Author Topic: What Are You Reading?  (Read 8071 times)

Bad Penny II

• Kickin' Back With d'Holbach
  • Nice Borderline Troll
Re: What Are You Reading?
« Reply #135 on: March 13, 2019, 11:24:41 AM »
Since I'm going to Russia this summer, I'm reading War & Peace

I'm sure I could have made some humorous reply to that back in my prime.
A bag of bricks delivered with a smile?
Ye, but I don't know of a single contemporary Russian novel that he should read instead.
Our ignorance isn't our fault, Russian literature went out fashion fifty years ago.
Ah, the gulags, those were the days.
Maybe he'll get to visit a gulag theme park.

Right now, Napoleon is in the process of invading Russia - one of his stupidest moves. He had some genius moments as a general, and some really dumb ones.

Ye, he didn't even have the oil motivation.

The characters, it's hard to like any of them.

I hate gambling with the zeal of an outraged bean counter.

Certainty disturbs me

Recusant

• Miscreant Erendrake
  • Administrator
  • Wears a Colander Hat for Special Occasions
  • infidel barbarian
« Reply #136 on: March 13, 2019, 02:46:14 PM »
If you're reading old books about Russia, I can suggest Hedrick Smith's The Russians:)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ecurb Noselrub

• No Wall in my name!!!
« Reply #137 on: March 13, 2019, 08:22:49 PM »
Since I'm going to Russia this summer, I'm reading War & Peace.  I'm at page 804 out of 1458.  Taking it a little at a time.  It's about Russian aristocratic families and all their social events, love affairs and internecine squabbles, interspersed with descriptions of the Napoleonic Wars.  It takes place from 1805 onward.  Right now, Napoleon is in the process of invading Russia - one of his stupidest moves. He had some genius moments as a general, and some really dumb ones.

Oooo! When are you going? Where are you going?

Leave July 16, return July 29.  We fly into St. Petersburg, get on a Viking river ship, stay 4 days in St. Pete, then go down Neva River, through some lakes, to the Volga, then to the Moscow River, stopping at 5 smaller towns.  Then finish up in Moscow for 4 days.  Lots of excursions planned during the stops.

Tank

• Oink oink!
  • Administrator
  • Excellent and Indefatigable Guardian of Reason
« Reply #138 on: March 14, 2019, 06:13:55 AM »
Since I'm going to Russia this summer, I'm reading War & Peace.  I'm at page 804 out of 1458.  Taking it a little at a time.  It's about Russian aristocratic families and all their social events, love affairs and internecine squabbles, interspersed with descriptions of the Napoleonic Wars.  It takes place from 1805 onward.  Right now, Napoleon is in the process of invading Russia - one of his stupidest moves. He had some genius moments as a general, and some really dumb ones.

Leave July 16, return July 29.  We fly into St. Petersburg, get on a Viking river ship, stay 4 days in St. Pete, then go down Neva River, through some lakes, to the Volga, then to the Moscow River, stopping at 5 smaller towns.  Then finish up in Moscow for 4 days.  Lots of excursions planned during the stops.

That's going to be amazing!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
“Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt.” ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Essie Mae

• Free to think.
  • Not Defeated by the Dark Night of the Soul
  • I Hope Uncle Bert is still my friend.
« Reply #139 on: March 14, 2019, 09:07:47 AM »
Such interesting suggestions here.  I just finished Ta-Nehisi Coates' Between the World and Me.  Of two minds about it, mostly because the writing style was a bit too philosophical/poetic for me and I'm not sure I always understood what was meant.  And sometimes I think I understood it extremely well.  Will have to let this one digest a few days.

That’s interesting. I’ve also found that I can read a book without fully understanding it. ‘Cloud Atlas’ by Davis Mitchell and ‘The Blind Assasin’ by Margaret Atwood come to mind.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Essie Mae

• Free to think.
  • Not Defeated by the Dark Night of the Soul
  • I Hope Uncle Bert is still my friend.
« Reply #140 on: March 14, 2019, 09:12:08 AM »

How did you even decide on a trip like that? Is it a historical tour? Do they mind talking about those times? I’d have thought that some more contemporary reading would be more informative. Well jealous anyway.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Ecurb Noselrub

• No Wall in my name!!!
« Reply #141 on: March 17, 2019, 12:15:56 AM »

That's what I'm hoping.  I'm studying Russian now - it's a damn hard language, at least for me.  My next door neighbors speak it (they are from the country Georgia), so I'm hoping to get in a few conversations with them.  I don't want to order vodka at a bar and instead say something bad about Putin's mother.