Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Souls in Purgatory

Started by SisterAgatha, November 03, 2017, 09:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: SisterAgatha on November 03, 2017, 11:53:19 PM
My apologies.

What do you atheists think of purgatory? That the Catholic Church made it up?

Ridiculous! It is right there in the bible and Christians have believed in it right from the beginning!

Thoughts? Beliefs?

It is not in the  Bible.  If you think it is, give me chapter & verse.

Velma

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on November 05, 2017, 08:05:29 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on November 05, 2017, 06:50:30 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on November 05, 2017, 06:37:52 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on November 04, 2017, 12:34:49 AM
Has anyone here ever stopped to think about the purgatory?

I've occasionally stopped and thought about Valhalla.  It's obviously real since the Norse have been talking about it for centuries and it's written up in both Eddas.
But Valhalla is not the purgatory, is it? It's not the limbo either.  :eyebrow:

True, but unlike the others I have actually thought about it.
I've thought about Buddhist hell. Different branches have slightly different versions with varying numbers of levels. However, none of them are permanent. That makes a bit more sense to me...you live your life, you die, go to hell, get your punishment, hopefully learn a lesson, and then get a chance to try again.

Not that I believe it - it just makes more sense than having only one chance to get it right.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Magdalena

Quote from: Velma on November 06, 2017, 03:41:23 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on November 05, 2017, 08:05:29 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on November 05, 2017, 06:50:30 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on November 05, 2017, 06:37:52 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on November 04, 2017, 12:34:49 AM
Has anyone here ever stopped to think about the purgatory?

I've occasionally stopped and thought about Valhalla.  It's obviously real since the Norse have been talking about it for centuries and it's written up in both Eddas.
But Valhalla is not the purgatory, is it? It's not the limbo either.  :eyebrow:

True, but unlike the others I have actually thought about it.
I've thought about Buddhist hell. ....
:secrets1: Ladies, please.
This is The Purgatory 101 Class.
SisterAgatha also has the, Thoughts on Hell? 101 Class, and: The Evidence against Hell? Advanced Class.

Other courses, offered by SisterAgatha:
The Talmud?
Favorite Saints?
Judaism?

Substitute teachers:
Sister Bellarmine

All I've heard about the Purgatory is that it's between hell and heaven...When "they" can't tell whether you've been good or bad, "they" send you there and you wait while "they" deliberate on your case.  --You people are so weird, how do you come up with this stuff?

Anyways...
Who cares, SisterAgatha is not gonna respond to anything, anyway.  :reading:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

^ :lol:

I didn't sign up for these lessons, where's the exit?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

I read a short story once that held that there was no hell, and purgatory (or limbo or whatever) was a place where you stayed only until you could forgive everybody for everything.  Even Hitler.  Once people did that, they moved on to heaven.  The narrator of the story was Oscar Wilde, who couldn't manage to forgive anyone. 

I've forgotten what the point of the story was but I bring it up because it's the only thing in my brain that's purgatory related.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on November 06, 2017, 11:53:43 AM
I read a short story once that held that there was no hell, and purgatory (or limbo or whatever) was a place where you stayed only until you could forgive everybody for everything.  Even Hitler.  Once people did that, they moved on to heaven.  The narrator of the story was Oscar Wilde, who couldn't manage to forgive anyone. 

I've forgotten what the point of the story was but I bring it up because it's the only thing in my brain that's purgatory related.

Yes, everything is so confusing, everything is a  :airquotes: mystery. :airquotes: ...hell, heaven, the purgatory. --Weirdos.  ::)

Dave

I have not been following this thread so do not know if another has come to this conclusion:

Purgatory is being locked in a small room, for eternity,  with the likes of "Sister Agatha."

A single hour would merely be Hell.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Pasta Chick

I just realized I live not far from Purgatory and have hike there, although we tend to avoid it a bit becasue it's usually full of people and dogs on Flexileads.

https://newengland.com/today/travel/massachusetts/the-legend-of-purgatory-chasm/

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Pasta Chick on November 06, 2017, 03:32:32 PM
I just realized I live not far from Purgatory and have hike there, although we tend to avoid it a bit becasue it's usually full of people and dogs on Flexileads.

https://newengland.com/today/travel/massachusetts/the-legend-of-purgatory-chasm/

That looks like a cool place, but it does also look like a large touristy type location so I can see why you would want to avoid it PC... :P

I remember when I was in school the nuns would often lead us in prayers to assist though who were stuck in purgatory as Catholics believe that the actions of people still alive on earth can affect those who are in purgatory...luckily us Atheist have the "Skip Purgatory, and Advance Directly To Hell" card.

So we don't have to worry about it, like heaven it sounds like a miserable place.

::)

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on November 06, 2017, 02:10:09 PM
I have not been following this thread so do not know if another has come to this conclusion:

Purgatory is being locked in a small room, for eternity,  with the likes of "Sister Agatha."

Being sick with the flu, with the likes of Sister Agatha.

Come here Sister Agatha! Let me give you a hug! :sneezy:

SisterAgatha --> :rant::sneezy: <-- Moi
There's a good chance you'll get infected by a virus that your benevolent god intelligently designed.

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 06, 2017, 05:33:11 PM

There's a good chance you'll get infected by a virus that your benevolent god intelligently designed.

Trying to work out how I can  :hug: and  :lol: at the same time!

(Whilst wearing a virus proof mask 'cos my flu jab might not work on your foreign bugs!)
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on November 06, 2017, 06:16:07 PM

Trying to work out how I can  :hug: and  :lol: at the same time!

(Whilst wearing a virus proof mask 'cos my flu jab might not work on your foreign bugs!)

Heheh. :grin:

Tank

Genius!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.