News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Tank on April 21, 2017, 06:39:35 AM
What was your previous user name?
I have a terrible memory for names.

Found it. Check your private mail if you have not already done so.  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Biggus Dickus

I sense something. A presence I've not felt since...
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

jumbojak

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: jumbojak on April 21, 2017, 03:15:13 PM
Since when Bruno?

Since 2016 at least JJ, prior to the election at least...welcome back. Hope all is well with you since we last chatted.

Still sporting that scruffy, tickley beard? ;D

Magdalena

Holy Cow! It is JJ:o
I thought it was Siz or the Magic Pudding pretending to be you.  >:(
Good to see you again.  :hug:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Velma

My father and I have been estranged for years. Today I found out he had been shot and killed Wednesday by a man he was sharing a house with. The guy has turned himself in and confessed. There will be an autopsy next week.

Right now, I'm not sure how I feel.

Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Icarus

Bummer Velma.  You have enough problems as it is. Now this.  Sorry that you have to endure more life complications.

Recusant

Great to see you here again, jumbojak:frolic:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

I'm sorry to hear about your family tragedy, Velma:sadnod:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Velma

Quote from: Icarus on April 21, 2017, 08:56:58 PM
Bummer Velma.  You have enough problems as it is. Now this.  Sorry that you have to endure more life complications.
Quote from: Recusant on April 21, 2017, 11:10:43 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your family tragedy, Velma:sadnod:

Thank you. I've not have much to do with him for nearly 20 years. Still debating whether or not to go the funeral. I hate the idea of flying, but it would be at least a 10 hour drive.

No idea when the funeral is. The body has been sent for autopsy, which won't happen until next week.

I was the first one contacted by the county coroner. Apparently I was the only contact on his cell phone with the same last name. The news is slowly spreading to the rest of the family.

Still not sure how I feel.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Velma on April 21, 2017, 11:12:54 PM

Still not sure how I feel.

So sorry for all this, Velma.  However estranged you were (and I do know what that's like) getting this news must have been quite a shock, and it'll take you awhile to sort it out emotionally.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Magdalena

Quote from: Velma on April 21, 2017, 08:32:37 PM
My father and I have been estranged for years. Today I found out he had been shot and killed Wednesday by a man he was sharing a house with. The guy has turned himself in and confessed. There will be an autopsy next week.

I'm sorry to hear about this, Velma:(

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Velma on April 21, 2017, 08:32:37 PM

I'm sorry Velma, estranged or not this will be I'm sure a very difficult time for you...I hope you find some peace.

Velma

Thanks everyone. It will take some time to sort this all out emotionally.

One of the local papers ran an article about it. Not mentioned in the article is the fact that my father had begun showing signs of dementia.

http://www.sunherald.com/news/local/crime/article145936034.html

jumbojak

That's rough Velma. I hope you make it through alright.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz