News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

"Light at the end of a tunnel"

Started by MinnesotaMike, August 23, 2011, 04:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MinnesotaMike

In the media I've heard this a few times, referring to something people (supposedly) see immediately before or after they die. They speak of a long dark tunnel, and a light at the end of it that they are drawn to or feel they are moving towards. I was wondering what this phenomenon actually is. I'm not saying the light or tunnel has any significance, but the sense of motion and visualization intrigues me if these are indeed true accounts. So does anyone have any knowledge about what would cause this hallucination?
Absence of knowledge is not reason for faith.

I'm infallible (if I'm not mistaken)

Davin

Likely when the brain is starting back up and the eyes begin to pick up light again and transfer that information through the visual cortex. Pilots testing for extreme G's in the spinning chair experience the same hallucinations.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tank

I have had an odd experience that may be physiologically related. I had to have cataracts removed from my eyes using local anesthetic. On one occasion I retained very blurred vision during the operation. During the second operation all I could see was white, no texture or structure just white. I could not even tell if my eye was open or shut. I asked if this was usual and was told that the anesthetic had made its way around my eye-ball and stopped my optic nerve from working and the brains default condition is to see white, not black, under these circumstances.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on August 23, 2011, 06:25:39 PM
... and the brains default condition is to see white, not black, under these circumstances.

That's interesting. I didn't know that, used to think that we saw black.

The oxygen-deprived dying brain explanation fits well then I think.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 23, 2011, 07:37:39 PM
... and the brains default condition is to see white, not black, under these circumstances.

Exactly what I thought. It's counter intuitive isn't it!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on August 23, 2011, 07:53:28 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 23, 2011, 07:37:39 PM

Exactly what I thought. It's counter intuitive isn't it!

Like so much ;D

fester30

http://www.skepdic.com/nde.html

There is an article here about near death experiences.  The skepdic.com website has a lot of information about paranormal phenomenon like ghosts and psychics, as well as UFOs, ETs, etc.

MinnesotaMike

Just thought I'd say: I love this forum. Information ftw  :D
Absence of knowledge is not reason for faith.

I'm infallible (if I'm not mistaken)

xSilverPhinx

It's one of the best forums I've come across before. ;D

Sweetdeath

Thanks for bringing this up, Minnesota Mike, I am really learning a lot!

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

JuggernautJon

I have also heard somewhere that oxygen deprivation causes the brain to hallucinate. I'd guess that seeing the "light" or other manifestations are created to provide solace to a fearful person's dying brain. But thats just a shot in the dark from me. Dr Andrew Newberg studies "neurotheology" and has done extensive research of the brain and its reaction to various situations. I dont know for sure if he's studied the brain just before it expires but he's covered just about everything else. From his website:
"He has been fascinated by the implications of this research for the study of the mind, brain, consciousness, morality, theology, and philosophy. He has also been particularly interested in the relationship between the brain, religion, and health. His research has included brain scans of people in prayer, meditation, rituals, and various trance states. He has also performed surveys of people's spiritual experiences and attitudes. Finally, he has evaluated the relationship between religious and spiritual phenomena and health. This includes a recent study on the effect of meditation on memory.
In his career, he has also actively pursued neuroimaging research projects on the study of aging and dementia, Parkinson's disease, depression, and other neurological and psychiatric disorders. He has also researched the neurophysiological correlates of acupuncture, meditation, and alternative therapies, and how brain function is associated with mystical and religious experiences"
I come from the water

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.

The Magic Pudding