News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Tell us A Bit About Where You're From

Started by xSilverPhinx, September 05, 2011, 09:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I'm from Brasília, which is the small planned Capital of Brazil, a symbol of modern architecture, is classified as a World Heritage (Unesco) and really pisses some people off.  8)
Especially those that feel a bit small in comparision, such as the southerners here, who live close to Argentina.  :-X

A plane's layout.

It's close to impossible to go past the National Theatre and not want to climb those protruding blocks.

A cathedral.

The National Museum.

A shopping center.

The sphere facing down represents the Senate and the one facing up, the Chamber.

One of the architects who designed Brasília (who is still alive in fact) was an outspoken communist, and the city reflects that. Residential blocks of the same type look the same, from the South Wing  to the North Wing. Ironically, where the building above and Ministries are located contains a communist message, or so a student of architecture once told me.  

Something about the grassy area representing a table, with the towers (power) on one end and the popular bus station (which is not in the photo) on the opposite end. Those buildings in between are Ministries. The Cathedral would be a chalice turned upseide down and the bells next to it (which is not in the photo) would be a fork.

Looks a bit like one of those Masonry conspiracy theory type explanations, but the guy studied in a serious univeristy and based his arguments on art criticism and interpretation.    
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Well I live on the East side of Leeds, West Yorkshire.

My house is in this picture.

In the picture below the blue line is my typical dog walking circuit.
The yellow spot is where I will sit and have a cigar when the weather is nice and the dogs get to run around.
The red rectangle is Temple Newsam House.

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Xjeepguy

This is pretty much the whole town I live in. It's kinda hard to see the mountainous terrain from the overhead view, but I am in the middle of nowhere. Good ole Sissonville WV.

If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg

DeterminedJuliet

I just moved to Ottawa, but I'm from Newfoundland. It's a fairly remote place, with terrible weather, but I loved it there and I hope we move back there some day. *sighs with home-sickness*

This is an area called "The Tablelands" in Gros Morne national park. I went hiking there a few years ago, and it feels like you're walking on the surface of mars.

Our provincial flower is the "Pitcher Plant". Fun fact: it's carnivorous! (I also happen to have a tattoo of one of these plants on my foot :D)  

I could talk about Newfoundland all day  :P
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on September 06, 2011, 02:15:57 AM
I just moved to Ottawa, but I'm from Newfoundland. It's a fairly remote place, with terrible weather, but I loved it there and I hope we move back there some day. *sighs with home-sickness*

I can see why!  I don't think I've ever seen such gorgeous scenery in my life.  This is a shot of downtown Long Beach, CA:

I used to have a beautiful photo of the beach close to me, taken at sunset and covered in a golden glow but I can't find it now.  I think LB's only real claim to fame is the energy we put into attracting tourists.  We have a Gran Prix, a Pride Parade that I think is considered the 3rd most popular in the States, and a Blues and Jazz Festival that's picking up a lot of momentum.  We also have a lot of smaller festivals that don't get the international attention of the other three, and at one time had a Carnevale but that sank out of sight some years ago.  Would have thought that would be more popular.

Something that isn't generally known, but often creates interest for us insiders, is that we also have unusually high numbers of both Southern Baptists and GLBT residents (in fact, the city's nickname is San Francisco South but that's not in the city hall brochure).  At one time the Baptists used to have a Family Pride Parade in an attempt to offer a godly alternative to Gay Pride, but that only lasted a few years.  It's hard to compete with Dykes on Bikes.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

OldGit

Here's a Google Earth shot of the little village where I have lived for the last 15 years.  It's between Hereford and Leominster; we're about 15 miles east of the Welsh border, although many government organisations, utilities etc seem to believe we're Welsh!

The Magic Pudding

Well I assume you all know the story of the troublesome American colonists and their ungrateful rejection of the empire.  This caused a problem for the Brits as to what to do with the criminal class.  So they scoured the world for the most benighted hell hole they could find and sent their crooks there as an admonitory lesson to all.

Sydney served this purpose but after a couple of decades a new place was needed within NSW to dump irredeemable re-offenders, so in 1821 Port Macquarie was established.

Most of the attractions are natural, there is a koala hospital, McDonalds, Kentucky Fried Chicken and all the usual crap.  Something I like is that building isn't allowed too close to beaches, you don't have to ask permission to paddle down rivers either.  There's some remnant literal rainforest with some interesting wildlife.  Platypus can be found in nearby freshwater rivers, I haven't seen any wombats around but there's the occasional echidna.  Wallabies and kangaroos are extremely common.  Some nature reserves and national parks are close, others are a bit further away.

This is a thread about a day trip I made in January.

This is the country an hour inland where the Hastings River comes out of the hills.

Two pics of the river meeting the sea at Port Macquarie.

Town beaches, there are long unbroken beaches to the north and south.

Tank

You deserve all the poisionous stingy thingies to balance out the karma of such beauty  >:(

Gawen

Where I live is boring, small town, southwest, conservative and religious Americana. There is nothing of interest here.
There are no good photo shoots.
No industry.
No lakes or rivers.
No architecture.  
Lower than average crime rate. 75 registered sex offenders.
No hospital and two nursing homes.
Two high schools. American football is the second organized religion and high school football is taken very seriously.
Average income is $50,000, which I fall under considerably.
Average home value is $147,000, which I also fall under considerably.
There are 55 churches in the 74 square miles of the city.
The assistant city manager compares fire and police to public works employees (streets, water and sewer, parks and recreation, facility maintenance) as "Police and Fire are diamonds - PW are trash bags", direct quote.

It is quiet here.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Sandra Craft

Quotethere is a koala hospital

OK, I don't think anything beats a koala hospital.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 06, 2011, 03:28:13 PM
Quotethere is a koala hospital

OK, I don't think anything beats a koala hospital.
You know I think you may well be right, I couldn't think of anything either.

xSilverPhinx

This thread is making me want to travel :(

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on September 06, 2011, 02:15:57 AM

This is an area called "The Tablelands" in Gros Morne national park. I went hiking there a few years ago, and it feels like you're walking on the surface of mars.

There's a joke that goes around Brasília that says that if you removed all the vegetation from the preserved natural environments, it would look like Mars, because the soil is naturally red and very poor. But it couldn't beat this. Stunning scenery. Newfoundland looks very interesting.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jsprouse

I am from Texas, where you can never predict what the weather is going to do. Except for this summer it has been nothing, but really hot. Not everything is bigger in Texas, but everyone feels like they have to drive a big truck anyways :)

Siz

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 05, 2011, 09:53:56 PM
I'm from Brasília, which is the small planned Capital of Brazil, a symbol of modern architecture, is classified as a World Heritage (Unesco) and really pisses some people off.  8)
Especially those that feel a bit small in comparision, such as the southerners here, who live close to Argentina.  :-X

Truly beautiful!

I, however, am from a smeggy part of a putrid city in a miserable country. Just a molatov cocktail's-throw from the unwashed masses of looting, uneducated, miscreant London youth. The plan is to make my money in the big city then run for the hills... Meanwhile I'll stay here and moan about it in that inimitable English style...

And anyone who wants to tell me how lucky I am to live in such a country can come and experience for themselves how a Nanny-State can destroy a nation.

On the plus side, we've got Steven Hawking....

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!