News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

'Troll' is jailed for 18 weeks in the UK.

Started by Tank, September 13, 2011, 07:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Reading man jailed for dead girl 'trolling' insults

QuoteA Berkshire man has been jailed for posting abusive messages online about a schoolgirl after she committed suicide.

Sean Duffy, 25, of Reading, was handed an 18-week sentence for posts on social networking sites about Worcestershire teenager Natasha MacBryde.

He previously pleaded guilty at Reading Magistrates' Court to sending indecent or offensive communications.

Police said Duffy also posted abuse about dead teenagers in Northumberland, Gloucestershire and Staffordshire.

Duffy, of Grovelands Road, admitted two offences of "trolling" a term used to describe the trend of anonymously seeking to provoke outrage by posting insults and abuse online...

In the UK the Malicious Communications act 2003 applies.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

I hope that he learns something from this, and that other assholes will think twice before emulating him. On the other hand, he may have got his wish, in that he received plenty of attention for his efforts. At the risk of putting myself near his level, I'm just gong to go ahead and say that he does resemble some images of trolls that I've seen. *shrugs*
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Recusant on September 14, 2011, 05:59:21 AM
At the risk of putting myself near his level, I'm just gong to go ahead and say that he does resemble some images of trolls that I've seen. *shrugs*

I was thinking exactly the same thing.  I couldn't imagine how a 25 yr old could possibly have so little self-respect that he'd indulge in something so low, and then I saw his picture and thought "never mind".  There's a reason stereotypes exist.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

DeterminedJuliet

I think this is a good thing. I'm all for free speech, but I've never really liked how the internet has traditionally given jerks cart blache for assholery.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Asmodean

Someone ought to make a demotivator out of it.  ;D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.