News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Public transportation (buses and trains) went on strike today and so have banks. There were public rallies and a few small riots here and there. Something was burnt in front of the university's entrance gate but I don't know what it was. Looked like rubber tires or something similar. There was even a police vehicle stationed at the location.

People think they'll be able to remove the acting president with these public manifestations of disapproval but I think that's highly unlikely. There are too many powerful people with interests, not to mention the whole lot implicated in corruption scandals...acting president included.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Arturo

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 29, 2017, 02:58:13 AM
Public transportation (buses and trains) went on strike today and so have banks. There were public rallies and a few small riots here and there. Something was burnt in front of the university's entrance gate but I don't know what it was. Looked like rubber tires or something similar. There was even a police vehicle stationed at the location.

People think they'll be able to remove the acting president with these public manifestations of disapproval but I think that's highly unlikely. There are too many powerful people with interests, not to mention the whole lot implicated in corruption scandals...acting president included.

I hear a lot of bad things coming from you about Brazil. I hope you and your country pull through prosperously.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Arturo on April 29, 2017, 03:33:53 AM

I hear a lot of bad things coming from you about Brazil. I hope you and your country pull through prosperously.

Brazil's hit a deep recession, and some economic projections estimate things haven't even hit rock bottom yet. If I could, I would leave in the near future but even those opportunities are shriveling up and dying as time passes.

Maybe it's just one of those economic cycles that happen every once in a while and things will get better in a few years but I don't know enough to tell.

:sad sigh:

Arturo

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 29, 2017, 03:41:21 AM
Quote from: Arturo on April 29, 2017, 03:33:53 AM

Brazil's hit a deep recession, and some economic projections estimate things haven't even hit rock bottom yet. If I could, I would leave in the near future but even those opportunities are shriveling up and dying as time passes.

Maybe it's just one of those economic cycles that happen every once in a while and things will get better in a few years but I don't know enough to tell.

:sad sigh:

That's what I thought about the USA and still do. We're in the same boat.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

I have been listening to the news about Brazil with some concern for you, Fernanda. Sadness for all Brazil but as a fellow HAFfer for you especially.

Many countries seem to be having similar problems, like Greece, even Italy with its rubbish mountains etc. Fraud, corruption, tax evasion seem endemic in some countries - crimes of greed. Brazil, with its reputation for violence, seems especially at risk. These cirrupt bastsrds seem to have only one idea for fuxing orobkens - come down even harder of the ordinary people and grab even more for themselves. Totally and utterly the reverse if what is needed.

In some ways I admired the Chinese when thry brought in the death sentence for corruption, though I do not know now how much they applied it, and I suspect it was aimed at the middle men, their top echelons seem to have a certain reputation as well but, of course, get away with it.

It may go in waves but South America in general seems to be in a parlous state at the moment. Let us hope there is, at least, a lightening of the situation in the near future.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

Well, I replaced my right front wheel bearing yesterday. Now I'm pretty sure the other side got jealous. And I need new axles but I've known about that for a bit. They aren't clicking but both outer boots are torn and it's only a matter of time. By the time I'm done there'll be a dang near new front end in the car. Might as well get a few ball joints and a couple of upper control arms to have on hand. And shocks... can't forget about the shocks. Tie rod ends, why the heck not?

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on April 30, 2017, 03:16:44 AM
Well, I replaced my right front wheel bearing yesterday. Now I'm pretty sure the other side got jealous. And I need new axles but I've known about that for a bit. They aren't clicking but both outer boots are torn and it's only a matter of time. By the time I'm done there'll be a dang near new front end in the car. Might as well get a few ball joints and a couple of upper control arms to have on hand. And shocks... can't forget about the shocks. Tie rod ends, why the heck not?
That's sounding like a serious money pit. But as you do it all you know the true condition of everything.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

So long as you do the work yourself it's quite a bit cheaper than finding something newer. Provided, of course, that you drive a Honda or another make that has readily available high quality parts for reasonable prices. If it was an Italian or greman vehicle I'd be a lot more apprehensive.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on April 30, 2017, 04:47:01 PM
So long as you do the work yourself it's quite a bit cheaper than finding something newer. Provided, of course, that you drive a Honda or another make that has readily available high quality parts for reasonable prices. If it was an Italian or greman vehicle I'd be a lot more apprehensive.

Yup, those damn gremans charge lots for spares! Don't believe the myths about the quality of greman work either.
:grin:

jumbojak

I have some German tools that are extremely high quality. Worth every penny of the premium because nobody makes cutters that even come close. Their cars though... not offering replacement PCV valves that would cost around twenty bucks in favor of getting an entire valve cover replacement is just silly. Oh yeah, don't even think about buying the aftermarket kits to fix that valve - Dorman, an American company, can't make one that works! :D

Now that I think about it, Dorman can't seem to make ANYTHING that works. ???

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on April 30, 2017, 05:07:17 PM
I have some German tools that are extremely high quality. Worth every penny of the premium because nobody makes cutters that even come close. Their cars though... not offering replacement PCV valves that would cost around twenty bucks in favor of getting an entire valve cover replacement is just silly. Oh yeah, don't even think about buying the aftermarket kits to fix that valve - Dorman, an American company, can't make one that works! :D

Now that I think about it, Dorman can't seem to make ANYTHING that works. ???

Yeah, there are premium tools etc, though for pliers and similar I go for Swedish. But at work I found German pumps etc of similar quality to anyone elses. Globalisation and the mergering (akin to "murdering" at times) of companies tends to flatten out the peaks but does not always fill in the dips! Has to be to price rather than quality so often - I know, spent thousands trimming pennies off the price of products.  :(

And yes, usually more economic for a company to make and sell an assembly as a spare, rather than components, if you have a captive audience. But makes a joke of preseving resources and recycling more expensive, if done at all, breaking up and sorting the materials.

The only real excuse is that if they have been clever in matching component service lives then if part A has failed parts B onwards are due to fail soon after. Changing one worn-out cog in a gearbox leaves a whole lot of mostly very worn other cogs! But, the gearbox case is usually good for a while yet... This assumes "normal" usage and not a vehicle that spends its life climbing 45% hills in first and decending them in second - never using 3rd upwards!

jumbojak

I've noticed that globalization has rediced quality on the "little things" more than primary function. Recently replaced a tie rod and the Moog replacement was great. A very high quality piece except for one little issue in that the threads were buggered up right nicely where it screws into the rack!

Now, that wasn't too serious of a problem for me as I have a selection of thread repair files but I could imagine something like that leaving a lot of people flummoxed. It's a small detail like that that can leave a bad taste in someone's mouth.

Also, what Sweedish pliers do you favour? The only brand springing to mind is Bahco. You can get them through Snap On Industrial here but they seem to want nearly as much as the Snappies.

Dave

Yeah, Bahco is good. But can't get the choice here in the UK unless you have access to a trade catalogue. Most tools in DIY stores are either pricey or crappy branded stuff. Small hacksaw blade bought in a builders' supply depot had lost all its teeth half way through a 1/4" mild steel bolt...

Actually, one of the pairs of side-cutter pliers I have is great and came from "Poundland" - where, as it sounds, everything is a pound! I bought a set of three 12 inch long masonery bits, for £1, there as well, only needed to drill one hole in a wall then and was happy if they lasted one hole each. Still using and lending them out about 10 years later!

jumbojak

I'm very particular about hacksaw blades. It's much better to spend the cash on a good bimetal blade that actually cuts. Just picked up a pack of made in England bimetal blades for my mini hacksaw. The thing is handy but decent blades are so hard to find I haven't been able to use it for a while.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on April 29, 2017, 04:12:50 AM
I have been listening to the news about Brazil with some concern for you, Fernanda. Sadness for all Brazil but as a fellow HAFfer for you especially.

Many countries seem to be having similar problems, like Greece, even Italy with its rubbish mountains etc. Fraud, corruption, tax evasion seem endemic in some countries - crimes of greed. Brazil, with its reputation for violence, seems especially at risk. These cirrupt bastsrds seem to have only one idea for fuxing orobkens - come down even harder of the ordinary people and grab even more for themselves. Totally and utterly the reverse if what is needed.

In some ways I admired the Chinese when thry brought in the death sentence for corruption, though I do not know now how much they applied it, and I suspect it was aimed at the middle men, their top echelons seem to have a certain reputation as well but, of course, get away with it.

It may go in waves but South America in general seems to be in a parlous state at the moment. Let us hope there is, at least, a lightening of the situation in the near future.

:sadnod: