News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

What do you expect/want from the staff of the forum?

Started by Tank, May 01, 2012, 01:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on May 01, 2012, 03:25:25 PM
One thing we could do, however, is maybe start a "complaints" forum? One of the other forums I used to frequent had one. That way if anyone has an issue with a particular case of moderation or rule enforcement, they could take it to the forum and there'd be a designated spot to discuss their grievances without cluttering up the rest of the threads. Just an idea.
I am active on forums that have dedicated discussion areas like that. On here one could use the Forum Suggestions area for just that purpose. I think we are (all the membership and staff) are mature enough to do that.

Personally I think it's much better to deal with that sort of issue via PM. On a big forum a public complaints area can generate a serious 'us and them' divide between the members and staff. Once battle lines are drawn all hell breaks lose. That's one of the things that contributed to the downfall of Richard Dawkins original forum.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Tank on May 01, 2012, 04:22:37 PM
Personally I think it's much better to deal with that sort of issue via PM. On a big forum a public complaints area can generate a serious 'us and them' divide between the members and staff. Once battle lines are drawn all hell breaks lose. That's one of the things that contributed to the downfall of Richard Dawkins original forum.

That's a good point. In a lot of other places the mod team does tend to get vilified by at least some of the members.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Ali

Well, all in all I think that you guys do a lovely job.  I agree that the level of personal interaction that the mods bring to the forum is a wonderful addition and makes this forum a cuddly warm place to be.  I definitely consider this to be my "home" on the internet.   ;D

En_Route

You do an excellent job, not least in ensuring new members are swiftly made to feel at home.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Ali on May 01, 2012, 02:21:22 PM
I think you guys do a great job.  The only rule I'm confused about is the "no preaching" rule.  I get it in theory, but I think that it also tends to squash any sort of debate we might have with theists (sometimes fun to debate with people who disagree) because if they go back to "well the bible says..." that typically gets called out as preaching.  But realistically, if a theist is going to defend a religious position, it's hard to do so without "preaching."  

On the other hand, I think that as a mod it's your job to uphold the rules that admin (Whitney) has set for her site, so since "No preaching" is a rule, you're right to uphold it.

Anyway, I think I'm rambling.  I think you all do a fine job.

I agree with this.

Not to mention the "preaching" rule is why Egor hates us.  ;D

Other than that, I think the mods here to a great job and that issue is more a problem I have with the rules and the moderators doing a poor job.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

hismikeness

What do I want from the moderating team? How about secret allegiances and deception!

In all seriousness, perhaps the mark of good modding is when it makes itself known when necessary and is otherwise inconspicuous. I like the red font for serious messages, and the consistency with which the rules are upheld. Bravo.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Siz

I think you all balance the mod/interaction equation well. It really does give the place a homely feel to have our hosts serving tea and biccies at regular intervals by way of your personal input.

However, reluctant as I am to highlight fault among all the good stuff you do, you did ask...

The reason I'll mark you one asterisk-point short of an A* is because I've been slapped with the red pen of shame on a couple of occasions (by different mods) seemingly for holding a disagreeable political view.
Now, I know I'm probably slightly right-of-centre, which makes me look like Hitler compared to some of you guys, and I do feel like my politics are being moderated. I've always understood your reasons for employing the red pen - I accept that the forum is your baby and you're trying to take it in a certain direction, which is why I've held my tongue (and whilst being a guest in your house I'll heed the red pen) - but I don't wholly accept that political partiality is within the remit of the Mod. On each occasion a slap from a Mod with their 'members' hat on would have been more appropriate. If it's a personal view it should be expressed as such.

I do believe this place can benefit from some balance to the often nauseating and sterile leftism that prevails. I accept that I'm a little isolated on this issue, but I'm still a Happy Atheist, an I do love it here!

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

ThinkAnarchy

^^^ Are you sure it's because of your political lean? My views are considered extreme by most, and the only times I've been moderated is when someone really pissed me off and I've insulted them. I just find it hard to believe that the token anarchist wouldn't have experienced this kind of treatment if it were occurring. That is all.

Than again, on many issues, my views parallel those of liberals.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Tank

^^^ Interesting points Siz. I am disappointed you feel that way. I would hope political opinions stated in an impersonal manner should not cause problems.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ali

Quote from: Scissorlegs on May 01, 2012, 09:20:07 PM
the often nauseating and sterile leftism that prevails.

If I recall, it was stuff like this that got you modded more so than your disagreement with lefty ideals.  Calling someone's ideology "nauseating" is kind of rude, tbh. 

xSilverPhinx

Pftt. Everybody knows that the 'no preaching' rule is there so we can persecute the ones who do ;)

Anyways, I have no complaints about the mods, I don't think I've ever seen a forum that was so well moderated in fact. ???

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Siz

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on May 01, 2012, 09:27:18 PM
^^^ Are you sure it's because of your political lean? My views are considered extreme by most, and the only times I've been moderated is when someone really pissed me off and I've insulted them. I just find it hard to believe that the token anarchist wouldn't have experienced this kind of treatment if it were occurring. That is all.

Than again, on many issues, my views parallel those of liberals.

It appears that Conservatism is more abhorrent than Anarchism :D

I have to admit that in both instances dramatic language was used to make a point which was seen as 'generally' (but not personally) insulting. I may have been overzealous with the language, but the whole point of my posts IS inherently insulting to some. I'm trying to highlight the necessity of facing harsh truths when trying fix a problem. That's my opinion informed from a pragmatic political ideal. I cannot apologise for that.

But it's really not a big issue in the grander scheme of the forum. I'm more moderated by peer pressure than the red pen. You bleeding-heart liberals never fail to shout me down when I suggest something that, while directly addressing a given problem, steps on someone's toes.
I'm trying to make an omlete, and noone is prepared to forego the eggs.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Ali

Quote from: Scissorlegs on May 01, 2012, 10:55:13 PM
You bleeding-heart liberals never fail to shout me down when I suggest something that, while directly addressing a given problem, steps on someone's toes.

rrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Sorry, I'm in a very silly mood at the moment.  Probably all of the blood lost from my heart... ;D ;D ;D

In fairness Scissorlegs, I actually like that you have a dissenting opinion on a lot of things.  Sitting around agreeing with people gets boring after a while.  It's just that you don't always make it clear that you respect your opponents' clearly superior opinions and arguments....*smirk* ;D

Siz

Quote from: Ali on May 01, 2012, 10:59:11 PM
Quote from: Scissorlegs on May 01, 2012, 10:55:13 PM
You bleeding-heart liberals never fail to shout me down when I suggest something that, while directly addressing a given problem, steps on someone's toes.

rrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Sorry, I'm in a very silly mood at the moment.  Probably all of the blood lost from my heart... ;D ;D ;D

In fairness Scissorlegs, I actually like that you have a dissenting opinion on a lot of things.  Sitting around agreeing with people gets boring after a while.  It's just that you don't always make it clear that you respect your opponents' clearly superior opinions and arguments....*smirk* ;D
Well, you haven't left me with much room for an insult there, so I'll come back with my favourite, unchallengable playground riposte: "No, you are!"

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Scissorlegs on May 01, 2012, 10:55:13 PMYou bleeding-heart liberals never fail to shout me down when I suggest something that, while directly addressing a given problem, steps on someone's toes.

Don't worry about your suggestions stepping on our lefty toes, your arguments have no weight so we hardly notice.  ;D ;) :) :-*