Author Topic: CRISPR-Cas9: Developments in Genomic Editing  (Read 2569 times)

Recusant

• Miscreant Erendrake
  • Administrator
  • Wears a Colander Hat for Special Occasions
  • infidel barbarian
Re: CRISPR-Cas9: Developments in Genomic Editing
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2018, 01:05:18 PM »
Moving along (autoplay video at link, though the video seems decent enough).

"CRISPR Gene Editing Fixes Muscular Dystrophy in Dogs. Are Humans Next?" | TIME

The powerful gene editing technology CRISPR is one small step closer to treating a human disease.

In a new paper published in Science, researchers led by Eric Olson, professor and chair of molecular biology at UT Southwestern Medical Center, reported that he and his team successfully used CRISPR to correct the genetic defect responsible for Duchenne muscular dystrophy in four beagles bred with the disease-causing gene. It’s the first use of CRISPR to treat muscular dystrophy in a large animal. (Previous studies had tested the technology on rodents.) In varying degrees, the genetic therapy halted the muscle degradation associated with the disease.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

• Formerly known as Gloucester
  • Don't Pray in My School, and I Won't Think in Your Church
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2018, 01:10:27 PM »
Looks promising.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

No one

• Not Defeated by the Dark Night of the Soul
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2018, 05:00:25 PM »
Can the shit brained asshat element be removed from the DNA?

Recusant

• Miscreant Erendrake
  • Administrator
  • Wears a Colander Hat for Special Occasions
  • infidel barbarian
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2018, 07:46:45 AM »
I failed to note this story here when it first developed. Anyway, more information has come out and, well, it's not great.

"The CRISPR Baby Scandal Gets Worse by the Day" | The Atlantic

Before last week, few people had heard the name He Jiankui. But on November 25, the young Chinese researcher became the center of a global firestorm when it emerged that he had allegedly made the first crispr-edited babies, twin girls named Lulu and Nana. Antonio Regalado broke the story for MIT Technology Review, and He himself described the experiment at an international gene-editing summit in Hong Kong. After his talk, He revealed that another early pregnancy is under way.

It is still unclear if He did what he claims to have done. Nonetheless, the reaction was swift and negative. The CRISPR pioneer Jennifer Doudna says she was “horrified,” NIH Director Francis Collins said the experiment was “profoundly disturbing,” and even Julian Savulescu, an ethicist who has described gene-editing research as “a moral necessity,” described He’s work as “monstrous.”

Such a strong reaction is understandable, given the many puzzling and worrying details about the experiment. Even without any speculation about designer babies and Gattaca-like futures that may or may not come to pass, the details about what has already transpired are galling enough. If you wanted to create the worst possible scenario for introducing the first gene-edited babies into the world, it is difficult to imagine how you could improve on this 15-part farce.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sherman Firefly

• I did it my wayyyyyy!!!!
  • Administrator
  • Excellent and Indefatigable Guardian of Reason
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2018, 12:00:29 PM »
It was only a matter of time :(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
“Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt.” ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.