News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Re: United States and Torture

Started by Icarus, December 14, 2014, 12:16:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I don't think I agree with the 'eye for an eye' approach, besides being barbaric it just perpetuates violence, rather than lessen it.

Who would be responsible for retribution? The State or the people involved?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

Well, humans are violent, malevolent, awful creatures. That being said, if someone were to hurt a person i truly cared about, and i was granted the opportunity to suck the life from them ounce by ounce, inch by painful inch, i would most certainly revel in its glory. No questions asked!

xSilverPhinx

Yes, humans certainly have that potential, but not all are, most of the time.

If you were to do that to somebody, someone who loves them could think the same about you. It just perpetuates violence. 

No one

Human beings suck! They are without a doubt, the most awful creature on the planet. Nothing even comes close. You are probably right in your assumption that someone might think that of me, but i couldn't care less. I am all out of fucks to give in that department! I wouldn't go out to harm someone just because i could. But in the defense of someone special to me, i would stop at nothing to ensure that no harm would come to them.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: No one on February 03, 2017, 11:31:02 PM
Human beings suck! They are without a doubt, the most awful creature on the planet. Nothing even comes close. You are probably right in your assumption that someone might think that of me, but i couldn't care less. I am all out of fucks to give in that department! I wouldn't go out to harm someone just because i could.

Some human beings are great. :love: Others are despicable lowlifes...I've run into quite a few myself. 

QuoteBut in the defense of someone special to me, i would stop at nothing to ensure that no harm would come to them.

Ok, that's perfectly natural, but in a world where the cycle of violence is perpetuated then the odds of harm coming to your loved ones is increased, not the contrary.

No one

Persons are, well at least can be, great. Humans, on the hand, are despicable, deplorable, utterly detestable creatures. Hence, my absolute hatred for them!

xSilverPhinx

If you don't mind my saying so, I find your use of language interesting. You use 'them' instead of 'us', as if you want to distance yourself from the species. I'm a little surprised, to be honest.

Recusant

A new article from The Guardian reports on some of the revelations about a CIA operated torture facility in Afghanistan that came out in the discovery process of a recent lawsuit against CIA contracted psychologists who came up with the "enhanced interrogation" techniques used by the CIA. The psychologists' lawyers decided that it would be best to settle out of court.

"Inside the CIA's black site torture room" | The Guardian

QuoteThere were twenty cells inside the prison, each a stand-alone concrete box. In sixteen, prisoners were shackled to a metal ring in the wall. In four, designed for sleep deprivation, they stood chained by the wrists to an overhead bar. Those in the regular cells had a plastic bucket; those in sleep deprivation wore diapers. When diapers weren't available, guards crafted substitutes with duct tape, or prisoners were chained naked in their cells. The cellblock was unheated, pitch black day and night, with music blaring around the clock.

"The atmosphere was very good," John "Bruce" Jessen told a CIA investigator in January 2003, two months after he interrogated a prisoner named Gul Rahman in the facility. "Nasty, but safe."

Jessen, one of the two contract psychologists who designed the CIA's "enhanced interrogation techniques", spent 10 days in the secret prison near Kabul, Afghanistan, in November 2002. Five days after he left, Rahman, naked from the waist down and shackled to the cold concrete floor, was discovered dead in his cell from hypothermia.

In August, Gul Rahman's family and Mohamed Ben Soud and Suleiman Abdullah Salim, two surviving prisoners of the Afghan black site, reached an out-of-court settlement in their lawsuit against Jessen and James Mitchell seeking restitution for torture.

[Continues . . .]

Not very pleasant reading.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken