News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

What's your story?

Started by MommaSquid, July 10, 2006, 11:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aullios

Quote from: "Court"
Quote from: "Aullios"I never even thought about being agnostic, to be honest.  For me, it was all or nothing.  God doesn't exist because there's no reason for him to exist.

That sounds like me. I actually hadn't even heard the term "agnostic" until after I deconverted. I was pretty apathetic about the whole subject for a number of years, though I wouldn't have described myself as agnostic.

When I told my mother I was atheist, she asked me to "at least admit I was agnostic," as if it were some sort of consolation.

MommaSquid

Quote from: "Aullios"When I told my mother I was atheist, she asked me to "at least admit I was agnostic," as if it were some sort of consolation.

Maybe to her it seems "safer" to be agnostic.  

Having an opinion that is contrary to the beliefs of the masses is a pretty scary undertaking (for some).  Saying "I'm not sure" makes you seem doubtful or confused.  Saying "no, I completely disagree with millions of faithful people" makes you a heretic and an infidel.

(She probably can't admit that her child is an infidel.)

Hi, my name is MommaSquid, and I'm a heretic infidel.

Court

Quote from: "Aullios"When I told my mother I was atheist, she asked me to "at least admit I was agnostic," as if it were some sort of consolation.

I understand where she's coming from; from a christian point of view, agnostics seem like fence-sitters, someone whom you can convince to reconvert. It's not true, but that's the perception.

I haven't told my mom, but she would probably say something to that affect. Something like, "You can't possibly know there is no god," which is stupid as she can't possibly know that god does exist, or that there is no Easter Bunny.
That, and she would think it's a "college stage" that I'll grow out of...
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

Aullios

Quote from: "Court"That, and she would think it's a "college stage" that I'll grow out of...

That's what my mother thinks too.

Whenever we talk about religion, she always finishes with "One day you'll find out..." or something to that extent.

Court

Quote from: "Aullios"[

And that is why I haven't told my mom. She would simply insult my intelligence and question my maturity.
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

Big Mac

I hate when people say that.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Aullios

Quote from: "Big Mac"I hate when people say that.

It makes a lot of sense though, when you think about it.

As one matures, he gradually loses belief in superstions such as Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and Jack Frost.  These beliefs need to be supplanted by a stronger faith in God!

... or something.

Jassman

Yeah, it's much better when they take the slightly more interesting approach.

"One day you'll find out...
...when you're burning forever in hell ahahaha!!!"
[size=75]"You ever notice how people who believe in creationism look really unevolved?" -Bill Hicks[/size]

[size=75]I'm drowning in the fear of gods. The more I see the less I want. I was not raised

Big Mac

Well at that point I'd pull out my pistol and jab it right into their temple and say "Well you'll be there first, biotch!! HHAHAAH" *BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM* making red paint!!! :D
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?