News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Christianity = Repressive? (Split Topic)

Started by Court, July 27, 2006, 03:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Court

Quote from: "iplaw"Just understand that as disgusting as you see evangelical christians, reverse the sentiment for the average christian who sees an evangelical atheist.

But I don't think I've ever seen an evangelical atheist standing on a street corner yelling verses from Darwin.
Just understand that from our POV, christianity merely preaches ignorance...
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

iplaw

How is the fundie yelling on the street corner any different from the fundie yelling "god is imaginary" in public when someone says "merry christmas" to them.  

As from our POV atheism preaches the same.  Just seeing life from different perspectives.

Court

It's frustrating from both perspectives, I know. I used to, after all, be a christian.
But I think that promoting atheism serves two purposes (although, I wouldn't agree that yelling "god is imaginary" on the street is a good way to promote atheism): It debunks the false, negative stereotypes about atheists and it promotes open-mindedness and rationality. I just want people to understand why they believe the way they do, and urge them to use the same standards for their religious beliefs as they do for the rest of their beliefs (like not believing in Santa).
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

iplaw

You should have stopped with the first sentence.  Any justification of evangelistic behavior for either side entitles the other to behave similarly without complaints.

Court

Quote from: "iplaw"You should have stopped with the first sentence.  Any justification of evangelistic behavior for either side entitles the other to behave similarly without complaints.
I don't mind christians "sharing beliefs"... I mind forcing their beliefs. There's a difference. If I tell them in the first 30 seconds that I'm not interested, they should back off. This rarely happens.
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

Asmodean Prime

Quote from: "Big Mac"onlyme, my mother had to raise me when my parents divorced (after years of fighting, seperations, and things being thrown by both parties) and then roughly a year after the divorce my father died in a car accident. How does my mother being a single-parent fit in the same category as a pedophile? This right here has pissed me off. And usually I acknowledge you are trying.
onlyme, my mother had to raise me when my parents divorced (after years of fighting, seperations, and things being thrown by both parties) and then roughly a year after the divorce my father died in a car accident. How does my mother being a single-parent fit in the same category as a pedophile? This right here has pissed me off. And usually I acknowledge you are trying.onlyme, my mother had to raise me when my parents divorced (after years of fighting, seperations, and things being thrown by both parties) and then roughly a year after the divorce my father died in a car accident. How does my mother being a single-parent fit in the same category as a pedophile? This right here has pissed me off. And usually I acknowledge you are trying.

Switch to KILL!

Bigmac, I think you missed my earlier post regarding this matter.  I clarified it by NOT lumping single parent families with paedophiles.  I don't know, maybe it was on another part of this forum.  I'm all fingers and thumbs at the moment - can't keep track of my postings.   Sorry, but please search for my posting history to elucidate my thoughts on this matter.

As I said earlier, I grew up in something of a similar situation, my father used to beat me and my sister for not going to school.  we feared him.  Now he's dead, though, I wish he were back, in all honesty.

I reply, with wondering thoughts, on many topics on this forum.  None of them seem to follow a common thread.  I apologise.  I'm new to this forum thing.  This is the first one I've been on.

iplaw

Can't disagree.  I don't think I was arguing for anyone to do that though.

Court

Quote from: "onlyme"Bigmac, I think you missed my earlier post regarding this matter.  I clarified it by NOT lumping single parent families with paedophiles.  I don't know, maybe it was on another part of this forum.  I'm all fingers and thumbs at the moment - can't keep track of my postings.   Sorry, but please search for my posting history to elucidate my thoughts on this matter.
You did post it in the wrong place. I copied it over for you, but Big M had already replied to your earlier post.

Quote from: "onlyme"As I said earlier, I grew up in something of a similar situation, my father used to beat me and my sister for not going to school.  we feared him.  Now he's dead, though, I wish he were back, in all honesty.
Why? My dad didn't beat me, but he was a verbally abusive, nasty, drunk son-of-a-bitch and I wish he would completely disappear from my life. I haven't spoken to him in at least six months, and it's a relief. If he died, I can't imagine wishing him back.
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

Court

Quote from: "iplaw"Can't disagree.  I don't think I was arguing for anyone to do that though.
You weren't. I was just clarifying that by defending "sharing beliefs," I don't mean the tactics usually employed by the more militant christians. The only thing I do generally is talk about it with friends, so that they know that questioning their beliefs isn't sinful or terrible. I plan on posting some flyers around campus, but I don't find appropriately placed christian flyers offensive. The ones on the train pissed me off because people can't help but ride the train and it doesn't have a place for it...They had just stuck them on the signs that tell you about train safety.
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

Asmodean Prime

iplaw,

are you a Christian, or an atheist?

iplaw

Best question I have been asked all day

Asmodean Prime

Quote from: "iplaw"Best question I have been asked all day

so, what is the answer?

Big Mac

He's a Christian. I'm not sure if you've noticed subtley how he talks about God in a rather awe-inspired light or not. And I think he made an explicitly Christian (as in he defended and spoke of his faith) post a while back.

Of course he is unilaterally (sounds like Dubya) ignoring me. Which is cool, because he has AIDS, just like eveyone has AIDS! (there, I made a Team America joke, are you going to respond :p )
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

iplaw

Everyone's got AIDS!  You know why everyone has AIDS, cause everyone wants to be loyal and you know what loyalty means?  It means you will to do certain things for the good of your country.  You want to help them don't you Gary?  I know you're dedicated Gary.

Big Mac

Have you seen an ant eat its own head?
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?