News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Mathematics--A proposition

Started by Wessik, January 17, 2012, 08:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wessik

I don't necessarily believe this is the best place to put this thread. It is, however, technically apropriate, though it doesn't discuss any scientific breakthroughs, which I can only assume is the purpose of the science forum.(Correct me if I am wrong, though.)

I have been interested in the symbols of mathematical arithmatic and algebra for quite some time, and have developed a set of notation that I believe to be, if not groundbreaking, interesting to toy around with. The main function/symbol of which this system revolves is the symbol ":", which is used to express ratios. This symbol replaces the traditional equivalency symbol "=".

So, for example, the notation "1:1" serves several purposes. It may be read as "1 compared with 1". Naturally, since the two symbols are equivalent, such equivalency is implied. The notation "1:2" describes a fractional ration, of course, to be read as "1 part out of 2". And the notation, "2:1" is equivalent to the number 2. Now, because "2:1" may simply be read as "2", the added notation of ":1" serves the purpose of denoting a final result or a QED, to be attached to the end of expressions.

It is interesting to note, however, that multiple relational operators(:) may be used in the same expression. So, for example: 4:3:2 may be read as "(4 divided by 3) parts out of 2". This expression can not be simplified further, but there is no need, as the decimal system is never used in this notation. An alternative expression: 8:2:2 may be simplified to: (8:2:2):2, this ration is equivalent to 1:1, but it need not be expressed directly, as the 1:1 ratio is reserved to signify the end result of a proposition.

So division is simply expressed through ratios. hold on. My computer is acting up, and I will need to make another post to continue.
I have my own blog! redkarp.blogspot.com!

Wessik

Multiplication is expressed through the parenthesis operator, which serves to separate factors from each other, like so: 2(2):4:1. Note, that 2(2):8 is not a false proposition, but rather simply creates a new ratio, which can be simplified like so: (2(2):8):(4:8):(2:4):1 This proposition is equivalent to a ratio of 1:1:1:1, but since this is an infinite series, it need not be expressed, except under special circumstances(for example, to express infinite series to a degree of "3" limit: 1:1(3)).

Now then, exponents are indicated with the bracket operator: [], under similiar rules.

It should be noted that addition and subtraction are not indicated in this notation, as their forms are contrary to the purpose of the notation, which can be very useful in determining relationships and factorial roots. In theory, every natural number can be expressed with a combination of multiplications, exponents, and ratios.

Next I will introduce what I call "units", which are an extremely powerful aspect of the notation with regards to algebra. I'm sorry about the  double post, however.

Stevil

Why not dots "." rather than brackets "("
e.g. 3.4:6:2:1

Wessik

Intriguing Idea!

Will post more later.