News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Sensory Deprivation Tanks

Started by Arturo, May 10, 2017, 02:05:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Arturo

Quote from: Magdalena on May 10, 2017, 05:49:54 PM
Quote from: Arturo on May 10, 2017, 07:10:58 AM
After Tank Immersion

https://youtu.be/PXHz9Lec7as

You look and sound sooooooooooo relaxed!
;D

I also did this with no salt. The espom salts are what you use to help you float and if I were an educated guesser, I would say it helps you retain water. (Salt absorbs water, which is why they sell it during winter time). If you had no salt, like I did, you would just sink, like I did. The salt (jeez how many times am I gonna say that) helps deprive weightlessness since it makes you float.

I am much more amped up today though. I went to class and felt like I knew every answer. Whether it was because it was easy or not isn't clear. But I bought some espom salt and am going to do it again tonight. I feel better after doing that and am going to test it to see if it was because of the deprivation.

But for now I gotta do homework. Peace!
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on May 10, 2017, 05:49:54 PM
Quote from: Arturo on May 10, 2017, 07:10:58 AM
After Tank Immersion

https://youtu.be/PXHz9Lec7as

You look and sound sooooooooooo relaxed!
;D

Yes, it seems to be having a good effect on you, Arturo!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

I rather doubt that epsom salts could increase the specific gravity of a partially saturated solution enough to matter much. Example of fresh water versus salt sea water is fresh = 62.4 pounds per cubic foot while salt water is at 64.0 pounds per cubic foot. That difference matters with a large ship but not much difference for the human body. A 180 pound person or about 84 kilograms will displace an equivalent 84 liters of water if the body is fully submerged. 

The buoyancy of a human is somewhat influenced by his/her body mass index. Fat is less dense than muscle so chubby people tend to float more freely than more muscular ones.

Dragonia

Dang, I need to try this whole "sensory deprivation tank" experiment in my bathtub. There's no way I would exit that experiment worse than when I started.... Especially after the last couple weeks I've had. I wouldn't even mind a couple of hallucinations. In fact, I welcome them! Ill let you all know if things get all crazy. ...
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Arturo

Quote from: Dragonia on May 11, 2017, 04:22:10 AM
Dang, I need to try this whole "sensory deprivation tank" experiment in my bathtub. There's no way I would exit that experiment worse than when I started.... Especially after the last couple weeks I've had. I wouldn't even mind a couple of hallucinations. In fact, I welcome them! Ill let you all know if things get all crazy. ...

👍👍👍👍
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Arturo

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 10, 2017, 12:17:42 PM
Can't say isolating myself with limited sensory input is something I would like to do as I'm sure I'll just get bored. If boredom would result with limited isolation, I wonder what sort of mental state I'd be in with near total sensory deprivation.   :rainbowpuke:

I also heard that near total sensory deprivation might induce hallucinations after a while, but I don't know if this is true.  :nyancat:

They are mild. It's not like you will see a person watching you or something.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on May 11, 2017, 02:19:43 AM
I rather doubt that epsom salts could increase the specific gravity of a partially saturated solution enough to matter much. Example of fresh water versus salt sea water is fresh = 62.4 pounds per cubic foot while salt water is at 64.0 pounds per cubic foot. That difference matters with a large ship but not much difference for the human body. A 180 pound person or about 84 kilograms will displace an equivalent 84 liters of water if the body is fully submerged. 

The buoyancy of a human is somewhat influenced by his/her body mass index. Fat is less dense than muscle so chubby people tend to float more freely than more muscular ones.
Their lungs would have to be full and they'd have to have a BMI of 0. Also women with large breasts have a built in life jacket. And before people jump on me that's what my wife said. And she has a fine built in life jacket.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Arturo

I just came out again and this time I shot for 2 hours instead of 1. I didn't have the same experience or I may have just been impatient. So I got out early. However, time went by WAY slower. I ended up 3 minutes shy of an hour and thinking I was close to 2.

Edit: I seemed to have the same calm demeanor as the night before. Which I observed when talking with friends.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on May 11, 2017, 02:19:43 AM

The density of the Dead Sea is 1.25kg/l as opposed to 1.05 for "normal" sea water and people float "higher" in that. Epsom sslt has a greater density than sodium chloride, 2.66 g/cm^2 as opposed to 2.16, so a similar concentration would surely offer greater buoyamcy?

Advice: don't drink the water or you might get some really serious sensations!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

High-Tech Floatation Epsom Salt Treatments
"In the latest models of tanks, we use a saturated solution of Epsom salts (MgSO4+7H2O) at a solution density of 1.30 grams per cubic centimeter. It was discovered that this density of solution allows one to float supine and have the whole body at or near the surface of the liquid. One's hands float, one's arms, legs, and feet float and, most important, one's head floats. We have found that even the thinnest person with the least amount of fat floats in this way in the tank. With these simplifications of the technique it has turned out that we have devised a method of attaining the deepest rest that we have ever experienced." (Dr. John C. Lilly)

This is from the site
http://www.thefloatspa.com/epsom_salts.html
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Icarus

Wow! I stand corrected. Gotta' get me some epsom salt for my bath tub and my tired old body.