News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Proof of a soul? NDEs in the blind.

Started by manga, April 08, 2017, 12:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on April 10, 2017, 11:02:23 PM
Mags, The SNL vid was a real hoot. I LMAO.   ;D
;D
It is a real hoot!
I could watch it one thousand times, and it will make me laugh one thousand times.  :lol:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

Quote from: MariaEvri on April 09, 2017, 04:13:33 PM
I don;t know if this belongs here and if it;s mentioned before sorry
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightatheism/essays/a-ghost-in-the-machine/
a good essay on the non existence of the soul

I've been reading through this essay, and I'd say it's not just good, it's excellent. Thank you very much, MariaEvri, for posting that link. I wonder if manga even bothered to click on it.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

MariaEvri

Quote from: Recusant on April 14, 2017, 06:00:13 PM
Quote from: MariaEvri on April 09, 2017, 04:13:33 PM
I don;t know if this belongs here and if it;s mentioned before sorry
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightatheism/essays/a-ghost-in-the-machine/
a good essay on the non existence of the soul

I've been reading through this essay, and I'd say it's not just good, it's excellent. Thank you very much, MariaEvri, for posting that link. I wonder if manga even bothered to click on it.

Eever since I;ve discovered this gem through the greek atheists site, Ive been referencing it all over the place
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Old Seer

Quote from: Recusant on April 08, 2017, 12:44:24 AM
Do you find this sort of thing convincing, manga?
From what I understand, in biblical context the term soul is the same as "person". In general use  such as --That person will definitely go to hell.  When a person dies their soul remains alive,(according to most religious thinking) and that is  what goes to hell. In common usage then soul=person. They don't explain how something that has no nerves can feel pain--but, we know they cannot be correct. One person in the book says the dead are conscious of nothing. As the saying is---no brain no pain.
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.