News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Family problems involving 'freeloader', 'bitch' and 'junkie', all in one!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

Silver, would you care to elucidate? Or would you rather just stew about it.....

In either case we are collectively on your side. whatever the event.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on October 03, 2017, 01:39:15 AM
Silver, would you care to elucidate? Or would you rather just stew about it.....

In either case we are collectively on your side. whatever the event.

Someone in my immediate family is addicted to prescription drugs and whenever she's going through withdrawal she becomes a bitch. Worst part is, she's drains everyone who comes into contact with her and has made a parasitic host out of another family member, who is in denial that there's something seriously wrong about the parasite.

*deep breath*

Basically that.

Icarus

^ Bummer !     

I have known people who were trying to kick the cigarette habit.  Nicotine withdrawal is a frequent maker of bitchy behavior. I would expect drug withdrawal to be the same deal......nicotine is a drug too. 

I confess I am talking about myself. I was a smoker for 60 years and one day I ran out of cigs. Too late in the day to go to the store for another pack of poison. The next day I began to think of the cost in dollars as well as my ability to breathe.  I did not buy cigarettes that day, or the next day or the one after that. I have not had a cancer stick in 18 months but I still want a nicotine fix.  I am pleased to say that it is no longer a freak out, as it once was.

It is possible to kick debilitating habits if the motivation is sufficient and the moon and stars are in the right phase..  Example: Our Father Bruno, to his credit,  has been off  the booze for a long time now. 

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on October 03, 2017, 09:48:25 PM
^ Bummer !     

I have known people who were trying to kick the cigarette habit.  Nicotine withdrawal is a frequent maker of bitchy behavior. I would expect drug withdrawal to be the same deal......nicotine is a drug too. 

I confess I am talking about myself. I was a smoker for 60 years and one day I ran out of cigs. Too late in the day to go to the store for another pack of poison. The next day I began to think of the cost in dollars as well as my ability to breathe.  I did not buy cigarettes that day, or the next day or the one after that. I have not had a cancer stick in 18 months but I still want a nicotine fix.  I am pleased to say that it is no longer a freak out, as it once was.

It is possible to kick debilitating habits if the motivation is sufficient and the moon and stars are in the right phase..  Example: Our Father Bruno, to his credit,  has been off  the booze for a long time now.

Took a near fstal heart attack to stop me smoking, I was too busy staying alive to think about withdrawal symtoms. Oh, and being dtuffed with morhine (that caused its own problems!) posdibky helped.

But, having known an alcoholic, Silver, (even if not family) I know of the mood swings, "promisses", pleading etc, etc. that addiction can bring.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Yes, addiction is a terrible thing. A substance basically hijacks the brain's reward system and rewires circuits to make the person crave and need that substance.

The person I'm talking about is also addicted to nicotine and alcohol, so there's definitely a tendency there. She also self-medicates and got hooked on Ritalin.

(nicotine and alcohol intake can maybe be seen as a form of self-medication? :notsure:)

No one

Some people drink to drown their sorrows. Unbeknownst to most though, sorrow is a world class swimmer.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: No one on October 04, 2017, 05:16:29 AM
Some people drink to drown their sorrows. Unbeknownst to most though, sorrow is a world class swimmer.

The higher the alcohol the lower the density,
the harder for that sorrowful fucker to float.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Ecurb Noselrub

You can just drink to alter your mental state a bit, to make things more palatable.  The key is being able to stop at the right place.

Biggus Dickus

Couple weeks ago I drove down to Tennessee and Georgia from Michigan for a vacation, and yesterday when I got home I found an envelope addressed to me from the Toledo, Ohio Police Department.

At first I figured my son had driven his car down to Toledo some weekend evening and got himself a parking ticket...car is still in my name, and he has a habit of parking in spots that he's not supposed to, or ignoring the parking meters. (Toledo is less than an hour from the Detroit area, anyway he's promised to pay me back for all his previous tickets  ::))

However. He didn't get a parking ticket, I ended up with a $120.00 speeding ticket. I was never pulled over, they simply took a couple pictures of the rear end of my car to include my license plate, and said I was speeding through a construction zone.

I kinda feel like this is bullshit, I mean...I don't know if I was speeding at that point, sure I went over the speed limit plenty of times, but how do we know at that very point I was actually speeding?

I can fight it, but I'd have to drive down to fucking Toledo (Sorry for the bad language Sister Snowflake >:() in order to do so, obviously it's much easier to just mail them the $120.00, plus I don't know how I would fight it...just seems like they could start taking random pictures of cars, run the plates and mail off tickets whether people are speeding or not.

It's kind of Orwellian. We were promised flying cars in the future, and sex robots. Not mail order speeding tickets. :P
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

jumbojak

Fight it. Show up in your finest overcoat, scarf, and fedora (I don't care how hot it is) and give em what for.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Father Bruno on October 07, 2017, 10:34:26 PM
Couple weeks ago I drove down to Tennessee and Georgia from Michigan for a vacation, and yesterday when I got home I found an envelope addressed to me from the Toledo, Ohio Police Department.

At first I figured my son had driven his car down to Toledo some weekend evening and got himself a parking ticket...car is still in my name, and he has a habit of parking in spots that he's not supposed to, or ignoring the parking meters. (Toledo is less than an hour from the Detroit area, anyway he's promised to pay me back for all his previous tickets  ::))

However. He didn't get a parking ticket, I ended up with a $120.00 speeding ticket. I was never pulled over, they simply took a couple pictures of the rear end of my car to include my license plate, and said I was speeding through a construction zone.

I kinda feel like this is bullshit, I mean...I don't know if I was speeding at that point, sure I went over the speed limit plenty of times, but how do we know at that very point I was actually speeding?

I can fight it, but I'd have to drive down to fucking Toledo (Sorry for the bad language Sister Snowflake >:() in order to do so, obviously it's much easier to just mail them the $120.00, plus I don't know how I would fight it...just seems like they could start taking random pictures of cars, run the plates and mail off tickets whether people are speeding or not.

It's kind of Orwellian. We were promised flying cars in the future, and sex robots. Not mail order speeding tickets. :P

That sucks.

That's how they do it here, a photo of your licence plate along with a location you were photographed speeding arrives by mail about a month after the fact. Who on earth even remembers how fast they were going at that point so far back in time?

They could be lying and randomly taking pictures of plates, pulling some number over the speed limit out of their asses and in the end it'll be your word against theirs...and yours is worth much, much less than theirs. Not only that, but in Brazil you're guilty until you prove your innocence so you would have to somehow prove that you weren't doing 65km/h on a 60km/hr lane.  ::)

:Gaah:

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 08, 2017, 05:12:16 PM
Quote from: Father Bruno on October 07, 2017, 10:34:26 PM

That sucks.

That's how they do it here, a photo of your licence plate along with a location you were photographed speeding arrives by mail about a month after the fact. Who on earth even remembers how fast they were going at that point so far back in time?

They could be lying and randomly taking pictures of plates, pulling some number over the speed limit out of their asses and in the end it'll be your word against theirs...and yours is worth much, much less than theirs. Not only that, but in Brazil you're guilty until you prove your innocence so you would have to somehow prove that you weren't doing 65km/h on a 60km/hr lane.  ::)

:Gaah:

I was once told, by an American, that since local sherrifs have to compete for both votes and funds they sre in a quandry. The fines go into their funding pot but they don't want to antagonise the locals. Any vehicle with an out of state plate is fair game though!

Icarus

Dave we have an occasional renegade sheriff or police chief who orders his cops to issue traffic tickets. Those guys do not last long because of the hue and cry of the general public.  Many many moons ago I was busted by such a backwoods scam. My congressman and local newspaper were contacted by irate an motorist; Me.  That episode and some others like it gained some attention.  The practice ceased soon after.

Our latest controversy is about red light cameras. If a motorist runs a red light the camera will record the offense and a fine is issued against the offender.  That is not a scheme to raise money on the face of it. BUT.....the cameras are installed and owned by a big company. The company gets a big chunk of the revenue that is generated. Clearly a profit making proposition.  On the other hand it does discourage red light offenders and just might help avoid some collisions. Another BUT.  Now that the public is aware of the cameras, there are more rear end collisions than before.  Drivers will slam on the brakes as soon as they see the yellow light come on. Cars behind the panic braking driver smash into the back of the paranoid drivers car.  The red light cameras may cause more collisions that they prevent.

We have privately owned toll roads. There are toll booths at various intervals.  There are lanes where the toll is paid in cash and also lanes where you can drive through without stopping. You may pass through if your car is equipped with an electronic device that records your trip through the toll booth. You, as a subscriber, are billed on a monthly basis for the times that you use the electronic "pass".

The toll roads are often convenient and will save time enough to be worth using the road.  On the other hand there are what I think of as felony toll roads.  For example: If I want to go to the Orlando International airport, one of the busiest airports in the country, I have to use toll roads to get there. and toll roads to leave there.  I live about 45 miles from that airport and a round trip by car will cost about nine dollars in tolls.  It is possible to get to the airport "the hard way" which involves going around the toll roads. That trip would force us to travel perhaps 90 miles, around the horn so to speak.  I pay the nine dollars and grumble about it.

When Father Bruno drove from the Detroit area to the Fort Benning Georgia area it will have been about 800 miles as the crow flies. He had to drive through some remote rural areas where the hillbilly cops are likely to hold forth. Fortunately, Interstate highway 75  and then then 85 will get him to where he is going. The interstate system is patrolled by the state police for the most part.  They are generally held to a higher standard than the small town constabulary.  The potential for an encounter from local cops is when you get off the interstate highway, in some town or other,  to get food, gasoline (petrol), or to go potty.

Dave

^
Yes, should have used a whistling emoji! We were watching a road movie where the guy from the big city was getting hassled by the coos in a dmall town - they ran up about six offences I think. Then 50 miles down the road he got hit by another town's cops for the same offences - the implication being force one phoned ahead, "Hey, Fred, there's an out of state sucker heading your way, we hit him with . . ."

OK, it was a movie and I thought exagerated but my friend seemed adamant that it could happen.

Thank goodness we don't have that sort of local law enforcement structure over here. If anything the county constabularies are amalgamating to cut costs and most of the procedural rules and protocols are national. Even if a London cop has no "normal" authority in, say, Yorkshire; only those the regional force agree to allow and the standard citizen's right to make an arreet.

Also reduces the chance of turf wars, as in Spain where, it seems, the local and national police may have different agendas.