News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Medusa's Question Du Jour

Started by Medusa, July 18, 2011, 08:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medusa

Ok. I've done this particular thread on all the forums I've been on. I ask a daily question and you discuss. A lot of the times the question then gets moved into its own thread. Some will be of a serious nature while others are just to shoot the breeze. Hope you enjoy!

What is the truest thing that you know?
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

OldGit

(Serious, obvious, totally boring):  we will all die.

(More fun): democracy contains the seeds of its own destruction, which are now almost fully grown.

The Magic Pudding

Gravity, there may be some disreputable gravity out there that's been twisted by extreme circumstances, but I haven't met any.

Tank

Quote from: OldGit on July 18, 2011, 09:47:20 AM

That may no longer be absolutly true if one considers continued existence at a cellular level to be still alive. There was a lady (name escapes me ATM) who had cancerous cells removed sometime in the '60s(?). They went on to become the progenator line for cancer resrach cells. They are still around and I recall a figure of 50,000 tons have existed thus making her probably the heaviest organism ever to have existed. The clone line is likely to be used as long as there is cancer research. So this rather extends the time that a person could be considered 'alive', although I suppose that at some point the last clone cell will die, so your statement is basically correct.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

fester30

Quote from: Tank on July 18, 2011, 11:35:05 AM
Quote from: OldGit on July 18, 2011, 09:47:20 AM

That may no longer be absolutly true if one considers continued existence at a cellular level to be still alive. There was a lady (name escapes me ATM) who had cancerous cells removed sometime in the '60s(?). They went on to become the progenator line for cancer resrach cells. They are still around and I recall a figure of 50,000 tons have existed thus making her probably the heaviest organism ever to have existed. The clone line is likely to be used as long as there is cancer research. So this rather extends the time that a person could be considered 'alive', although I suppose that at some point the last clone cell will die, so your statement is basically correct.

OH NO HE DIDN'T!!!!  SNAP!!!

OldGit

That moni mon seith, soth hit ys ... Alle we shule deye, thah us like ylle.

Asmodean

The truest thing I know is that the truest thing I know may some time be proven completely and utterly false.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

The truest thing I know is that there is no truth.

At least I think that's true.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Medusa

Have you ever had a spiritual experience (an experience that cannot be explained by science)?
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

xSilverPhinx

I don't see any spiritual experiences as anything other than subjective experiences, and not anything supernatural or unreachable by science. So no.

My qualia and subjective experiences  won't be apparent in a brain scanner of any kind for some time I think, but I think that eventually even those could be better explained by science.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

fester30

My wife always seems to know when I'm looking at other women, even if I'm wearing sunglasses and doing my best to appear to look in a different direction and use my peripheral vision.

She also seems to know when I smoke a cigarette, even if I'm 9 time zones away.

So as you can see... I won't be thinking that I'll be able to get away with cheating on her.  I'll just keep it in my pants.

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: Medusa on July 19, 2011, 07:32:02 AM
Have you ever had a spiritual experience (an experience that cannot be explained by science)?

Oh yes, absolutely. It was truly a spiritual experience for me when I finally came to grips with the fact that the tide comes in, and the tide goes out - and you (and science) can't explain that!
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: fester30 on July 19, 2011, 11:50:06 AM
My wife always seems to know when I'm looking at other women, even if I'm wearing sunglasses and doing my best to appear to look in a different direction and use my peripheral vision.

Yes but you don't need to resort to the supernatural to explain this. 
It's the drool, it's a dead give away.

OldGit

I came close the first time I tasted Hobgoblin (English bitter beer by Wychwoods).

roy1967

Quote from: Medusa on July 19, 2011, 07:32:02 AM

No, not as yet, in 44 years....
The school is the last expenditure upon which America should be willing to economize.

Franklin D. Roosevelt