News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Hello From Washington State

Started by Voyager42, November 06, 2016, 02:25:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voyager42

I've been thinking about what to put into an introduction for the last day so lets see if I can get this right lol. My name is Justin and I am from Washington State. I grew up in the church and had plans to become a pastor. I always felt different though. I didn't seem to have the same experiences when going to the alter, never fainted (that's just so weird now), never heard god speak to me and I always had doubts that I tried to explain away. It took awhile but about 8 years ago I finally admitted to myself and my family that I was an atheist. The family was great about it. Various friends? Not so much. Lost a few but their loss. At least that's what people tell me.

I'm a huge baseball fan. Science/astronomy nerd. I love playing video games and hanging out with my dog, who is my best friend. He's great.

So enough about me. I hate starting so many sentences with 'I'. It just feels weird lol.

Magdalena

Hello, Voyager42, welcome!  :computerwave:

Washington State is a beautiful state.  :tellmemore: I lived there for about 6 years.

~I hope you stay with us, here, for a long time.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Voyager42

Quote from: Magdalena on November 06, 2016, 03:38:50 AM

Washington State is a beautiful state.  :tellmemore: I lived there for about 6 years.

It really is. I can't imagine living anywhere other than here. Maybe not this small town but the state....not sure I could leave lol.

Magdalena

Quote from: Voyager42 on November 06, 2016, 03:45:18 AM

It really is. I can't imagine living anywhere other than here. Maybe not this small town but the state....not sure I could leave lol.

You live in a "small town?"
Aren't they all?  :snicker:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Icarus

Welcome to our happy place Voyager. Let us hope that it can also be your happy place too.

Voyager42

Quote from: Magdalena on November 06, 2016, 03:52:10 AM
Quote from: Voyager42 on November 06, 2016, 03:45:18 AM

You live in a "small town?"
Aren't they all?  :snicker:

lol true. We have about 35,000. Its larger than some of the towns around here but seems to have a more small town feel than most. Or maybe its cause I grew up here and know way too many people.

Tank

Hi Justine

I have no idea why your account was initially rejected. I'm glad you persevered and sent me an email so I could create you account. I assume you've changed the password I sent you?

Looking forward to you settling in.

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Welcome, Justin :D
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Hi and welcome to the forum, Justin :wave hi:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dragonia

Welcome to this lovely fun place! Its funny that you mention wanting to be a pastor at one time. When I was young, probably from about 10-15 years old, I felt destined to be a pastor's wife.
I couldn't have married anyone farther from a pastor than my husband!
I also love WA and don't blame you for never wanting to leave.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

OldGit

Greetings and welcome, Justin!  You'll find some interesting stuff here and also have a lot of fun, I trust.

Recusant

Quote from: Voyager42 on November 06, 2016, 02:25:42 AM
I've been thinking about what to put into an introduction for the last day so lets see if I can get this right lol. My name is Justin and I am from Washington State. I grew up in the church and had plans to become a pastor. I always felt different though. I didn't seem to have the same experiences when going to the alter, never fainted (that's just so weird now), never heard god speak to me and I always had doubts that I tried to explain away. It took awhile but about 8 years ago I finally admitted to myself and my family that I was an atheist. The family was great about it. Various friends? Not so much. Lost a few but their loss. At least that's what people tell me.

I'm a huge baseball fan. Science/astronomy nerd. I love playing video games and hanging out with my dog, who is my best friend. He's great.

So enough about me. I hate starting so many sentences with 'I'. It just feels weird lol.

Hello and welcome to HAF, Voyager42. It's really good to hear that your family didn't over-react to your loss of faith. That speaks well of them. Coming from Washington, I'm guessing that you're a Mariners fan. Is that the case? What are your thoughts on the recent World Series?

Below are some threads that may help you familiarize yourself with this site.

Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
How to tell your family you are an atheist
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler

. . . And of course, the Forum Rules.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here!  :welcome:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Essie Mae

Hello Voyager42. You've fetched up at a good place for astronomy/science - you can learn a lot here. I live a few miles north of London, UK.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Voyager42

Thank you for the amazing welcome. Its been a rough couple weeks (this election is really taking a toll on me) so I have been a hermit lately lol.