Unsapien

• Beginning to See the Wedge
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2018, 08:43:25 PM »
I only have a balcony to work with so all my plants are potted.

I always have flowers on the balcony in summer, and some indoor plants that go out for the summer then come in for the winter. Right now I've got a dwarf banana plant, assorted herbs, and ton of aloa vera that's growing like a weed, but we use it on our skin, it's really good for my dry skin.

This year tried growing Stevia, you know as a sugar replacement, I've made it into liquid and powered form, but I can't come close to how they do it industrially (obviously) so it gives this odd (but not entirely unpleasant) after taste. And it's a bit weird how it works, you can put just a few drops in your coffee or tea but when you drink it it takes a second or two for the sweetness to hit you, and it's like it isn't the coffee that's sweet it's your mouth that becomes sweet.

Mostly these days, cause I'm too lazy to make new powder, I just pluck a leaf off and chew it before having my coffee.
"If we are to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

jumbojak

• Chandler's Pale Cock Slurper
  • Guardian of Reason
  • The Iconic Iconoclast
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2018, 10:49:38 PM »
That sounds like folks in the Andes chewing coca leaves for, um... "altitude" sickness! I'm told it leaves a weird taste in your mouth too.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub
" Please hold your high school or college math books in higher esteem than
your copy of the KJV. " - Icarus

Tanksinatra

• I did it my wayyyyyy!!!!
  • Administrator
  • Excellent and Indefatigable Guardian of Reason
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2018, 08:01:01 AM »

I always have flowers on the balcony in summer, and some indoor plants that go out for the summer then come in for the winter. Right now I've got a dwarf banana plant, assorted herbs, and ton of aloa vera that's growing like a weed, but we use it on our skin, it's really good for my dry skin.

This year tried growing Stevia, you know as a sugar replacement, I've made it into liquid and powered form, but I can't come close to how they do it industrially (obviously) so it gives this odd (but not entirely unpleasant) after taste. And it's a bit weird how it works, you can put just a few drops in your coffee or tea but when you drink it it takes a second or two for the sweetness to hit you, and it's like it isn't the coffee that's sweet it's your mouth that becomes sweet.

Mostly these days, cause I'm too lazy to make new powder, I just pluck a leaf off and chew it before having my coffee.

Is it easy to grow? I wonder what it would be like in home made ice cream?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
“Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt.” ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Unsapien

• Beginning to See the Wedge
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2018, 01:45:37 PM »

Yes it is, it grows like and looks like just a weed. I was a bit slow taking it inside and it went through the first fall frost, it killed some of the bigger leaves, but it started recovering after about a week.

I don't know about ice cream, but I like to experiment and at some point I'm going to try a figure out if I can bake something with it like cookies or muffins.

"If we are to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

Tanksinatra

• I did it my wayyyyyy!!!!
  • Administrator
  • Excellent and Indefatigable Guardian of Reason
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2018, 07:56:56 PM »

Yes it is, it grows like and looks like just a weed. I was a bit slow taking it inside and it went through the first fall frost, it killed some of the bigger leaves, but it started recovering after about a week.

I don't know about ice cream, but I like to experiment and at some point I'm going to try a figure out if I can bake something with it like cookies or muffins.

I think I'll get some :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
“Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt.” ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.