Author Topic: When to Make the Sign of the Cross?  (Read 2709 times)

OldGit

• Ich em alder thene ich wes awintre and ech a lare
  • The Cure for Boredom is Curiosity. There is No Cure For Curiosity.
  • No amount of belief makes something a fact.
Re: When to Make the Sign of the Cross?
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2016, 08:07:49 PM »
That is really superb.

Asmodean

• The Grumpy Lumpy
  • Administrator
  • Luxembourg Trembles!
  • The GrayGod
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2016, 10:59:26 PM »
Who was that comedian who did that "In the name of the father, the son and into the hole he goes" thing? I feel like re-watching that.

That was Dave Allen
Ah, yes. That's the one.  :)
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Pasta Chick

• Global Moderator
  • Guardian of Reason
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2016, 02:09:17 AM »
I think it depends somewhat on denomination, and I think it's somewhat contextual too. I work with someone who crosses herself for protection. For instance, during a discussion about Lyme disease, which is a pretty serious problem in this area. When she was pregnant she would cross her belly too.

Icarus

• The wise one.
  • Guardian of Reason
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2016, 05:32:52 AM »
  Crossing ones self appears to be a general purpose mini ritual.  It is not uncommon to see a field goal kicker (American football)  use the routine before his kick attempt. It is also seen with some regularity when a baseball batter takes his turn at the plate.  I have also seen Boxers and other athletes use the cross thing before participating. I take it that the person is either petitioning god for assistence or at least asking for divine permission to succeed independently..

Asmodean

• The Grumpy Lumpy
  • Administrator
  • Luxembourg Trembles!
  • The GrayGod
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2016, 08:31:21 AM »
...or at least asking for divine permission to succeed independently..
This, it disgusts The Asmo. :sadshake:
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Happy with no god

• Beginning to See the Wedge
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2016, 12:46:08 PM »
The first time a new work colleague was in the car with me driving he started making the cross. At first I thought it was my driving but then found he did it every time he saw a magpie. Now every time i see one I point it out to him “look a magpie” just amuses me.  ;D
I don’t know why people are so keen to put the details of their private life in public(Facebook). They forget that invisibility is a superpower."

Magdalena

• Butterfly of Doom.
  • Don't Pray in My School, and I Won't Think in Your Church
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2016, 05:04:58 PM »
The first time a new work colleague was in the car with me driving he started making the cross. At first I thought it was my driving but then found he did it every time he saw a magpie. Now every time i see one I point it out to him “look a magpie” just amuses me.  ;D
A magpie--why?  :scratch:
Others do it when they pass by a cemetery, or when they see or hear an ambulance. I also read that the sign of the cross strengthens us in temptations...I hope kids don't use this as a birth control method.  :-\

OldGit

• Ich em alder thene ich wes awintre and ech a lare
  • No amount of belief makes something a fact.
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2016, 05:34:35 PM »
Many English people feel they should greet a solitary Magpie politely, for fear of bad luck.  Two or more Magpies should be ignored.  Sometimes I do it just to keep up the old custom.  Many a time I've shot one without greeting it and then wondered if I ought to greet it afterwards.

Sandra Craft

• Surprisingly OK
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2016, 07:08:08 PM »
Others do it when they pass by a cemetery, or when they see or hear an ambulance. I also read that the sign of the cross strengthens us in temptations...I hope kids don't use this as a birth control method.  :-\

Magpie poem:

One for sorrow,
Two for mirth
Three for a funeral,
Four for birth
Five for heaven
Six for hell
Seven for the devil, his own self.
Sandy

"I think this is the prettiest world -- as long as you don't mind a little dying, how could there be a day in your whole life that doesn't have its splash of happiness?"  from The Kingfisher, by Mary Oliver

Magdalena

• Butterfly of Doom.
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2016, 07:25:14 PM »
Many English people feel they should greet a solitary Magpie politely, for fear of bad luck.  Two or more Magpies should be ignored.  Sometimes I do it just to keep up the old custom.  Many a time I've shot one without greeting it and then wondered if I ought to greet it afterwards.

Magpie poem:

One for sorrow,
Two for mirth
Three for a funeral,
Four for birth
Five for heaven
Six for hell

Poor little birds. What the hell did they do? :(

Davin

• (o°-°)=o o(o*-°)
    • DevPirates
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2016, 07:54:55 PM »

Magpie poem:

One for sorrow,
Two for mirth
Three for a funeral,
Four for birth
Five for heaven
Six for hell

The magpie is always watching!

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Magdalena

• Butterfly of Doom.
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2016, 08:28:09 PM »

Magpie poem:

One for sorrow,
Two for mirth
Three for a funeral,
Four for birth
Five for heaven
Six for hell

The magpie is always watching!

Oh, I see...just like The Asmo:couchhide:

Tank

• Fed up with stupid.
  • Administrator
  • Excellent and Indefatigable Guardian of Reason
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2016, 09:58:31 PM »

Magpie poem:

One for sorrow,
Two for mirth
Three for a funeral,
Four for birth
Five for heaven
Six for hell

They are inedible and therefore on no use.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
“Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt.” ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

• Surprisingly OK
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2016, 10:21:28 PM »

They're black birds, more or less.  People just don't seem to like black birds -- crows and ravens get a lot of flack too.
Sandy

"I think this is the prettiest world -- as long as you don't mind a little dying, how could there be a day in your whole life that doesn't have its splash of happiness?"  from The Kingfisher, by Mary Oliver

Magdalena

• Butterfly of Doom.
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2016, 02:16:08 AM »

Magpie poem:

One for sorrow,
Two for mirth
Three for a funeral,
Four for birth
Five for heaven
Six for hell

They are inedible and therefore on no use.
Can't you guys make pillows with their feathers, or something?  :-\