News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Another Mass Shooting

Started by Recusant, October 02, 2017, 06:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Florida has open carry permits for a handgun. In order to get the permit the applicant has to "go to school" to learn the rules. Part of the mandatory classes involve actual shooting at a pistol range. Many gun stores have indoor pistol ranges. The whole process is typically two hours and costs 40 dollars.   The process is reputed to involve a check up with a federal data base.  That is all well and good but it is much too easy to get a permit. Almost anyone, that does not have a felony record, can get the permit and carry his pistol openly in public.

I am pleased to say that there is seldom any sightings of a person actually packing heat.  Rifles are a different deal. You can buy a rifle with the only delay involving a simple check with a law enforcement agency.  Wal-Mart sells rifles and shotguns. So do many sporting goods stores. We have gun stores galore. They sell, you guessed it, guns of all descriptions. We also have pawn shops who can legally sell guns if they are licensed to do so. 

Gun shows are common weekend events. there will be two or three gun shows per year within 50 miles of wherever you might live. Gun show is an event held in civic centers and other public places.  They are scary places to visit if you are not one of the gun nuts, militia types, conspiracy theorists, or sometimes legitimate hunters. Those shows feature deadly weapons of all descriptions. Knives, machetes, poison dart blowguns, archery equipment, Books about how to kill, and other such lovely things.

The sum of all that is disturbing to those of us who are not savages.  Florida is not the worst of the states who are absurdly permissive.

Dave

^
That is part of the cultiral problem, Icarus. Just wondering if there are as many shops and shows for fishing? Doubt it, unless it's fishing using explosive devices.

It is soaked into the very nature of some people and, like cars, computers and cellphones, some start off small and cheap but eventually "need" something big and powerful. There was a good bit on this phenomenon on the radio last week, like the film "Supersize me", an American mass affliction that is spreading until a "regular" coffee comes in a small bucket instead of a cup.

And the lack of adequate control of the sale of semi-automatic weapons is appalling in my view. Even bolt or lever action magazine fed ones can still kill lots of people.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Icarus

Dave we have lots of water in Florida. A gazillion lakes and streams along with our many hundreds of miles of coastline.  We have places to fish. We also have a plenty of fishing tackle shops. I am happy to say there are more fishermen than shooters.  We have weekly fishing tournaments almost year round. Not my cup of tea but it is practically a regional craze. The real problem is that the fish are becoming progressively more sophisticated. They will not bite just any bait or lure.

Back to the gun subject. Here is a video with one of our lady comedians who is somewhat wildly political. Look at the last minute of the vid for the more imaginative punch lines https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqfHv7gOML0

Dave

Yeah, oops, forgot Florida was so wet!

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Dave on November 10, 2017, 08:18:16 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 10, 2017, 01:32:33 AM

Kind of sick, but to the point.

In a sense this is an extremely accurate portrayal of America and it's current stance on guns in this country. We have resigned ourselves to the fact that we value guns more than human life, and that this love affair with guns requires us to acknowledge that senseless violence by those possessing these murderous tools is simply a fact and a normal way of life here.

No different than living in an area prone to flooding or wildfires. If you live in those areas you prepare yourself and your home for just such a disaster, by making sure that your home has flood insurance, or by having material always at hand to cover your windows in case of a hurricane like many folks did down in Florida recently.

You know what else they are doing now in Florida?

A private school in Miami is offering parents bullet proof panels that will fit inside their children backpacks. Then the children can be trained during an active/live shooting situation to take cover behind their backpacks if necessary.
So not only do children in America practice what to do in case of a fire, or perhaps a tornado, but they are also receiving training on how to act and respond to some murderous fuck attacking them in their schools.

The folks on Fox said we need to as citizens of this Great Fucked Up Country learn how to be more cognizant of our surroundings, and be always alert for a shooting to take place.

One commentator said, "Hey, if you are in church make sure you are thinking of where you might duck and run if a shooting occurs while you are at mass."

Basically if you do get shot it's your own fault...victim blaming at it's highest and most vaulted level.

Anyway here's a link to the Florida
Backpack
story.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

^
Yes, bullet proof backpacks have been advertised for some time now. Can't find the advert now that showed a young girl squatting, hiding behind one. I have not done the math yet but I am guessing the impact energy of a decent sized bullt at shirt range would knock a squatting kid over. Or at least knock the pack out of their grasp.

Another symptom of the sickness.

Later: if I have my maths right I might be wrong, an AR15 bullet, at near muzzke velocity, has the same inpact energy as a baseball doing about 11mph. Still going to knock a board held by a youngster to one side unless held very squarely near the sides. Might save a couple of seconds if the shooter moves on to another target.

But still, as you say, the acceptance that such is necessary speaks loudly. Like saying smoking is OK because we can cure some cases. Bullet proof packs are a sticking plaster on a gaping wound.

Icarus

Bruno I take issue with what you said above. We damned sure have NOT resigned ourselves to the necessity for guns.  The vast majority of Americans, even including a majority of NRA members, believe that we should by all means have some form of gun ownership control.   

To all of you over there and elsewhere, please know that only a minority of our citizens are gun nuts.  I do agree that there are so many of the gun nut types that your impression of us has to be that all of us are fucked up in the head. Not so.  Only about one third of us are stupid. 

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Icarus on November 11, 2017, 02:27:52 AM
Bruno I take issue with what you said above. We damned sure have NOT resigned ourselves to the necessity for guns.  The vast majority of Americans, even including a majority of NRA members, believe that we should by all means have some form of gun ownership control.   

To all of you over there and elsewhere, please know that only a minority of our citizens are gun nuts.  I do agree that there are so many of the gun nut types that your impression of us has to be that all of us are fucked up in the head. Not so.  Only about one third of us are stupid.

Icarus,

Then why has nothing changed? Why do we have mass shootings on an almost weekly basis? Why when compared to 22 other high-income nations is the United States' gun-related murder rate 25 times higher? Why is it that even though the United States' suicide rate is similar to other countries, the nation's gun-related suicide rate is eight times higher than other high-income countries?
Why does the US, with half the population of the other 22 nations combined, account for 82 percent of all gun deaths. Why do 91% of children under 14 who die by gun violence live in the United States. Why are 92% of young people between ages 15 and 24 killed by guns here in the United States?

Why is it lawful here in the US for this freak from Colorado to be allowed to own over 200 machine guns, grenade launchers, and other assorted military grade weapons?  Meet one of the biggest Assholes in the USA

This is him in his bedroom.

Is this fucking normal? Why and how is this even legal?

Why are we teaching school children how to react to an active shooter in their schools, and supplying them with bullet-proof backpacks?
Why doesn't this happen in other countries?

Is it because they haven't resigned themselves to a love a guns over the sanctity of human life?

I know you want change Icarus, not saying you don't,...and not all Americans are gun nuts, but we as a country have moved past the point of no return and now we will continue to reap what we have sown.

Sad part is, this will only continue to get worse each year, with more and more shootings, and a lot more deaths.

Here in Dearborn the local American Legion is have a fund raising dinner on 12/02 for a three year-old boy who was shot by his brother by accident...he needs 24 hour care, because of this his mother can no longer work, but has to stay home and provide care for him...This. Is. The. New. Norm.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Father Bruno on November 16, 2017, 01:31:02 PM
Then why has nothing changed? Why do we have mass shootings on an almost weekly basis?

Because you are freer than us.
Life is bleak here, truly grim.
If only guns were more free.
It's about the cost of freedom
I am willing to pay the cost,
someone else's seven year old
It's a cost I'm willing to pay.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Biggus Dickus

Sandy Hook was five years ago TODAY. US Congress has still done nothing.

QuoteJOSEPHINE "JOEY" GAY should have celebrated her 12th birthday this week. She should have been surrounded by friends and family in a place festooned with purple, her favorite color.

Chase Kowalski should have been working toward a Boy Scout merit badge and training for a triathlon. Avielle Richman should have been where her parents said she was happiest, on a horse.

REST OF STORY HERE.

What else is there really to say about this utter, senseless, cruel, tragedy and the utter lack of accountability by our elected officials, and those who support them and their desire for more and more guns.

In one of the comments following the attached article someone posted the following, I remember hearing much the same at the time of this massacre.
QuoteThe morning of Sandy Hook, I was in the lobby of a business that could be described as catering to a blue collar crowd. As the horrible news unfolded, a man sitting across from me shook his head and said "Well, the gun control nuts will be all over this one." I was stunned into silence and had to get up and leave the room. Two dozen toddlers gunned down, and that was his first reaction. I fear any attempts at reasonable firearm laws are useless unless we can address a way of thinking that values gun ownership over life.

My heart goes out to the parents and family members of these poor, young children.

Dave

Yes, sick society rules -ok?