Main Menu

Are you British enough?

Started by Crow, February 21, 2012, 01:49:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siz

42% British,
35% Canadian
Guess I'm not welcome anywhere.

Still, it's nice to know that idiots like me aren't being let into the country!

+1 for the BBC. One of the few value-for-money taxes in this country.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Too Few Lions

12/24 not great given I'm British! Stiill, most of the questions weren't about anything I'm interested in.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Tank on February 21, 2012, 08:42:42 AM
38% British  >:( Fucking stupid test!
50% Canadian!  :D

one of us! one of us!

I was also totally baffled by the "Television License" question. WTH!
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Siz

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on February 21, 2012, 12:24:40 PM
Quote from: Tank on February 21, 2012, 08:42:42 AM
38% British  >:( Fucking stupid test!
50% Canadian!  :D

one of us! one of us!

I was also totally baffled by the "Television License" question. WTH!

Ahh, the joys of TV and Radio without adverts...
[smug sigh]

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Ali

Haha, I knew about the television license because I love The Young Ones and there is an episode where Vyvyan eats the "telly" because they haven't got a license and the television inspector was there (are there really television inspectors?)  Hahahahahahahaha, he was all "It's a toaster." when she asked if he had eaten the "telly" because he had a cord hanging out of his mouth.

I love that show.

I think my love of British shows from the 80's should automatically add a couple of points to my "Are you British enough" score.

Willow

Siz

Quote from: Ali on February 21, 2012, 02:19:01 PM
Haha, I knew about the television license because I love The Young Ones and there is an episode where Vyvyan eats the "telly" because they haven't got a license and the television inspector was there (are there really television inspectors?

There sure are. Basically they have records of everyone who has a TV license (which should be +/- every household, right?!). They then systematically send lots of threatening letters to the errant addresses and follow them up (eventually) with personal visits. Of course, unless you actually let them in (which you're within your rights to refuse) and SEE your TV there's not a lot they can do to prove you need a license. It seems fairly easy to avoid paying it, but if you are caught (e.g by having the TV visible from a front window) it's a big fine. Not really worth the worry really.

We have 100ish channels at home and we end up on BBC for 90% of our viewing time.

Ali

Or you could just eat your telly when the inspector shows up.

Whitney

Crow

Quote from: Tank on February 21, 2012, 08:51:22 AM
Over the years the science and natural history output has almost been worth the license fee all on it's own.

Totally agree. I cant even really think of any good science shows that weren't funded by the BBC, with the only exception I can think of being the Japanese program SCIENCE ZERO.
Retired member.

En_Route

Being Irish, I deliberately got all the answers wrong.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Reprobate

38% Bitish and 70% Canadian. It helps that a lot of the Canadian questions are closely related to US history. Do I get bonus points for speaking French?  :D

Tank

Quote from: Crow on February 21, 2012, 07:53:02 PM
Quote from: Tank on February 21, 2012, 08:51:22 AM
Over the years the science and natural history output has almost been worth the license fee all on it's own.

Totally agree. I cant even really think of any good science shows that weren't funded by the BBC, with the only exception I can think of being the Japanese program SCIENCE ZERO.
Anglia television "Survival" is the only one that comes to mind.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding

I still have to get around to watching The Ascent of Man again, Bronowski is such a cool character.

Guardian85

9/24.
But norwegians don't move to England. When we go there it is to plunder and pillage!   ;D

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-