Author Topic: Forum Rules  (Read 6580 times)

Whitney

• Administrator
  • Don't Pray in My School, and I Won't Think in Your Church
  • Mysteriously Absent - Like God
    • http://fellowshipoffreethought.org
Forum Rules
« on: January 11, 2009, 05:00:54 AM »
Rules last revised on 28th November 2015.  Please read.

Welcome to HAF. Since we'd like to get to know you better before jumping into debates please introduce yourself.

RULES

1.   CIVILITY:  To maintain a happy and productive forum atmosphere, members are to remember the importance of civility by striving to comply with the forums conduct guidelines.

2.   RIGHT TO PRIVACY:  Unless required by law, the personal information of forum members shall not be revealed by any registered or administrative member.  The HAF administrative staff cannot be held responsible for private information a member chooses to make public.

CONDUCT GUIDELINES

TIME OUT: All members should take time to think and cool down before responding to posts in an angry, disrespectful, or otherwise inappropriate tone (including intoxication). This approach will help to maintain a civil tone and allow members to avoid making posts they will later regret.

INTERNATIONAL:  This forum has membership from various parts of the world.  People of many ethnicities, cultures, religions, lack of religions, etc. do not always understand slang, sarcasm, or attitudes.   Members should keep this in mind when posting in debates or discussions in order to avoid unnecessary turmoil.''

NO RACISM:  Racism and other forms of hate speech will simply not be tolerated by the administrators of this forum.

NO PREACHING:  While everyone is welcome to discuss their views in a civil manner, this forum is not a podium for those that only wish to preach.  This rule applies to atheists and theists alike. Preaching means stating your beliefs without providing evidence.  If directly asked what you believe you may answer but it would then become against the rules if you were to then refuse to back up your views objectively when honestly challenged.  This means that if you want to use your religious text to prove your deity, for instance, you will also need to be prepared to prove that your religious text is an objective source of evidence.

NO SPAM: If in your first post on the forum you include a link, copy paste text, etc it will be considered spam and may be removed or partially removed by a moderator at their own discretion without notice. Spam is everything from unwanted advertisements to posting the same thread or comment on many different forums. If you would like to bring attention to a project of yours (youtube channel, ask for people to take a survey, want feedback on your blog, etc.) just send one of the moderators a heads up private message first so we don't think you're just here to self-promote but are interested in being a contributing member.

NO PLAGIARISM: When quoting from a source other than yourself give credit where credit is due: use citations, links, names, etc. when possible.  Academic integrity is important to the members of HAF.  Adding your opinion alongside cited text will not only improve the quality of your post but is encouraged.

COPYRIGHTED CONTENT--QUOTE/SUMMARIZE, AND LINK: Please do not post entire contents of articles or posts from other sites, as this may run afoul of copyright laws. Quote a relevant section and summarize the rest if you wish, and always post a link to the original.

WORK FRIENDLY:  Keep forum content work friendly. For instance, if an image you want to post is not appropriate for a work environment then link to the image rather than placing the image in your post.

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS:  Although we realize this can be difficult, please try very hard not to feed the trolls.  It also should go without saying that trolling is not allowed on this forum.  For more information please see Trolling 101.

NO MALICIOUS SOCK PUPPETS:  If you create a sock-puppet for purposes of trolling or sowing vexation and discord you and your sock puppet will be sanctioned, up to and including summary banning.  If you are going to be sharing a computer/IP with a friend you must notify an admin upon sign up.

QUOTES:  To avoid confusion and maintain readability, members are expected to use the quote feature.  Surround quote and /quote in square brackets to wrap text in a quote rectangle, as well as the quote button (the one that looks like a dialog box from a cartoon).

SIGNATURES:  To maintain easy readability of forum threads, signatures should be non-obstructive.  Links to outside sites are allowed as long as their content does not promote hate or violate national/international law.  Members shall limit the size of their signature images to no larger than 470 pixels wide by 60 pixels tall. 

HOW TO BEHAVE ON AN INTERNET FORUM (VIDEO) Just click here to watch it.  It's funny an informative if you are new to forums.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 12:12:12 AM by Recusant »

Whitney

• Administrator
Re: Forum Rules
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 05:16:41 PM »
Last edited by Whitney on Sat 22 Jan, 2011 12:16 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Reason: expanding on preaching section, removing broken image

Whitney

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 02:00:03 AM »
Rules updated; added:
Welcome to HAF. Since we'd like to get to know you better before jumping into debates please introduce yourself. Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 50 posts. Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum. It is our hope that this small restriction increases the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Whitney

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 04:03:54 AM »
Rules updated, added: "No Junk Posts" section.

Whitney

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 08:38:45 PM »
50 post rule is now the 10 post rule

Tank

• Fed up with stupid.
  • Administrator
  • Excellent and Indefatigable Guardian of Reason
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 08:36:39 AM »
Tweaked the first post Spam rule as below.

Originally

NO SPAM:  If this is your first visit to the forum and you post a link, copy paste text, etc it will be considered spam and may be removed or partially removed by a moderator at their own discretion without notice. Spam is everything from unwanted advertisements to posting the same thread or comment on many different forums. If you would like to bring attention to a project of yours (youtube channel, ask for people to take a survey, want feedback on your blog, etc.) just send one of the moderators a heads up private message first so we don't think you're just here to self-promote but are interested in being a contributing member.

Currently

NO SPAM: If in your first post on the forum you include a link, copy paste text, etc it will be considered spam and may be removed or partially removed by a moderator at their own discretion without notice. Spam is everything from unwanted advertisements to posting the same thread or comment on many different forums. If you would like to bring attention to a project of yours (youtube channel, ask for people to take a survey, want feedback on your blog, etc.) just send one of the moderators a heads up private message first so we don't think you're just here to self-promote but are interested in being a contributing member.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
“Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt.” ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

McQ

• Administrator
  • Has an Invisible Dragon in Their Garage
  • Foolproof and capable of terror.
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 09:17:15 PM »
Very good. Thanks for the clarification of that rule, Chris.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Tank

• Fed up with stupid.
  • Administrator
  • Excellent and Indefatigable Guardian of Reason
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 05:56:02 PM »
The following rule has been added.

COPYRIGHTED CONTENT--QUOTE/SUMMARIZE, AND LINK: Please do not post entire contents of articles or posts from other sites, as this may run afoul of copyright laws. Quote a relevant section and summarize the rest if you wish, and always post a link to the original.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
“Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt.” ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • Global Moderator
  • The Cure for Boredom is Curiosity. There is No Cure For Curiosity.
  • On The Warpath
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 09:59:54 PM »
Update: The 10 post restriction has been dropped. New members are now able to post in all subforums.
I'm just a student of the game that they taught me.

OldGit

• Ich em alder thene ich wes awintre and ech a lare
  • The Cure for Boredom is Curiosity. There is No Cure For Curiosity.
  • No amount of belief makes something a fact.
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 09:42:56 AM »
Good decision, says I.