News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

ANU-led study solves mystery of how first animals appeared on Earth

Started by Tank, August 19, 2017, 10:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

ANU-led study solves mystery of how first animals appeared on Earth

Quote"Research led by ANU has solved the mystery of how the first animals appeared on Earth, a pivotal moment for the planet without which humans would not exist.

Lead researcher Associate Professor Jochen Brocks said the team found the answer in ancient sedimentary rocks from central Australia.

"We crushed these rocks to powder and extracted molecules of ancient organisms from them," said Dr Brocks from the ANU Research School of Earth Sciences.

"These molecules tell us that it really became interesting 650 million years ago. It was a revolution of ecosystems, it was the rise of algae."

The more we discover about 'Snowball Earth' the more it becomes evident it was a pivotal time in the evolutionary history of our planet.

Original article
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Dave

Thanks, Tank, an interesting theory - sort of backed up by other examples where an abundance and variety of food has led to greater diversity and species success.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Thank you, that is very interesting. The equipment they are using is very familiar to me - it is made by Agilent and is what I train people to use. In this type of work most of your time is spent doing data analysis in the software, since the actual running of the samples is automated. Most of my training covers the use of the software and interpretation of the results.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 20, 2017, 08:48:35 AM
Thank you, that is very interesting. The equipment they are using is very familiar to me - it is made by Agilent and is what I train people to use. In this type of work most of your time is spent doing data analysis in the software, since the actual running of the samples is automated. Most of my training covers the use of the software and interpretation of the results.
Well that's an interesting insight.

Dave

Ah, "the interpretation of the results" - the final potential hurdle in the process.

Tank

Quote from: Gloucester on August 20, 2017, 09:07:23 AM

Ah, "the interpretation of the results" - the final potential hurdle in the process.
Do you find their interpretation fallacious?

hermes2015

That is why I will always have a job, no matter how automated the routine operations become.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 20, 2017, 09:16:58 AM

That is why I will always have a job, no matter how automated the routine operations become.

Be careful, if the results are numerical some bugger will develop a "smart system", a pseudo-AI,  based on all those previous human decisions!

hermes2015

Quote from: Gloucester on August 20, 2017, 09:46:26 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on August 20, 2017, 09:16:58 AM

Be careful, if the results are numerical some bugger will develop a "smart system", a pseudo-AI,  based on all those previous human decisions!

No, the results are not purely numerical. The could include things like the identities of molecules and what classes of compounds they belong to. The numerical component could be the concentration of a certain compound in the substrate.
― Charles Eames