Author Topic: A Word for the Day  (Read 1809 times)

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • Administrator
  • Silly Overlord
  • "Fire together, wire together"
Re: A Word for the Day
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2018, 12:18:46 AM »
Really, I've never heard a recording that does justice to hearing them in person. I've got a practice chanter, but that isn't nearly as impressive as an actual set of bagpipes. It's been a dream since childhood to have a set, but they're rather expensive.

I like bagpipes, the sound they make is...interesting. :grin: Do you know how to play them?
I'm just a student of the game that they taught me.

Recusant

• Miscreant Erendrake
  • Administrator
  • Guardian of Reason
  • infidel barbarian
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2018, 09:09:54 AM »
I can coax a tune out of a practice chanter, but that isn't the same as playing the pipes.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

• Fed up with stupid.
  • Administrator
  • Excellent and Indefatigable Guardian of Reason
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2018, 09:51:12 AM »
Really, I've never heard a recording that does justice to hearing them in person. I've got a practice chanter, but that isn't nearly as impressive as an actual set of bagpipes. It's been a dream since childhood to have a set, but they're rather expensive.

How much do they cost?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
“Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt.” ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

• Fed up with stupid.
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2018, 09:52:51 AM »
I paid the piper on Lindisfarne £20 to go and have lunch when I was there. Bloody racket!  >:(
“Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt.” ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Recusant

• Miscreant Erendrake
  • Administrator
  • Guardian of Reason
  • infidel barbarian
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2018, 02:48:47 PM »
How much do they cost?

An "inexpensive" set using plastic rather than wood for the pipes comes to a bit over £700. A proper set could run to between about £1200 to a couple thousand pounds. Of course if you shop around and get something made in Pakistan or whatever, it would be possible to undercut those prices.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 03:00:46 PM by Recusant »
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

• Formerly known as Gloucester
  • Wears a Colander Hat for Special Occasions
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2018, 02:58:02 PM »
How much do they cost?

An "inexpensive" set using plastic rather than wood for the pipes comes to a bit over £700 with VAT, excluding shipping. A proper set could run to a couple thousand pounds.

I trust the bag is no longer a bladder or stomach or anything else organic!

Hey, must be a market here for a kids' version using a balloon! Another way to drive adults mad!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.

Tank

• Fed up with stupid.
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2018, 04:24:03 PM »
How much do they cost?

An "inexpensive" set using plastic rather than wood for the pipes comes to a bit over £700. A proper set could run to between about £1200 to a couple thousand pounds. Of course if you shop around and get something made in Pakistan or whatever, it would be possible to undercut those prices.

I suppose it is hand made item with a limited market. But as you say not a trivial purchase.

joeactor

• That guy you know.
  • Global Moderator
  • Has an Invisible Dragon in Their Garage
  • Reading Invisible Ink Novels
    • Joe's Dump
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2018, 06:15:39 PM »
How much do they cost?

I suppose it is hand made item with a limited market. But as you say not a trivial purchase.

There's a bagpiper who plays at one of the parks where we hike. He's very good. Still not a huge fan of the music...

Dave

• Formerly known as Gloucester
  • Wears a Colander Hat for Special Occasions
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2018, 06:28:10 PM »
I must admit that a full pipe and drum band can be moving - in the right place at the right time!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.

hermes2015

• Doesn't Believe the Universe Was Made for Them
« Reply #39 on: Today at 05:55:08 AM »