News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

new guy

Started by abdulqawi, June 15, 2011, 08:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abdulqawi

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Jabbles

I am new here too, but welcome.

The Magic Pudding

Hello

I'm finding it hard to offer you a vigorous welcome, surely salutations deserved a capital S.

Whitney

Hi.

What's a "Cosmicist Theist"?

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Whitney on June 15, 2011, 03:19:36 PM
Hi.

What's a "Cosmicist Theist"?

Some kind of pious minimalist?

original_gender

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on June 15, 2011, 02:46:51 PM
Hello

I'm finding it hard to offer you a vigorous welcome, surely salutations deserved a capital S.

I second this. I mean, you have two shift keys and both of them pretty much hang out beneath your pinkys for the duration of the typing experience.

leedan

Welcome
Is it cosmism with an afterlife?

abdulqawi

tank: thanks!

jabbles: thank you!

magic pudding: grammar nazi or bad joke? either way, feel free to never address me again.

original_gender: you're funny. also feel free to never address me again.

whitney & leedan: i find the vision of cosmic terror and indifferentism to be a more realistic interpretation of our existence than any positive meaning system or hope-giving belief. to me disgust, loathing, and utter horror are among the more appropriate responses to the human existential situation.

leedan: in my view cosmism is probably just another futile attempt at imagining some sort of transcendence. this is it. it may have been better for us to never have existed at all. that is, if we assume that our experiences and lives have any more significance than that of a maggot -- or any significance at all -- which, of course, is simply illusory.

Whitney

so...since you didn't really give a direct answer....

a Cosmicist Theist is someone who thinks there is a god but that he is more like a satan and that life sucks?  If so...what a very strange type of god to imagine for yourself.

abdulqawi

whitney: i am a theist in this loose sense: i affirm the plausibility of god-like entities (for example extraterrestrial gods akin to the Lovecraft mythos, or perhaps the microbial superorganism that will likely consume your brain when you are dead); but this is somewhat peripheral to cosmicism. i defined the essence of cosmicism well enough above, namely cosmic terror and cosmic indifferentism. if you have reasons to believe that life is anything but a nihilistic horror i'd love to hear it. from where i stand we may as well be piles of dog excrement that happened to become conscious. after petty delusions of grandeur -- what some might call existential meaning-making -- i've come to the horrid realization that we're effectively transient piles of crap on a random rock, for no reason, lost in the infinite black. whatever we do or don't do, the illusions of value, purpose, goodness -- it's from nothing and returns to nothing. there is no escape and no salvation. the technological singularity will not transform us into indestructible superheroes; any gods that exist or will exist are rightly indifferent to us worms. the gods themselves are void.

original_gender

Tank

Would that be the original_gander (as in Goosy, Goosy Gander)? lol
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

original_gender

Quote from: Tank on June 16, 2011, 05:32:15 PM

The one and only.  ;D

Ya'll just got repri-ganded.

Tank

Quote from: original_gender on June 16, 2011, 06:10:25 PM
Quote from: Tank on June 16, 2011, 05:32:15 PM

The one and only.  ;D

Ya'll just got repri-ganded.
I'm trembling in my tracks  ;D